Help With 3-Way

Hi @EricM_Inovelli -

Here’s what the wiring looks like. I’ve since verified the travelers are continuous from box to box.

Hoping you can shed some light.

-Shawn

@shahar - Looking at your drawings, can you confirm that the Inovelli is hooked up to the load center (source) to the “Load” screw; and verify that the “COM” (black screw) of dumb switch is connected to the load (lights). If so, then everything looks correct to me. I’m assuming the “white” wire is connected to the neutral coming on the same 14-2 as what is connected to your “Load” (either directly fed from or grouped).

Hey gang I had the “dumb switch shuts off my red dimmer” problem. I had it wired correctly in a line/load in different boxes scenario. I had my parameters set correctly. I ended up swapping it for another new red dimmer switch and that one worked.

So in my case, two new red dimmers behaved differently in my 3-way config. One worked. One didn’t. …during my troubleshooting I confirmed that BOTH functioned correctly as load-only configs.

The one that didn’t work properly in a 3-way config attached to a dumb switch, behaved similarly to what some others have experienced. It generally worked ok with the dumb switch connected the load to the load output on the inovelli. But when the dumb switch connected the load to the traveler output on the inovelli, the switch “shut-down.” No LEDs. Not visible to my hub. Load/light not functional. Switching the dumb switch back to a load-connected-to-inovelli-load caused the inovelli to reboot and work properly again.

I will send the “bad switch” to inovelli so they can hopefully figure out why it doesn’t work in a dumb 3-way config. BTW I received both switches in the same order from Inovelli.

Sorry if I’m missing something by not reading the whole thread, but just to the issue of dumb switch vs smart switch interaction: I found that a number of switches (I have a lot of them) came configured different in terms of neutral/no neutral. Those that were apparently configured as no-neutral, were not allowing to work properly in my neutral-connected 2/3-way. Only once I changed the neutral config it worked well. My initial issue was the same as the OP here. Hope this helps.