How to do scene control Red series Edge Drivers

Go here:

Click on “Available Drivers”

If you have a Red dimmer, then click on “Install” for Inovelli Dimmer Red Series. If it says “Uninstall”, then the driver is already loaded.

Thanks! I installed it.

Ok, Re-add the switch and it should pick up the Edge driver. You’ll see the “Driver” menu on the device’s 3-dot menu if the Edge driver installed. You should then see the proper menus when building a routine.

That worked. I scanned for it instead of scanning the QR code. I does show the driver. Appreciate all your help!!

1 Like

That’s probably better any, at least in a majority opinion. Not pairing w/S2 cuts down on traffic, reportedly.

Thanks. I have other devices, such as bulbs, etc. in Alexa that don’t show up in Smart Things. Is there a way for them to show up?

Devices in Alexa will not automatically show up in Smartthings. The proper approach is to add them to Smartthings, and then they will show up automatically in Alexa if you’re Alexa is linked to SmartThings.

So it’s a matter of finding out if those devices are supported by Smartthings. You will have to research each. If a device is supported by Smartthings, then remove it from Alexa and re-add it to SmartThings. It should then automatically show up in Alexa

OK. I’ll try that. Thanks for all the help!

1 Like

Are you saying scanning for device is better than using the QR code? Smartthings always tells me that’s less secure, but I know nothing about that.

Conventional wisdom is to use “Scan nearby”. Not totally sure why, but there have been reports of devices not adding properly under Edge using the QR code.

It is less secure as it won’t join w/S2 security. But it’s arguable if you need that security for anything other than locks.

For me, using S2 on devices that support it is not about anti hacking “security” but about higher reliability. When S2 is in use, full CRC checksumming is performed on less than 100kbps links. (It is always in use on 100kbps even with no security enabled.). I could care less about the actual encryption portion of S2.

I always use S2 on any device that supports it, but I’m in the minority. Other people swear S2 slows response time down too much for them. YMMV.