Fan Switch | Project Windy City - ON HOLD

@rsjaffe This is the point I was trying to make. Why leave ambiguity and unnecessary confusion? I’m coming from the world of web development where different functions are made to look different to the user. For example look at the “Reply” and “Cancel” buttons when writing a reply on this site. That concept might not translate as directly as I thought to a non-virtual world, so I’ll defer to those with experience.

But if the general consensus is uniformity, should I not mix dimmers and on/off switches in the same gang because they look different? I have a fan control, a light switch, and one for an outlet all in the same gang, but it seems wrong to have a dimmer switch control an outlet that should only be on or off. Yes, I know I can do whatever I want, but I’m interested in opinions.

@Eric_Inovelli Thanks for the reply. I understand I was probably asking for a unicorn with the fan direction reversal, so I’m probably just out of luck.

I’m currently using the Red Series Switches to control four ceiling fans that use a pull chain to change the speed. Since I only ever run these on low, this was a perfect solution for these fans. If you’re using a single speed exhaust fan, the Red Series Switch should work here as well. I plan on installing these in my bathrooms once they’re back in stock.

1 Like

I know the switches work but I prefer the look of the expanded LED bar that the dimmers have and that is currently planned for Windy City. My home is entirely outfitted with the dimmers with the exception of ceiling fans and bathroom exhaust fans. I would love to see the standard switches offered with this as well but I haven’t seen anyone from Inovelli hint at this being on the road map. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Open those pre-orders. I’m in for 3. The (non-smart) fan/light combos in my new house are all wired into separate switches in 2-gang boxes, so I’d love to avoid having to use the Fan + Light Combo switch in a 2-gang-to-1-gang adapter faceplate.

2 Likes

Great news that this project isn’t dead. Again, I’m in for a pre-order if needed.

I would keep the switches uniform to the red series dimmers. I think that will look the cleanest in the electrical box next to the light switch. And I agree…people can change the LED color to signal that it’s a fan switch.

1 Like

Just thought I’d drop in and see if Windy City was making any progress. Glad to see there’s, at least, some talk. Windy City is important to uniform deployments. I’ve had to put GE fan controllers next to Inovelli switches. Just not ideal.

On one topic…there’s enough faceplate real estate to put four of the small switch-type LED’s in a vertical line. That would be aesthetically similar to the other in-walls but a good way to indicate fan speed and differentiate for which switch does what. My two cents.

(at this point, the LED style is pretty unimportant to me. I just need them.)

I have always wondered why the Red Series dimmers and switches didn’t share the same aesthetic for concurrency in a gang box with mixed dimmer and switch loads. (long bar vs short bar LED).

1 Like

@Eric_Inovelli, any update on this? Also as you suggested with the LED strips any chance of a kickstarter to raise the required capital , I would be in for at least two! I know just a drop in the 55 gallon drum but I would jump at this in a heartbeat!

I’ll second the Kickstarter idea. I don’t mind backing and waiting for awesome things! I think my longest project took two years to fulfill (with lots of updates along the way).

Cost is the driving factor here – we can explore it if there’s enough interest in this. There are 7 LED’s in the Dimmer and 1 in the On/Off, so it helps us save a bit on the offering. But I agree, it would be nice if aesthetics matched.

Let me talk to @JasonL_Inovelli again to see if this can happen. I do think there’s plenty of people interested in this that we would be able to pull it off. As a side note, we did put it in the forecast for the manufacturer lol – just trying to see if they’ll help us with R&D costs prior to launching.

But also it would be hard to tell which switches were on/off or dimmer. I had a same thought until @EricM_Inovelli said something to that effect and completely agree. I could see myself, wife or guests trying to figure out which was which and I’d have such a hard time trying to remember if this switch dims or not.

2 Likes

1 Like

I assumed the cost differential between the LEDs would be offset by the relay switching mechanism in the switch vs PWM circuit in the dimmer.

I’m sure this could be solved creatively. Perhaps if you attempt to hold an On/Off toggle up or down for dimming you would be prompted to “go away” by flashing the LED bar red.

Thanks @Eric_Inovelli for the update. As to the LED bar I think the long bar would be nice but for those of us who understand the eco system in our homes it would not be an issue but the others and guests would be totally lost. If the switches and dimmers had some kind of identifier on the paddle it would be a no brainer but this will most certainly come with increased cost.

@mww - Definitely, but I could also avoid having to have a 20-min WAF conversation about how stupid these switches are and why I spent $1,000+ on these “smart” switches.

3 Likes

My vote on matching.

We have 4 and 5 gangs of dumb switches, and over time you remember which switch controls what. Sure, guests have to flip them in sequence to figure it out, but switches looking different would not help that any.

We prefer that switches all look alike - not varied based on function. Having dimmer and switches look different with the LEDs is okay, but going to 3 different styles starts to make it aesthetically unpleasing. The use case we have right now is a 3 gang with:
< DIMMER FOR OVERHEADS > < DUMB SWITCH FOR OUTLET > < FAN WITHOUT A LIGHT >.
I would prefer the FAN position get replaced with a switch that more matched the dimmer.

1 Like

I completely agree for the fan switch, I kind of like the single LED of the switches though.

Use Brother “clear” TZe labels or order some premade ones like https://www.amazon.com/ABC-Distributors-Light-Switch-Labels/dp/B00NH8RKUA. Place over, under or right in the middle of the paddle itself. I find that if you label in the “valley” of the paddle, you dont have to label them all (like you might feel you would if you placed them above or below).

@coreystup - Agree. I’m with you for sure. I was just giving another perspective. I switched out all the dumb toggles in 3/4 ways because the difference in feel/function to Aux switches for this reason. I don’t mind the little LED vs bigger dimmer LED as much after having these for the past year. The same could be said about Black vs. Red. Why have two different smart switches? Just only make Red. Just my $.02.