Help me make sense of this wiring please!

Yes that does makes sense. Both switches control a light at the top of the stairs and then 2 cans at the bottom. I will do the voltage test when I get a chance today. Anything else I should test before I put the wires back?

No, that should be it. I just want to insure we know which box has the constant hot. After that it’s just a diagram.

Which box do you want the dimmer in?

Sorry for the crude picture but each of these lights are grouped together. And I am thinking that I’d like each group to have a dimmer (like they currently do). It would be the 3 light switches on the right side of the group.

I also would defer to you on a recommendation.

Lastly these are the LEDs I have. Do you know if they are compatible?

120 volts was right on when I just tested.

Halos are not on the list as compatible or not compatible. Hopefully someone here has them and can comment.

Ok, we need to be specific. I asked you to test two locations. To which are you referring?

So thus far we’ve been working on the dimmer only. The other switch legs (the 3 to the right) are all non-neutrals. You can use an Inovelli dimmer there, but with just a couple LEDs on each, you would more than likely need a bypass. Typically the bypass is installed at the light, which might be a problem. You can try the bypass at the switch with no guarantees.

The non-neutral with inaccessible LED cans might be a problem. You won’t know until you try it. The good news is that since they are 2-ways, the installation is simple.

Sorry, the upstairs was 120v and the downstairs was not near that, despite the position of the switch.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

I’m not sure I’m following you. Would it make sense for me to replace each of the 3 switches on the right with an inovelli red series?

When you say inaccessible LED cabs what do you mean? Also, could I get a bypass at somewhere like Home Depot?

Right now, we’re working on the 3-way. You have switch at the top of the steps and a switch downstairs. At which of those locations do you want the dimmer?

To wire a bypass properly, it needs to go in the junction box for the light? Are those boxes accessible? Looks like your ceiling is sheetrocked.

I don’t know if HD has bypasses. They are available via Inovelli and other online locations. I’d encourage you to read the forum posts regarding bypasses, brands, installations. There are plenty.

Do I need to put an Inovelli at either of them? Those switches control 3 lights that I don’t necessarily care if they can dim.

We’re still talking about the 3-way. You put the Inovelli in one location and leave the dumb switch in place. If that dumb switch is a dimmer, you will need to replace it with a regular dumb switch or an Aux.

Ok, what I’m asking is, do I need to put an Inovelli on the 3 way?

To clarify, when you say 3 way my understanding of what you mean is this… the 3 way is made up of 2 switches. 1 is on the panel with 2 light switches and is on the right side of that panel (this is a dumb switch). The other is on the panel with 4 light switches and is the farthest to the left (also a dumb switch). These two light switches make up the 3 way. Is that right?

Yep, correct. Just so you know, what you call a panel I call a box, but your understanding is correct.