Draw when off (with neutral installation)

I can’t seem to find any information about power usage when off. I was rather shocked to see the 25w for the non-neutral. I’m assuming that it’s MUCH lower when used with a neutral,

With a potential 40 switch installation having my light switches using 8+gwh per year seems… ridiculous

Did you obtain the 25W figure from a dimmer spec sheet? If so, that refers to the minimum load required for it to work properly. i.e. You need 25W of controlled lights OR you need to install a bypass. I don’t think that it means the switch draws a constant 25W.

I honestly don’t know what the switch draws, but it’s probably the same for a neutral or non-neutral. Whatever it is, it’s enough to power the radio. I haven’t seen a published stat, so I’d put an ammeter in series and measure it that way.

Honestly, I’m a little concerned about it. Most manufacturers brag about their low draw, but I can’t find the info. I know, as an example, that Shellys draw around 1 watt when not active…

Great question – let me ask the manufacturer tonight!

Thanks! I’m surprised that this is the first time this is coming up…

Yeah, I swore someone asked this before and I think I remember reaching out to the manufacturer but I couldn’t find anything in my Team’s convo with them, so I may have dreamt it!

They should have an answer for me tonight – they’re really quick.

Stupid question, but… do you not do the engineering? Isn’t there a design specification? Don’t get me wrong – I appreciate your asking and I appreciate the quick turnaround, but I’m just curious…

LZW31-SN, with neutral and no load attached draws about 0.4 watts for me:

It also draws about 0.5-0.6 watts when turned on at 100% with no load attached. Hope this helps.

That’s MUCH better. Now… can we get some in stock? :wink:

Thanks!

Not a stupid question at all!

Believe it or not, there’s 6 of us here. I know we may come off as a larger company, but right now we’re a tight knit group that’s just excited about home automation.

Things will definitely change in the coming month (or two) - not the passion, but the size and experience of our company - but for now, it’s just us.

The way it works right now is we outsource the engineering side to the manufacturer. My background is in marketing/business, Nathan’s is in sales, Eric M is in computer science, Brianna’s is in Social Marketing, Courtney’s is in business and Nate’s is in customer service.

To give you an example of how a project comes to life, we kick off what’s called a PRD (Project Request Document). This has all the wishes, hopes and dreams of what we want our project to be. We sketch up a design, tell them what it needs to have and why and they come back with the finished product.

An example of a project from start to finish would be Project Hurricane:

We asked for the firmware and hardware bullet points, and had the manufacturer figure it out. Yes, it comes at a cost, but we don’t have the capital to invest in an engineer at this time.

Hopefully that helps clarify a bit?

2 Likes