Firmware v1.44 (Beta) | LZW31-SN | Dimmer - Red Series (Gen 2)

I pulled the FASS, excluded, and reincluded in the Z-Wave network before my issues. Today there have been no performance issues. Hard to tell what’s going on.

I would recommend that if the device is set to control smart bulbs that the device sets itself to a “relay only” mode where power is 0 or 100 and there are no ramp ups or downs. Not just “disable local control” That would minimize any user configuration issues.

Don’t you bring that “Lutron” foul language in THESE forumns :smiley:

I just bought two new switches and upgraded them to version 1.44 out of the box. I noticed that Parameter 5 (Minimum DIM Level) does not appear to be working. I can set other parameters, including parameter 6 (Maximum DIM Level), and the switch appears to be responding properly. Is anyone else experiencing issues with the Minimum DIM Level switch setting on this firmware version?

Specs:
Home Assistant Core: v0.110.4 (using native OZW 1.4 integration)
Aeotec Gen 5 Z-Stick

Seems to be working OK for me. But I think limiting the range from 1…45 is too restrictive. A lot of my led lights need 50% or more before they light up. So even when I set the Min to the highest allowable setting of 45, the lights still go completely dark when I dim down to the “mimimum” level. I would like to set those to minimum 55 or maybe even higher. And there are some cases where I’d like to have the option to set the minimum to 99 which would effectively disable dimming where desired

With that said, I’ve noticed that I have one switch where the Ramp/Dimming rate (Parameters1-4) aren’t working. But I have many other switches working fine, so I think something got wonky with just this one and I’m going to factory reset that one and try again.

Thanks for the feedback. I still have incandescent bulbs in those fixtures, so it’s very obvious the minimum dim value isn’t working. I’ll try a factory reset and see if it helps.

I have also found that limiting Minimum dimming level 1…45 very restrictive with some of the LEDs I’ve tested. Everything else appears to be operating as normal.

1 Like

What are you setting the minimum level too?

@EricM_Inovelli since you are the author of the Device Handler, I figure you’re the right one to ask this…

Do you see any issues if I were to edit the Device Handler to support a different range for the Minimum dimming level? I recall reading somewhere that there was concern with setting the minimum to something higher than the maximum and confusing the processor. So if I did it, I would set the Maximum range to always be higher.

In other words, if I edit the MIN range to be 1…65 and the MAX range to be 75…99 would that cause any issues? Logically it seems simple and easy, but I didn’t know if the firmware would accept any range that the DH allows, or if there is something internal to the firmware that limits this range as well (I’m running Firmware 1.44)

I was able to set the minimum to 40 in my case which was just right for my LED bulbs. I am using hubitat, don’t know if that is making a difference.

Im setting it to 45 with SmartThings. Problem is I want to set it higher than that and the device handler blocks values over 45

@mamber The limitations are in the firmware unfortunately. I am trying to get the minimum bumped up to 50 as that won’t conflict with the maximum.

@EricM_Inovelli, I did a reset on the switches and set the minimum brightness parameter to 30. Still didn’t work. Bumped it up to 40 and now it works. What’s odd to me is that the incandescent bulbs do come on well below 40 percent when the dimmer is at full 0-100% range. Anywho, it’s working for me now!!!

1 Like

I just want to say that I went around my house and reset all of the minimums for my bulbs and now was able to combine my Circadian Daylight Coordinator smartapp to control everything down to 1% instead of having different levels for different switches. I guess I hadn’t put the two together.

Happy camper here :).

1 Like

I take it back. It just happened to me again for reasons I can’t figure out. :open_mouth: Power is at 99 (100%), switch is on, I’ve tried a “soft” off and on and a pull of the air-gap, all to no avail. The on/off and level were all done via Z-Wave because local control is disabled.

EDIT: Pulling the air gap for a minute or so, unscrewing the bulbs in the meantime (not sure if that was necessary, but I wasn’t trying to wreck them…), and adjusting the dimmer down to some random level (60% is what I did) and back up to 99, then screwing back in the bulbs seems to have resolved it, though one still flashed for a second or two for some reason upon re-insertion…

1 Like

@BertABCD1234 That’s not good. So it happened to you randomly? After you had flashed the new firmware and had already pulled the air gap to reboot it when it happened the first time and then it happened a second time?

You know what, now that this is coming up I had the same issue on ONE of my 1.43 switches with disabled local powering a zigbee 4" can (HALO brand). Same exact thing, it started blinking on and off like crazy and nothing stopped it except for a pull of the air gap.

I should have thought to post, but it just retriggered my memory.

Edit: This happened completely randomly when I went from off state to on state via switch toggle, but it was through ABC controller/hub. Lots of variables.

Yeah, so it definitely happened after I updated the firmware (both targets) to 1.44. That was quickly resolved. It then happened to me a second time, but I’m wondering if that wasn’t because local control inadvertently got re-enabled (I didn’t do this and didn’t tell my hub to, but I guess stranger things have happened…) and I performed an action on the dimmer paddle, which is the only action I can see corresponding to this. I haven’t seen it otherwise, so I’m wondering if maybe that’s all that happened in my case. For whatever reason, however, I had a much harder time resolving it that time.

Just happened again to me with my Hue lights. Happens about 1-2 times per day. Both sets of firmware updated.

Thinking out loud here…don’t have my Hue bulb cans installed yet. But could testing be done with Switch Factory Reset, manually dim paddle to 100% to engage full power to Hue Bulbs, disable local control via the 8x? Just to eliminate controller completely from the equation? If it happens 2x a day you would know pretty quickly if this worked and since it wouldn’t be associated to hub and it removes some variables for troubleshooting.

-Travis

True, that may be helpful.

@bill.d @BertABCD1234 @kreene1987 You guys are all using Smart Bulbs with the dimmer @99% when this happens right?