Fan & Light Switch (Project Hurricane)

Yeah, all the buttons should send central scene reports to the hub like our switch and dimmer. So no worries there.

1 Like

WoooHooo!!!

Is that an Ohio State logo at the bottom left :eyes:?

Did @anon14959390 put you up to this?!

I love it!

@Eric_Inovelli, @Ma2J knows what’s up!

Best college football team in the country!

Oh geez… I wish I could respond in simply a GIF.

LOL! That wasn’t necessarily my intent… But now we know what buttons to push LOL! Ohio State and vertical faceplate screws…

1 Like

Haha, good news is it’s @Micah_Inovelli and @Courtney_Inovelli who are U of M fans, so I really don’t have a beef with OSU. But the vertical screws… oh yeah, that’s where things go south for me lol.

1 Like

Can this switch be used without the module in the fan’s canopy ? I have the fan and fan-light wires in the switch box (currently using 2 separate Zwave switches).

@Eric_Inovelli, Sorry if this question has already been asked. It appears the switch itself doesn’t have tabs. Correct? If it does, can they be removed just like the on/offs and not impact performance?

Great question – no, unfortunately we were unable to do this with this round.

We’re hoping to get to it in V2.

Yes, that’s correct – great eye! There will be no heat sink tabs on this switch, so it will be much easier to put the switch in a double gang-box without having to break off the tabs.

EDIT: Let me explain further. There’s no need for heat sink tabs on this switch bc the dimming components are actually housed in the fan module instead of the switch. Therefore, there’s no need to dissipate heat via the tabs at the switch.

Cool!!! So is it a possibility that this tabless front end getting used on V2 of the On/Off Switches?

Possibly. I’m definitely pushing for it. The only reason there are tabs on the On/Off’s now is bc the dimmers and On/Off’s share the same metal plate and the dimmers require the heat sink tabs.

But I’m definitely interested in finding a way to get rid of them all together!

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to these any word on pre-orders or aren’t you planning to do that any more?

Thanks.

This word makes me want to crawl under my desk and never return lol

With some of the turnaround at the manufacturer, we will probably open up pre-orders when we have a solid date that we can hold them accountable to.

Nice to see you’re open to pre-orders though after the last botched attempt!

There are only a few companies that make home automation products that seem to really be willing to talk to help and listen to it’s end users to get the products they really want out there so when I find one I have no problems pre-ordering since I know you and I both want the product right before shipping. I currently have no way to do firmware updates (Hubitat doesn’t do OTA yet) on any devices so if they shipped with a major firmware issue or worse yet a hardware issue it would be much worse than waiting an extra month or two.

2 Likes

If the product hasn’t been created yet, and I decide to pre-order, that is blind faith in you. If you actually deliver and support the product (I’m still waiting lol) I’m happy. If you create a whole community in the process, we are all batting 1000.

If you are a stranger to this company, I suppose it is a crapshoot, as it was when I pre-ordered, but after following for 5 or 6 months, I am just anxious to receive and get them installed. Looking forward to more products. Yes I will pre-order if available

Great job Eric(s) Brianna and everyone else

1 Like

I can’t believe that I haven’t heard of you or this project until now. This has been a missing piece of the home automation system I have been putting together for the past few years. It was a bummer in the past at my old place, and really became an issue when I bought my new house and set out to get serious about automation. I came close recently to retrofitting RF remotes, but then the wall switch is battery powered and I don’t have remote feedback of the state. All I wanted was for every room that only has a single switched wire running to the fan to be the same as the room with two that has both z-wave fan controls and dimmers in them.

I finally resigned myself to the fact that nothing out there was going to make me happy, and it just wasn’t practical to design and build one myself (even though I’m an engineer). So, I ordered 2-gang retrofit boxes and was going to spend next week in my attic snaking new romex through the walls. I saw mention of your dimmers somewhere, came to check them out, and found this.

I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU for all your work, and I can’t wait to get my hands on these!

1 Like

Posted an update guys – sorry for the delay here.

TLDR: There is a delay on these now due to resource allocation at the manufacturer (there was only one firmware engineer allocated to us and he was tied up working on our dimmer). We’re looking at mid-March 2020 now. However, they did just hire in two new engineers and assigned them to us, so we’re pushing for a February launch. We will have this product at CES 2020 and this is, and will remain, our top priority for 2020.

Thanks man, I sincerely appreciate that!

Well hello! Glad you found us :slight_smile:

We’re a little quirky, enjoy using GIF’s and heck, usually misspell things, but we’re passionate about home automation and love having fun with you guys!

Yeah, it’s amazing that no one has come up with a solution to this yet quite honestly. I remember back when I started down the HA journey myself about 5yrs ago, this was the missing piece as well. Then, when we (Inovelli) threw out a product poll on Facebook a couple years back, fan+light was always the #1 most requested item with #2 being a non-neutral switch. Glad we can finally knock out both of them!

Right back at ya – honestly, if it wasn’t for everyone letting us know what they want, a lot of these projects wouldn’t be on our radar – it’s exciting to be able to deliver something that means a lot to people and selfishly allows us to complete our houses too lol.

Any plans for a remote control? I know I can use a Minimote via Smartthings but I like the idea of a dedicated remote with the right pictures on it.

I hate having to explain “Button 1 turns light on and off”. “Holding button 1 dims it up and down”. “Button 2 cycles through the 4 speeds and off”.

I get it but my family wants easy pictures.

I just want to say I’m so excited to see this product come to fruition. I have 5 bedrooms each with a fan/light combo via 3-way wire, and this is EXACTLY what I need to control both from one outlet (I added the fans to the existing light-only, was lucky it was 3-way for switched outlets and swapped those to always-on and made the fan switched).

WOOHOO!!!