Dual in-wall outlet with BOTH outlets controllable

I can’t believe NOBODY makes a Z-Wave/Zigbee dual outlet where both outlets are controllable.

Or bring back your Dual Outdoor Z-Wave Plug. Though I’d prefer the in-wall option.

6 Likes

This was discussed on the Hubitat forums recently, and it was noted that’s actually a code requirement. I can’t find the post off hand, but unless electrical code changes I don’t think we will see dual in-wall outlet control.

1 Like

Hmmm. So how come Insteon makes one for their proprietary protocol? Insteon Remote Control Dual On/Off Outlet

It would be interesting to see what the code is. I have outlets in my house where the top plug is switch controlled and the bottom is always on.

I really do like this idea! There a quite a few applications I can think of.

According to the thread (here), the NEC regulations explicitly prohibit it. The logic being it’s a safety concern.

2 Likes

I have a whole house full of the Insteon dual control outlets; they work great.
The only thing that I wish they had, was power monitoring.

1 Like

I have so been wishing this existed. Kasa has a wifi one, but I want Zigbee or Z wave.

1 Like

There is even one from a brand called Geeni for not much: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/geeni-smart-wi-fi-in-wall-outlet-white/6388609.p?skuId=6388609&gad_source=1

And one from ConnectSense for much more: In-Wall Smart WiFi Outlet - iOS & Android Compatible – ConnectSense but they also have a 20A option.

Both allow control of both outlets, but they are both WiFi connected.

I would much prefer a Z-Wave dual controlled outlet with energy monitoring myself, but haven’t found one yet. Will probably need to go with the TPLink one if Inovelli doesn’t come up with one in the next couple years.

And now there is this recently funded Kickstarter with dual controllable outlets

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/intecular/invisoutlet

The 15A dual independent controllable outlets allow you to effortlessly control your plugged-in appliances with ease. Furthermore, InvisOutlet is designed with tamper resistance, to keep you and all your loved ones (especially your family) safe and secure.

Also 2.4Ghz WiFi, of course.

Well I guess we won’t have to wait much longer…

Eve announced a dual control in-wall outlet with HomeKit and Matter support, coming 2024!

1 Like

Just checking in on the forums for this post, and I saw that there is actually an inovelli project in development! Zigbee Wall Outlet | Project Jambry - #96 by BigPete