[HOW-TO] Using Scenes & Notifications In Homeseer

Below is a brief explanation on how to use scenes and notifications in the Homeseer platform. I’m using the latest Homeseer version (HS3) as of this writing. I’m going to create a single “Event” in Homeseer to show off both features. In essence, I’ll be killing two birds with one stone.

In Homeseer, click on the “Events” option in the “View” drop down to begin.

Next, you will begin to fill in the details regarding the “event” (i.e.scene). Other than the “Event Name”, the key information is going to be:

IF: Here we are going to specify which button press combo we are going to use.
THEN: The action we want to perform. In this case, I’m turning on the LED to notify me of something.

You’ll notice that in the “IF” statement I have chosen Central Scene. More specifically I specified “Scene 003 Key Pressed 1 Time”. Scene 003 is the config button. It breaks down like this:

Scene 001 - Down button
Scene 002 - Up button
Scene 003 - Config Button

For the “THEN” section, this is where we setup the action we want to occur. In this case, I want the LED on the same dimmer to chase up and down with the color red. So, I select:

Z-Wave Actions > Set a Configuration Parameter Value > Choose A Device (set this to the correct z-wave node)

Fill in the final 3 options with this in mind:

Parameter Number: 16 for the red or black dimmer, or 8 for the red or black switch
Value: Use the fancy community provided calculator here: Notification Calculator
Size: 4-Byte

That is all there is to it. Using these steps as a guideline you should be able to get scenes and notifications working in your Homeseer setup!

I have hs4, and I’m having difficulty understanding scene creation. How do I edit these pages for scenes? I can get a scene to double tap for a light to come on, but to double tap the Inovelli fan switch lower button I get dim bright instead of off.

Hi there, make sure you are going into the “Events” section. In your “IF” statement it looks like you selected “This Device Had its Value Set and is Not Equal to”

According to the guide you should choose:

“This Device Had its Value Set to”

The only settings I could get the tap to work was using greater than less then and not equal to. I could not use the same setting for off. This would give me a dim/bright/dim then off. I disabled on and configured off to setting I posted for on and that also worked. But using what you posted did not work. Your help is really appreciated, I’m hoping to finish my YouTube video with just showing tap feature. I do show making virtual devices to get fan to operate at at different speeds using Alexa and google. This switch I think is better than HomeSeer, but HomeSeer does allow multiple speeds through voice.

That is very strange. I just set up a new Homeseer server and it is working for me. This was my test and doing a double tap on the down button activates the scene.

I am guessing the issue Anthony is running into is that parameter 51 is configured to remove the 700ms delay when turning on. Removing the delay also removes most scene control (Hold still works). If your switch immediately turns the lights on or off, you can’t program based on multi-tap. If there is a slight delay, you can program using the multip-tap. To modify parameter 51, check the “switch configuration settings” section in the user manual that came with your switch or I am sure you can find it somewhere online too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes