Dumb Switch That Matches?

So after a few days of research I found myself here. I originally thought I would go with some basic HomeKit switches, but nothing really satisfied what I wanted from a design or functionality stand point. Fast forward and I just preordered 10 pack of the blue. Now the plan is to not have every room be a smart switch and often times this means that the smart switch will be right next to a dumb switch. Anyone have any luck with dimmer switches that match the thickness / depth / color / etc to this switches. I get there won’t be the LED function and the dimmer will either be a button or bar lever, but I’m okay with that.

1 Like

I’ve looked at dozens of brands. They are all different enough that if you are picky (like I and ESPECIALLY my wife are) you will notice and be bothered by the difference.

Your choices are going to be:
1- Live with the differences.
2- Go with a brand that does both smart and dumb switches in the same style.
3- Install Smart Switches everywhere (my personal choice.)

4 - Inovelli Aux Switch

1 Like

I think he is looking for a dumb switch that actually switches load though. Aux is only meant to be a remote unit for the blue/red switches/dimmers.

Ah. I was thinking 3-way

Thanks, honestly this is what I figured. I’m a notch before OCD, so I can live with some differences, which is ultimately why I was playing with the inovelli switches, because the only thing I’d be sacrificing is this, not actual functionally if I went with a brand like GE that does both.

Option three was on my list, but I have some many two way, three way switches etc that’s it’s almost a waste of money. I suppose a compromise is smart switches almost everywhere but then doing the aux switches. I think that is how they would work in theory.

I just looked up the AUXs. Say I have a two or three way switch. Could I use the blue in say the main area (kitchen) and then the AUX on the two hallways that would be connected to the kitchen lights, is that how this work?

Just for clarity, a 3-way switch has 2 switches, I think what you’re saying is you have a bunch of 3/4-way’s?

Yes, that’s exactly how it works. I have a blue in my kitchen, with an aux connected up where previously I had a dumb switch that controlled the same lights. The aux doesn’t directly control the load, just basically communicates back to the blue to turn on/off/dim, trigger scenes, etc.

Yes, sorry that’s what I meant. Hmm I will have to look into this. I don’t mind having mismatched switches in different rooms, but if it sits in the same room or close by I want some level of uniformity. Plus, it’s new construction so I need to replace all of the old school toggles with dimmer switches anyway so really I could just do blues / auxs on the main living space that is open where those three and four ways are and get some regular lutron dimmers for the other rooms that are single switches and closed off.

Yes, aux basically gives you “smart” functionality at the non-load switch location. It’s great that Inovelli is giving us this option, and with the blues you even have multi-tap scene control!

1 Like

I wanted to bump this thread for for some visibility back to the original question. I am eagerly awaiting my preorder of blue switches and will be replacing dumb toggle style switches. I do not plan on making every one of my circuits smart, so I will have some switch banks that need dumb paddle switches for visual continuity and for switch plate compatibility reasons. Assuming the blues will visually match the reds… Does anyone have a recommendation for a dumb switch that would be the closest fit in terms of color (shade of white) and general design?

Honestly, any paddle style switch (single, 3-way or 4 way) should match the shape of the Blue Series. If you really want color matching to be as close as it can be, then you could opt for the Lutron Claro paddle switch ( @Eric_Inovelli - White or Snow White?). I prefer not to pay $9/switch for a dumb switch, so I will mostly opt for the cheaper Leviton branded switches where the Blue or Aux switches won’t be installed (guest room closets). The Lutron Claro wall plate would be the best wall plate match too.

I would just wait to have them and bring it to the store to “color match”. You may save yourself some money.

1 Like

What @harjms said. It boils down to how close of a color match you want. For example, this is two Pass & Seymour dumb switches with an Inovelli in the middle. The Inovelli is a slightly different white, but despite all the minor things that bother me, I never give this a thought.

2 Likes

I ended up using an Eaton switch from Lowes. Eaton and Leviton were most readily available at my local big box home improvement stores. I doesn’t really come through in the picture, but the white of the Eaton is a slightly cooler hue than the Leviton. Plus, I didn’t like the Leviton having the brand name embossed in the corner of the switch paddle

This kills me too! Glad I’m not the only one.