Fan/Light Switch Disconnection Issue Thread

I took it out and sent it back to Aartech for RMA as offered by Courtney.

On the last few months that I used it the factory resets were so frequent that I just didn’t bother pairing it with HS each time. Zwave communication was never an issue. Only RF.

1 Like

This issue started happening about 3 months ago and it is getting more and more frequent. I’ve had the 700ms and ramp speeds off since the beginning. I recently turned off power monitoring to see if it can help, which it did not.

Actually neither of these are true for me. Mine is the OG unit (its way up high), and it was always used with delay for scene control.

No, this was only on my 1.36 switch which has now been downgraded to 1.31. All of the 1.31 switches (never updated since they worked) are working just fine.

Purchased from you. Update in progress…

• 9 Mar 2021
  • ~7 ft.
  • 72F inside
  • Home Assistant, Zooz ZST10
  • Light Dimming Speed = 2
    Light Ramp Rate (Z-Wave) = 0
    Light Ramp Rate = 0
    Default Light Level = 99
    Instant On = Enabled
  • Unknown LED
  • Light, don’t recall it has happened with fan
  • No patterns notified yet, very intermittent

Other notes:

• Canopy shroud is metal
  • Switch is inside old metal gang box

January 13, 2021

8’

75 inside, outside varies from 55 overnight to 80 during the day

Home Assistant

Yes: LED on brightness and notifications.

Integrated LED, can’t be more than 10W.

Disconnect has happened twice: once during a power outage, and once during an HA core/ZwaveJS upgrade.

No, service interruptions have occurred only during system updates or power outages.

I have set “instant on” for some Black Series switches in my house, but I don’t even see that as a configurable parameter on the Red Series light/fan switch.

I only recently enabled the “Instant On” when I moved from Hubitat to ZWaveJS which was 3 weeks ago. That would also be the only change in my setup but the issue started with this one almost on day 1 and persists today.

Just a thought, could it be interference on the frequency used to communicate? WiFi Channel, Zigbee Channel etc??

Firmware 1.36 added this functionality: https://support.inovelli.com/portal/en/kb/articles/firmware-v1-36-beta-lzw36-fan-light-red-series

Other issues: This was my first Inovelli purchase. I had these cheap bulbs and when configuring the dim levels, there isn’t much difference in the brightness. They go from off to perhaps 75% brightness one step up, then further increments get a tad brighter. I figured they were cheap and not very good as they were discounted heavily at the store. Then I installed a Red switch in my hallway which used the same bulbs. That one is able to dim down low, medium, high just beautifully. While my fan/light switch only flickers like the older thread very rarely, I lived with it and procrastinated for so long as in “One day I’ll get on the community forum and look at doing that RMA stuff for it…” Until this week.

Ah. I only really need it for the Black Series switches. I use multi-tap scene control on most of my Red Series switches.

1 Like

As far as I am aware there is no multi-tap capabilities for black series.

Yes. Exactly.

Just wanted to update that on HA/ZJS since this thread has been posted I have not had a single issue on my 1.31 that was having issues.

• Date switch was purchased
    11-2-2020
  • Approximate distance from switch to fan canopy
    7ft
  • Approximate internal temperature (in house) and external temperature (outside)
    76internal 86 external
  • What is your hub/gateway (ie: SmartThings, Hubitat, etc)?
    Hubitat
  • What firmware version are you on (if you don’t know, leave blank, but it’s helpful)?
  • Have you made any parameter changes?
    No
  • Approximate wattage of your bulbs
    5w x3
  • Does the disconnection happen when using the fan, the light or both?
    Light (never use fan to notice)
  • Do you notice any patterns (ie: time of day, time since last disconnection, etc)?
    No patterns. Its my guest room and they have been complaining that they get stuck off. Glad they arent getting stuck on :slight_smile:
1 Like

Be careful not to short your wires/switch with lining the box. This sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I should add this note to post #15 above… I have two of these in my house. The one I purchased April 14, 2021 also has firmware 1.34 and does not produce the same disconnection issue as the other one purchased January 13, 2021.

I’m on day 4 with no control of this light or fan.

I updated the firmware to 1.36 on my switch. It’s not behaving any better.

I have two and have issues with both.

Purchased: August 9th 2020
Received: Mid October 2020

Purchased: Oct 20th 2020

20 feet

Internal: 70
Outside: 20F - 100F [happens at any temp]

Home Assistant

No

No lights in fan, I just use the light button and dimmer as a scene controller.

Just the fan, never had an issue with the light button.

Yes, when I really don’t feel like getting out of bed to mess with it.

Date switch was purchased

September 2020
Received replacement for switch and canopy on October 2020
Received replacement for switch only on May 2021

Approximate distance from switch to fan canopy

13ft

Approximate internal temperature (in house) and external temperature (outside)

55-75 internal 0-85 external

What is your hub/gateway (ie: SmartThings, Hubitat, etc)?

Smartthings

What firmware version are you on (if you don’t know, leave blank, but it’s helpful)?

Have you made any parameter changes?

No

Approximate wattage of your bulbs

Does the disconnection happen when using the fan, the light or both?

Both

Do you notice any patterns (ie: time of day, time since last disconnection, etc)?

No

• Date switch was purchased

4/30/2021

• Approximate distance from switch to fan canopy

~20ft

• Approximate internal temperature (in house) and external temperature (outside)

72F inside, 70-80F outside

• What is your hub/gateway (ie: SmartThings, Hubitat, etc)?

Smartthings

• What firmware version are you on (if you don’t know, leave blank, but it’s helpful)?

• Have you made any parameter changes?

Few minor adjustments (e.g. min level, ramp rate)

• Approximate wattage of your bulbs

~10 (uncertain - LED housing within light/fan unit)

• Does the disconnection happen when using the fan, the light or both?

Both

• Do you notice any patterns (ie: time of day, time since last disconnection, etc)?

Haven’t been able to reconnect since connection initially lost. Lost after running fan overnight. I’d had trouble connecting initially but no issues for the 6 weeks or so since until now

1 Like