[HOW-TO] Hubitat: Setting Up "Scenes" in Rule Machine

@shewhorn, I’m not sure about the delay, but it seems like it might be a Hubitat issue. Do all of them turn on / off quickly when controlling individually?

1 Like

I’m 99.999% certain it’s a Hubitat issue. When just turning a switch on/off directly the response is immediate (I would assume in that case that control is happening locally on the switch, yes?). After first configuring two presses up to turn on my yard light, and turn off three kitchen lights, and two presses down to turn off the yard light, and turn on three kitchen lights… it worked once, and then the second time it worked but it was slow… and then on the third try it didn’t respond. I thought it was user error so I tried tapping slow… tapping fast, up, down, etc. Well, it queued all of these up, and then started playing them all back very slowly over the next 10 minutes so… manually turn the kitchen light on, and it goes off. Turn it off… then it goes on… and then off, and then on. It would seem as if the processor that was specified for the Hubitat is a little underpowered which is impressive because none of this is computationally intense stuff.

I’ve seen the same behavior not only in the rule machine, but also in the Groups and Scenes app. I created a scene called “puppy mode” which turns off all lights in the area. After about four lights total, it became so sluggish as to be unusable, it was just faster to turn things on/off by walking around and hitting the switches, or telling Alexa to turn things on/off.

This might be worth splitting into it’s own topic, but what custom apps/drivers are you using on your hub? You could try rebooting it and see if the performance issues persist. I know some things can cause problems.

Also if you haven’t already try running a zwave repair (settings > zwave > zwave repair) and see if that helps.

1 Like

Totally agree… This should be run after every mains powered device install… My z-wave network on hubitat is amazingly fast because of all the mains powered repeating devices and proper maintenance… Also a major thing that helped was getting any pre z-wave plus devices off my network… I know zigbee is faster at the tx rate, but my z-wave network runs circles around my zigbee network.

1 Like

Helps that I have a ton of inovelli devices that all but 1 are mains powered repeaters :wink:

1 Like

Hello. I have a number of LZW31-SN Dimmers in 3-way configurations with companion GE/Jasco “Add-On” switches. Is there a way to derive button pushed or held events for scene control when the “Add-On” switch is used? The “parent” LZW31-SN in the 3-way configuration only reports on/off/dim events, but no button pushed/held events when the companion “Add-On” switch/dimmer is used.

Unfortunately the aux switch does not trigger scenes. The only way to do this as of now is to use another Inovelli dimmer and setup a direct association from one to the other.

Bummer. I’ve tried creating associations using the Z-Wave Association Tool, but have been unable to get that to work. I have followed the instructions verbatim, but no luck with the LZW31-SN’s.

Hey so I was struggling hard on getting my switch to associate with my bulbs last night (yes, even we have problems lol) and I finally figured out the issue on my end and maybe you’re having the same one.

While I’m using ST, I could be the same with Hubitat.

Are you able to send the Raw Code for each of the devices you’re trying to associate?

I’ll send a screenshot when I’m off mobile to show you and I’m actually going to update the Knowledge Base article with this issue and how to solve it.

Essentially what was happening was the switch was pairing securely, whereas the bulbs were not and if there’s different levels of security, association will not work.

What I did to solve this was move my bulbs very close to the hub and paired them and they were able to pair securely. I think they were just too far away from the hub to pair securely.

The associations I have been trying to create are between LZW31-SN’s using the Inovelli device driver (https://github.com/InovelliUSA/Hubitat/blob/master/Drivers/inovelli-dimmer-red-series-lzw31-sn.src/inovelli-dimmer-red-series-lzw31-sn.groovy) on Hubitat. I had a 1-to-3 association that would only respond to off commands. I had a 1-to-1 association that would not respond to anything. I set up Group 2 and Group 4 associations for both. I’m pretty sure the LZW31-SN’s are not paired secure, but do not have access to them at the moment.

Yeah, check your z-wave settings to make sure the devices were included the same. If your hub is set to include all devices secure and one of the completed securely and one failed so it is non-secure, that may be the issue.

I just tried a few associations with Hubitat and they are working for me. So there must be something else going on. With the 1-to-1 association make sure that the source device is the dimmer that is not connected to the load. The destination device should be the dimmer that IS connected to the load. There should be an association for group 2 & 4 like you mentioned. So two associations should be all that you have in that “virtual 3-way”. The source device should have a the associations listed in its state variables like below:

Perhaps I do not understand z-wave associations correctly. In both of my scenarios all devices have a load connected to them. I was hoping to create a “group” where one in the group controlled itself and the others in the group. I have a “Rule Machine” rule for both scenarios, but the lag is bothersome. I was hoping to have a more instantaneous on/off/dim experience as both scenarios control recessed lights in the same room(s). In your second paragraph you state “the source device is the dimmer that is not connected to the load” which I interpret to mean the source device (device that the associations are being applied to) cannot have a load connected to it?

I checked if my LZW31-SN’s had paired securly. They are not. When I can get Z-wave pairing to work, the “destination” LZW31-SN will only respond to an off command. It will not respond to on or dimming commands.

This has stumped the chump. :wink:

Maybe they are out of range of each other?

These 2 are literally next to each other in the same gang box. The 1 to 3 association that I had tried previously with the same result were all within 15 ft of each other. I had used “pairing” erroneously in my prior post. I meant Z-wave association.

I’m not sure then. I haven’t seen that before. Do your actualAssociationX state variables match the nodes that they should be controlling?

@EricM_Inovelli,
Does the switch need to have local control disabled? I tried both ways and with it enabled, the lights (3 illumin RGBW bulbs), just turn on and off. If I disable local control, nothing seems to happen. Seems simple enough “on paper” :wink:

For that to work you do need to associate the switch to the bulbs. Instructions can be found here:

https://community.inovelli.com/t/how-to-using-the-z-wave-association-tool-in-hubitat/1941/20

Yes sir, the actualAssociation for Groups 2 and 4 are populated with the proper node ID’s.

@EricM_Inovelli, this makes sense now. However, since it is a scene controller, should the association be with group 2 or 4? Also, I cannot figure out how to select more than one.
At least one part is starting to show signs of life!

Next I need to associate the motion detector to the switch I presume, or is there a better way - I am understanding RuleMachine may be a better alternative?

Many way’s to skin a cat, just looking for the most efficient!
Thanks,
Charlie-