Dynamically set Red Series LED strip color in WebCoRE

Try this:

• Delete child devices
  • Go into parent device and change a setting (any setting), then change it back
  • save or done or whatever.

New child devices should be created automatically. You shouldn’t be “creating” devices in IDE or anywhere. They are created when you set up a notification in the parent’s settings (set color/duration, type, etc.).

Ok so now when I go to the smartthings dashboard and look at my switch it says:

Child Devices: Office Lights (Light LED - When Off) and Office Lights (Light LED)

These I’m assuming are my two child devices that were created? Nothing seems to have changed in webcore though. I’m not sure how to actually use them.

Thanks!

1 Like

If you look at the device ID in the Smartthings IDE, do they match the parent ID with a _ep### after them?

If so, once created in ST, you have to go to the settings of the Webcore app on your phone and ensure they are shared with Webcore again. Then you can go into dashboard and refresh and it should pick the NEW child devices up.

You are saying that when I click on devices on the dashboard there should be a separate entry for these child devices? What I listed above was in the table after I clicked on the switch. I currently don’t see new devices in the device list.

Back with an update. I have the child devices working. They show up in the Smartthings App and I can use them to control the LED (really helpful). However, I can’t seem to get webcore to list them as an available device.

FWIW, I have set the LED color in webCore without the child devices.

Yea you can do that, but unless it has been changed the problem was that the level only works if the switch is on. While the switch is off the level part is ignored. It defaults to whatever level is assigned to off in the switch settings. This is at least what was happening 4 months ago or so. A lot of what I’m trying to do is have the LED’s work independently of the switch state.

Edit: I just did a quick test and I can confirm this is still the case.

Got it. We are talking about two separate things. I was addressing setting the color and you are talking about setting the illumination level.

Yea I’m really trying to do both. Color options are pretty limited when you are forced into 100% illumination level. So like with your example though that light should look different when the switch is on vs off unless you also have the off illumination level set to 47%.

Did you go into the Webcore settings and allow Webcore to see them? It’s within the Webcore SmartApp (within the smartthings app), settings, then allowerd devices or something like that (I moved away from ST a while ago).

Edit: ST app > SmartApps > webCoRE > Settings > Available devices and contacts > Available devices

That’s the part I’m stuck at. I went into the webcore settings to add them as a device and they aren’t showing up. I checked every available category for good measure just in case. I’m assuming that since the child devices aren’t showing up in the Smartthings IDE they also aren’t visible to Webcore.

What did you move to? Smarthings has slowly been making me more frustrated, but I need functionality similar to webcore.

I responded to your post over in the ST forum. There is something weird going on in the IDE for some users where you can’t change settings of devices that have a custom DH, either in the app OR the IDE. Right now I can’t change any Inovelli switch settings, either in the app or the IDE. I can’t even change the room in the IDE. It’s hard to say if your issue is related, but nothing would surprise me.

Lol I saw that you responded as I was finishing writing my message. I was like wait a second…

I haven’t done a ton yet this morning in the IDE, but I haven’t run into that issue yet. Idk I’m thinking about just modifying the Device Handler to do what I want. I’m a little worried the child device solution is going to be glitchy even if I get it working now. The child devices have now disappeared from the switch on the IDE, however they are still there as devices in the app. Still not on the devices list though on the IDE.

Yeah, I dunno. I’ll let you know if/when this issue clears up.

The funny thing is I discovered this issue when I tested changing the LED color via webCore, and then couldn’t put it back via the app. I wound up changing it again with webCore.

The IDE issue I referenced has been resolved, so give it another shot.

Not sure if this is the “same” issue you are having or not. I want a fairly simple Webcore app that will have the LED strip turn red if I left my garage door open at night.

I have that piece of it working. If the garage door is open the LED strip turns red. Using the set color (h,s,l) That works.

I can’t seem though to get it back to “normal” when using the piston. When my only 'if was whether the door was open, the LED would stay red and at 100% even after the door closed. So then I added an else and set it back to blue (again using set color (h,s,l).

This “works,” but I would prefer that the LED pull the “original” settings of the LED from the app.

I think you need to go about this a bit differently. You’re not using notifications (red series, right?) and you ought to be.

The purpose of a notification is to set the LED and pattern a certain way while the notification exists and then go back to “normal” when the notification clears. You’re setting the equivalent of a notification in webCore, but that color then becomes the new normal.

Instead, create a notification within the switch’s settings. That will create a child object for the notification which you can turn on and off in webCore. When you turn the notification off, it will go back to the original non-notification settings.

1 Like

I agree. :+1:

That is one way, and probably simplest to implement. If you only have a couple notifications its fine, but if you really get into using the notificaitons (like I do) then I’m not too keen on creating all the extra child devices for each different notification.

The other way is to set Parameter16 to the desired value and then setting it back to 0 when you want the notification to stop. Get the desired value from here: Inovelli Switch Toolbox

1 Like