Home Assistant - 2nd Gen Switch RGB working!

Hi Eric, I haven’t figured this out and I originally used that version of the calculator. Anything I can do to troubleshoot further?

Thanks.

@belgian_style Can you tell me the options you are selecting and the config value you are sending? I will test it on mine.

Hi @EricM_Inovelli ,
I have attached a screenshot of the Automation that I am using. I think it has all the info that you are asking for. If not, please let me know and I will work to collect it.

@belgian_style Can you also let me know what behavior you are trying to see? Like, “fast blink red at full brightness for 2 minutes”.

I was attempting to get the light to pulse yellow (really any color other than the default blue) for 2 min at full brightness. Then go back to the standard blue.
Thanks for the help.

@EricM_Inovelli I was able to reproduce the issue with the “hanging notifications” that @belgian_style and others have mentioned in this thread . I ran a series of tests using the following parameters:

Device Type: Dimmer
Color: 1
Brightness: 10
Effect: Solid

I changed the notification duration and then visually timed it with a stop watch. Most of the timings were off and the larger the duration, the larger the delta. Once I got past 62 seconds is where things really diverged from what was expected. Here is a table of the results:

Desired Duration Actual Duration (Approx) Notification Value
0:10 0:11 17435137
0:30 0:33 18745857
1:00 1:06 20711937
1:01 1:06 20777473
1:02 2:13 20843009
1:03 3:30 20908545
1:04 4:30 20974081
1:05 5:30 21039617
1:06 6:40 21105153

If anyone else could run these and see if they get similar times and also double check the calculated values that would be helpful to verify. I also ran a test with the two minutes spoken of here in the thread. It lasted for over an hour, but I don’t know exactly how long as I went to bed. I will try and follow up with the same test using a switch.

2 Likes

I didnt run through them all, but I did jump right to 1:06 and can confirm that I got the same actual duration as you:

I tried the same value on my Red Series switch, and while I didnt time it for the full duration, it definitely lasted more than 3 minutes.

Edit: I tried a couple other values, and got similar results to yours:

0:10 0:11 17435137
0:30 0:32 18745857
1:00 1:04 20711937
1:01 1:05 20777473
1:02 2:12 20843009

Thanks for the confirming those results. Were all of these times on the a switch or did you use a dimmer as well?

All these times were on my dimmer. I tested the 1:06 duration on the switch, and confirmed that it lasts more than 3 minutes, but I did not time the full duration or test any other values on it.

Can you explain how I can interface with this script in Home Assistant? It would be great to use this to calculate values in HASS instead of having to effectively hard code values into my automation’s!

script: !include scripts.yaml in your configuration yaml. And in that file paste the led code from my paste in. Call it in automations like

- alias: Front door locked switch notification
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: lock.front_door
    to: locked
  action:
  - service: script.turn_on
    entity_id: script.zwave_inovelli_led_color
    data:
      variables:
        color: red
        duration: 0
        effect: pulse
        level: 10
        node_id: 15

On mobile so formatting might not be right.

2 Likes

That’s the exact additional info I was looking for. Thanks!!

1 Like

@EricM_Inovelli, do you need any additional information to help fix this? I would love to be able to use the notification timing, but can’t due to the massive time discrepancies.

Depending on your use case, you might be able to modify the script as a workaround, and have HA do the timing. Essentially, the script would set the notification LED, wait for the desired time, then clear the LED. https://pastebin.com/NDaXDHf9 (note: I have not had a chance to test this change)

The only drawback is the script cannot run multiple times simultaneously. If you need to call the script multiple times (for multiple switches), you probably need a separate script for each switch.

1 Like

That makes sense. Thanks for updating the script. I’m not currently using it in any of my automations but when I get the chance to update them to use the script I’ll check out the updates you made.

I was looking over this again, and I can’t believe I didn’t notice this before. There may be a problem with the calculator I linked to above. The duration of the notification in parameter 16 is actually calculated with the below as the 3rd byte.

1-60 is in seconds

61-120 is in minutes
calculated by(value-60)
Example a value of 65
would be 65-60 = 5
minutes

120-254
Is in hours calculated
by(value-120)
Example a value of 132
would be 132-120 would
be 12 hours.

255 Indefinitely

Until the other calculator is fixed, can you try this one?

I just recently got my switches and started playing with notifications yesterday with the same problems mentioned. I just found this thread and tried the updated Google Sheet. I tested 10 seconds and 4 minutes which both worked for the expected durations. Thanks for the update!

1 Like

I’ll update this tonight and see if it fixes the issue!

For those you following this thread for the issues with notification duration length, I have updated the logic in my notification calculator to match the logic provided by @EricM_Inovelli. Once again that application is found here : https://nathanfiscus.github.io/inovelli-notification-calc/

5 Likes

I ended up using this. Timing works as expected now! Thanks for updating it.