How do I get my Red Series switch to stop power reporting?

I don’t have any on 1.21, but what I posted works on 1.20. Did you set all three parameters to match what I posted?

@dmeglio What firmware version do you have my settings working on?

Yup. I’m using Home Assistant with ZWaveJS. Here’s a screenshot of the settings with the specific parameters shown in red boxes.
Parameter 10 is 100, Parameter 11 is 32766, Parameter 12 is 0.

Here’s the energy reporting when I turn the light on

Hmm. Maybe something changed w/1.21? Let’s see what version @dmeglio is on.

I don’t know HA at all. Maybe a HA user can weigh in about making sure those settings are properly working in HA. I’m only saying this because I know there are some intricacies. That being said, I have no idea what I’m talking about with HA . . .

I’m on ST.

@jtronicus

I believe @dmeglio said he was also on 1.21, but I’m guessing he upgraded to it, at least that’s how his first post makes it sound.

Interestingly, I just went back and looked at the switch where those settings had been working and I now see that it’s reporting energy consumption again, so I have no idea.

While it’s possible, I can’t imagine it would be switch specific considering I don’t have the issue with my LZW31-SN’s. For the LZW31-SN’s I have them set:
Parameter 18: 0
Parameter 19: 3600
Parameter 20: 0

This has effectively disabled energy reporting on those. I won’t rule out that it could be ZWaveJS though. I’m still waiting for them to implement the ability to set a transition time from off to on so I don’t blind myself when I wake up in the morning :laughing: It’s one thing I miss about the OpenZwave 1.6 beta.

I just checked mine again, nope, no longer working. It worked for a little bit but it’s reporting power again. I’m thinking it’s a bug. Seems weird that production devices shipped with beta firmware?

On firmware 1.22, with all 3 parameters set to 0, I can confirm that it does send a power report. However, it only sends a single power report, and only when the state of the switch changes. A second or 2 after turning the switch on or off, it will send a single report. Unscrewing the bulb (to change the amount of current drawn) does not cause a new report to send).

I am not sure if this is intended behavior or not, but it is unlikely to flood the zwave network (at least from my observations).

1 Like

Interesting. That’s good to know. I’ll set them to 0 with the assumption that it’ll only send reports the one time which is good enough for me for now. I’m also guessing that’s not the intended behavior since the LZW31-SN’s don’t do that. They just don’t report once you set the parameters to 0.

Yeah that’s what mine does. However, I wasn’t sure if it was because it was only reporting once or just because the watt load doesn’t change. I’m running a low wattage LED on this switch so I figured it could just be the fluctuations are so low the switch doesn’t detect any changes.

Just as a side note the adaptive lighting integration works really well for setting default z-wave and local levels through the night, alonside sleep mode where it sets at 1%. If you are interested in my setup I can share!

I remember reading/hearing about it before and at the time a while ago I didn’t have a use for it. But now…tempting. Just looked it up and supposedly it was supposed to become part of the core of HA, though I don’t see it and I’m on the most recent version. I guess it still needs to be added as a custom repository?

I think this feature is coming to HA in the August release.

2 Likes

Correct, I’ve integrated via HACS.

1 Like

Thats because parameter 10 is for Power Reports. Parameter 12 is for Energy Reports. You need to set both to 0 to disable both Power (W) AND Energy (KwH) reports

I would expect those settings to send a report every hour (3600 seconds).
Parameters 18 and 20 tell it to send a (power or energy) report if things change by a certain percentage. A value of 0 should disable the respective report that was triggered by a change in percentage of either power (param18) or energy (param20)

However, Parameter 19 tells it to send ‘periodic’ reports which happens whether the value has changed or not. Disabling the percentage-change report does not necessarily disable the periodic report. If you want them all disabled I would think they should all be set to 0.

With that said, my personal bias would be to set them all to the max 100/32767/100 so that you do get something once in a while to keep the database updated but they should be very few and far between.

I do have parameter 12 set to 0, I also have parameter 10 set to 0. Either way on the LZW30-SN, it doesn’t matter how you set it (at least on firmware 1.21), the moment you turn on/off the switch, it reports useage. It could be seconds later, or hours later. It doesn’t respect the settings. I also have a feeling it won’t matter if I set parameter 11 to 0 or 32767, it will still report when switched on/off. (edit, I checked. It doesn’t matter if parameter 11 is set to 32767, it still reports the moment the light is switched on/off regardless of time between switching)

As for the LZW31-SN, Parameter 18 and 20 works as expected. No power reports at all when switched on or off. As for parameter 19 being set to 3600 to send periodic reports, as far as I can tell in my HA history, it hasn’t received a report in 2 days, which is when I changed 18 and 20 to 0. Granted I’m not looking at the actual z-wave logs to see if it’s reporting every hour, but a report sent every hour as opposed to every time the switch is turned on/off is acceptable to me if I really don’t care for power reporting.

I was troubleshooting a Zwave issue on SmartThings and discovered while watching live logging that at least some of my Inovelli switches were flooding with power reports. I changed parameters as follows. I don’t know if this will kill the power reporting, but it certainly stopped the flooding.

|parameter10 |number |0|
|parameter11 |number |32767|
|parameter12 |number |100|

Still can’t get this working. @Eric_Inovelli @EricM_Inovelli any thoughts? Seems like a bug given a bunch of people are experiencing the same thing.

Hi @dmeglio , this is a confirmed bug in the LZW30-SN firmware. The bug is as @jtronicus reports:

If you set all 3 power monitoring parameters to 0 then you will get a single power report when the device turns from on to off or off to on.

20 posts were split to a new topic: How to get Red Series Dimmer to stop power reporting?