[HOW-TO] LZW31-SN Red Series Dimmer Switch Setup | SmartThings

Mine is working fine with the V3 hub and new app. Check a couple things:

1. make sure the DTH is published
  2. scroll all the way to the bottom of the Type list. Custom DTH’s are listed at the very bottom.

I did swap the VID with generic-dimmer-power-energy so i could see the power and energy charts in the new app. I believe power monitoring only works for neutral wire installations, so i’m not sure if @EricM_Inovelli would want to use this VID in the DTH instead of the current one, or if its possible to somehow make the VID variable based on the config setting for neutral wire. Although the power and energy tiles may stay hidden if they are never reported. Someone would have to test.

Forgot to update the vids for power & energy support in the new app. Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

no problem. btw your latest update to set child devices to isComponent: false is much more friendly for the new app, too. However, there is currently a bug on SmartThings side where the device tile doesn’t accurately display the switch state of the child device. Just an FYI in case anyone brings it up.

Thanks for the detailed instructions!
This is my first attempt configuring a smart switch and after a lot of videos and reading I thought I was able to wire everything up.
I have a neutral wire with a dumb switch (a legrand toggle switch).
After configuring the inovelli lzw31-sn red series, I’m able to turn on and off the lights, but only if the dumb switch is in a certain position.
I wonder what I must have done wrong and if someone could give me any guidance on how to solve that.
Thanks!

Did you set parameter 22 to 1 (Multi-Dumb switch)?

https://support.inovelli.com/portal/api/kbArticles/407409000001873397/attachments/1abnfa5822ce11f1e4dfe9a7306effa38a8cf/content?portalId=edbsn8bb12d5f5a97d693e61ce4ce8a23f8b0e323eac44a6c2794f893e912acf005df&inline=true

Hi Bry, thanks for helping out!
I thought I did but after your reply I tried again and now it’s working!

And I believe I know what I was doing wrong. I was being too slow to press 13 times to access the parameter 22. Rewatching the videos I’ve noticed the person was pressing the button way faster than I was.
So I’ve tried faster and it’s now working as expected!

Thank you so much for your help!!

@thiagomp Thanks. Which videos did you refer to? There is someone else having the same problem?

@Bry, this was the video that made me notice the config button press speed: https://youtu.be/WRIV-6yezrw

I guess I was too worried trying to count the seconds, the color changes etc.

I’m having trouble setting up my first automation. I’ve installed the Handlers, and set up a simple scene pictured here based off of a previously set scene through Alexa which already has all the desired devices controlled. When I press the down paddle 3x, nothing happens. Any suggestions on what I could be missing? All of the “More options” settings are not set to anything. Thanks in advance.

You’re in Smart Lighting, right? Is “Down Button” the name of your Inovelli switch?

After you select “Button” as the trigger, you select your Inovelli switch as “Which Button?”. Then you select the “Button number” and “Button action” based on the number of taps and up or down.

Take a look at the article below, particularly “Understanding Button Mapping”

Great thanks, I’ve straightened that part out, but I’m only seeing the “pushed” and not “held” option. Not the end of the world but I’d rather be turning my house off using the off switch.

That doesn’t look right to me. Your “Button Action” selections should either be “Pushed” or “Held”, corresponding to top or bottom tap.

Are you sure you are using the proper Device Handler? Go into the IDE, open the dimmer’s page, select Edit and insure that Inovelli Dimmer Red Series LZW31-SN is selected.

If that’s ok, go to the IDE’s Device Handler’s section and open the DH for the LZW31-SN and check the date:

Inovelli Dimmer Red Series LZW31-SN

• Author: Eric Maycock (erocm123)
  • Date: 2020-09-21

Hmm. I’m not sure what is going on so I’m just going to step through what I see on mine to see if you’re doing something different.

• New app
  • Hamburger menu, SmartApps
  • Smart Lighting, then select New Lighting Automation
  • Activate these scenes: pick your scene
  • Select Trigger:Button
  • Which Button:pick your switch that is going to control the scene
  • Button Number:pick something, One through eight are displayed.
  • Button action: Pick either Pushed or Held. (I think this is where you are seeing different options)
  • Toggle on & off: Up to you. Probably no for a good night scene
  • Done & Done

If for some reason Smart Lighting isn’t working correctly, you can always assign the scene to the switch’s button by using a button controller app. The end result will be the same.

I have 2 Hue bulbs that are controlled currently by a dumb switch, I am replacing that switch with the Inovelli Red Dimmer.

I was thinking that instead of having the bulbs fully powered off/on by the switch, I should have the bulbs always powered (so they are always accessible via Hue app and Home Assistant) and then instead turn them off via Hue bridge when i toggle the switch and control them via Hue instead of power on/off (and dim through Hue especially since Hue dims better via Hue than adjusting voltage like old school dimmable bulbs).

Should I just connect the lights directly to 120v full time? Or should I wire them to the switch as the load? Ive been looking at thee manual that came with the switch and I cant find a setting to disable the load though or more specifically set thee load to always be on.

Ideally I would connect the lights to the load of the Inovelli and set the Inovelli so the switch is always providing 120v on the load output. Then I can grab the events through home assistant from the button presses of the switch and use them in automations to control the bulbs.

thanks

You want to do two things with the bulbs wired to the load:

1 - Set Smart Bulb Mode to On. This will insure that the switch always powers the bulbs at full power. (Dimming is handled by applications, not by varying the voltage to the bulb.)

2 - Set Disable Local Control to On. This will prevent the switch from cutting or dimming power to the bulb directly. You can then trap the paddle presses via however you care to do it to control the bulb programatically.

1 Like

THanks much, I think i found local control in the manual, I assume its “disable the internal relay”.

However, I cant find anything about smart mode in any of the manuals. Is there documentation for this? thanks

2 Likes

Yes, it is. But when you go into the settings to turn it on, it’s labeled “Disable Local Control”. Disable the internal relay is more of a slang now.

I’m not sure but probably no, other that what is discussed here in the forums. Inovelli is constantly improving their products via firmware releases, but the documentation doesn’t always keep up.

But all you really need to know is that you turn it on in the switch’s settings and it will always power the bulb at the maximum, which is the proper approach for powering a smart bulb. The switch will no longer work like a dimmer.

Thanks Bry, when you say “Settings” do you mean z-wave configuration paramters or settings that need to be programmed via the switch with button presses? I use open z-wave so i am hoping when i pair the switch to openzwave I will see the settings you are talking about in the config params.

I see. I was thinking you were using SmartThings since you posted in the SmartThings forum post. With SmartThings, you can set them through the ST app. But you can also set them directly at the switch. (At least disabling local control. Not sure about Smart Bulb Mode.)

Hopefully someone using Open Z-wave can share some insight.