Firmware v1.47 (Beta) | LZW31-SN | Dimmer - Red Series (Gen 2)

Updated 3 dimmers. Two work fine, one is acting weird. It will turn on and off, but the on is instant and goes to 100%, the off delays until the LED strip falls to zero. The indicator will show ramping up and down, but the lights are either fully on, or fully off.

Running Home Assistant with OZW 1.4, updated all the xml files to the current ones on github while zwave network was off, then restarted my HA server. I cannot see parameter 51 or 52 on any of the dimmers.

Edit: scenes don’t seem to be working on the switches.

Edit 2: deleted the whole node info in zwcfg_xxx.xml and I now have parameter 51, however stuck with either 100% on or off, but the LED indicates it should be acting normally.

Edit 3: It’s acting like it isn’t taking configuration parameters correctly. One of my other switches thats non-neutral with aux is back to both directions on the aux turn it off. It did that before I found some magical combination for setting parameters in the right order that caused it to work.

Any ideas?

Check your settings for the 700ms delay, if it is set to turn delay off (instant on) scenes will no longer work except the config button. I am not using HA so sorry if I can’t tell you where to look for these settings.

I had this exact same issue. I tried all kinds of fixes, but the only one that worked was re-applying fimware 1.3x, then 1.47, then 1.48. After doing this, it fixed this exact issue.

I have this issue on one of my dimmers too. I did not try downgrading and upgrading my dimmer, but I worked around the issue. I set the dimming speed to 2, and then it started ramping up and down instead of just blinking to off. Next, I added a load resistor because the LED panel would flicker a lot. This did not seem to do much, so I the. Played with the dimmer limits. I found that any value less than 40 blink. And, any value higher than 65 does not affect the LED brightness, so I set max brightness to 65. Now my light behaves organically. At 100%, the brightness is 65, and at 0% the brightness is at 40. And the dim rates feels natural now.

For me it doesn’t matter if it’s set to neutral or non-neutral - after updating to 1.47 all of my led fixtures on 3-way and 4-way have to be turned to 15% to get light even after adjusting the minimum. And that’s after 45% “maximum” minimum adjustment - other led bulbs not as sensitive were still affected similarly :frowning:

The exact same fixtures/bulbs not in a 3 or 4 way switch configuration were not affected.

Any updates in the past few weeks?

Also, why is 45 the “maximum” minimum? Can that be increased?

(@Ma2J @azeroth12 @EricM_Inovelli )

Couldn’t find a firmware 1.3X, but went back to 1.44 since I think that’s what I last had on it. It’s acting like a dimmer again, but now even the PC Controller software can’t seem to find it. Was getting a “nodeinfosmartstartrecieved from node 0” in the controller log. Was able to recover it by sending an “is failed” command, factory reset the dimmer, and then did a “replace failed” command.

Was able to push the update then, but now the switch isn’t responding to any button presses or toggle of the dumb switch. Going to have to roll back again I guess.

Again rolling back to 1.45 brought the switch back. I tried rolling back to 1.47 but it was still not receiving any commands. Seems to be working now, though going the route of “replace failed node” is having some unintended consequences in home assistant.

I’ll see if we can adjust this. The main reason it is 45 is that seemed like a reasonable amount and didn’t have any overlap with the maximum level (which could cause problems if the user did set an overlap).

I think that some users are seeing issues after upgrading to later firmware version is that the config parameters for smart bulb mode and removing the 700ms delay were added, but the upgrade process does not “initialize” these preferences. So they are sometimes populated with invalid values or values that are interpreted as “on”. So, at a minimum, try to change these parameters to 1 and then back to 0 (or whatever setting you want them at). Your initial problems sounded a lot like this.

Also, sometimes performing an update more than once seems to fix some issues. Especially the bin file. I don’t know why this is the case, but it seems to work for some users. Watch the bin update as well to make sure it completes.

Last thing to try is a factory reset by holding down the config button for 25+ seconds. This may help with the problem.

TLDR: I would really like to have “Minimum Level” allowed to be 50% (or higher) even if that means the low-limit of “Maximum Level” needs to be raised over 55%

I agree with Brad and would like to see a higher value allowed for the minimum. I have several LED fixtures where 45% is still too low to turn on. I understand there is a need to not allow min/max to overlap, but couldn’t that be checked with logic in the device handler rather than locking it at fixed values?

Ideally, the driver would allow any “minimum” value to be entered up to the current “maximum” value. For example if maximum is set to 80 then I should be allowed to set the minimum up to 80 (or 79). If that is not possible, is there a reason the minimum can’t at least be bumped up to 55 (or 54) to match the currently fixed lower maximum value without overlapping? That additional 10% allowance on the minimum would be enough for these LEDs that Brad and I have and probably many others.

If none of the above can be done, and if there needs to be a 10% gap between the two hard-coded values, how about changing them to 55/65? I believe there are a lot of fixtures that want at least 50% before they turn on (although many can be dimmed lower after the initial turn-on) and I personally can’t think of a scenario where Maximum level below 65% would be needed. So I think 55/65 would be better limits than 45/55 if we’re going to be locked in to two specific hard-coded values with a 10% gap.

2 Likes

Been on this beta for the past week now on my non-neutral setup with 2 switches, so far. Finally got a Zooz Z-Wave stick and upgraded them. Far more stable and no switch freezes so far! Notification lights are working well with the updates and not getting stuck on.

2 Likes