Fan/Light Switch (LZW36) Suggestions and/or Improvements 2.0

Good to know! Now to get the bulbs working right on it.

I would love it if the fan part of the controller didn’t react to me telling google to turn my lights on. (connected through smartthings)

I just want the fan to be seen as a fan and not a light. The light on the fan can still be seen as a light.

What hub? This can be done, just need to know the hub that you are working with so I can instruct properly.

Essentially, when set up you should get 3 entities/components. One is for both fan/light (sounds like what you are using) then 2 more for the fan control and light control only.

1 Like

I’m guessing the fan and light are one object in GH, so they both turn on? Take a look at this article to see if that solves your issue:

Dangit I was thinking this weekend about adding this as it would be SO NICE to have next to my bed. But alas @amdbuilder beat me to it :D.

Anyone know of a z-wave 4-button controller? I guess I could go zigbee and use the tradfri setup, but then that requires the hub to be involved.

If you can wait, Inovelli is working on a 5 button

I don’t think that’s going to work so hot on @kreene1987’s nightstand . . .

I think he’s referring to a button controller.

Touche

Yeah “remote” is probably a better word. Battery operated, get’s constantly lost, never in the right place remote. :smiley:

1 Like

You could bolt a box to your nightstand, double gang the closest receptacle and do a BX drop to the box. It would give it that industrial look . . . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like
  • Smaller canopy module with zwave radio rather than RF
  • Button presses on the current switch are pretty “mushy”. For the price it should feel more clicky/satisfying
1 Like

I would put “performance issues” (specially if firmware related) at the top of the list.
Fan takes too long to respond.

+1. The high speed in my fan is like a hurricane. I never use it. Would be nice to keep breeze mode in between 1 and 2 (in my case) and maybe even determine the time it switches between the selected speeds (different people have different ideas of “comfortable”).

+1. I would add to this by suggesting we set a different color per speed.

While I do agree with @kreene1987 that remotes are misplaced all the time, I delayed the use of these switches myself until I could find a nice and intuitive remote control.

For me it is almost like having a tv without a remote.

I went with Lutron pico. They look nice and they have fan icons.
I make it foolproof by having two remotes side by side for fan and lights, no need for people to guess anything.

My kids bedside (I did the same on every bedroom and both sides of the sofa in the family room):

1 Like
  1. A fan switch without needing the canopy.

2. The physical switch needs to be narrower and possibly thinner. The switch is scrapping the 2 gang mud ring, I have to push the switch all the way to one side in order to push the switch all the way in.

1 Like

Like this?

1 Like

Control Multple Canopys from one switch, room with 3 fans/lights just control them all together etc…

Actually, I want a light and fan switch but without using a canopy just both the fan and light load wires run all the way to the switch.

But a standalone fan switch will be good too.

What happened with this project?

1 Like

Issues with the old manufacturing company.

1 Like

Will they release this in the future?

I would consider the LZW36 as obsolete. There is talks about creating another version in the future, but will take some time.

1 Like