[HOW-TO] Using the Z-Wave Association Tool in Hubitat

We can do something to attempt to get these to sync up. I usually just disable the LED on the “source” switch so that it is always off, but there is something we can try. First, you need to make sure that parameter 12 is set to 11 on one of the switches. This is important so that z-wave commands don’t get in a loop scenario. First change line 843 from:

return [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,13,14,15,17,18,19,20,21,22,51,52]

to

return [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,17,18,19,20,21,22,51,52]

Then, on one of the switches (probably the source switch is best) set the Association behavior parameter to 11.

After this is complete set the associations both ways. So currently you have it set:

Group 2 & 4: Source ----> Destination

Set up more associations so that it looks like this:

Group 2 & 4: Source <----> Destination

We may also need to do this with group 3, but try it out with just group 2&4 first.

Ok, I am baffeld here. I am not understanding or something. here is what I want to do,

I have the Fan/Light switch. I have the light switch disabled, so its always on… I am assuing that is what I need to do,

I have 3 Inovolli color bulbs. I want to be able to simply turn them on and off with this, AND dim with the rockers next to it. What the heck am I supposed to do?

1 Like

I had similar problems, see @jtronicus response to my question, it may be helpful.

In the end I ended up bypassing the module for the light and leaving the local protection off. Then I used association group 3, and has been working great.

Another way to do it would be to associate group 4 to the bulbs for dimming up/down with the light up/down button and use the scene for the light on/off button to toggle the bulbs on/off with rule machine.

1 Like

Question - how exactly did you set up Group 3 for this? I’m trying to do the exact same thing as you but the solution is eluding me.

Thanks!

This is what my setup looks like in the zwave association tool app.

1 Like

Thank you, that worked perfectly!

1 Like

So, I’ve setup a few associations that work but I have one that won’t. It is a 3 way for my stairs. Line and load are both from the upstairs switch, through the relay. I added a few other switches to try to see if it was the source switch but it didn’t rule anything out… The office switch worked (3 feet away) but none of the other ones did. They are all about 20’ away.

I am new to this but I would think I have a pretty strong network. No switch is further than 15’ from another one.

I will be installing the Inovelli RGBW A19 bulbs when they arrive and will be disabling the relays once I swap them out. I’m sure I’ll have to reprogram things again at that time, but I’m hoping once this works properly it is just a matter of changing the destination device.

Ah, parameter 12 is disabled in the driver! Was wondering if I was going insane seeing that something like that existed but not finding it in the driver or in the manual. What’s funny is that I was pretty sure I had seen it in the driver in the earlier days! I guess you chose to make the driver match the manual!

Which version of the Hubitat hub do you have? Also, looking at the destination devices, are they all Inovelli Switches or what exactly are they?

@gbenrus25 I think I did enable the association behavior parameter in our drivers a few weeks ago so you might want to update. You can use Hubitat Package Manager to get notifications when an update is available.

I have a brand new c7 hub and all switches are brand new red series dimmers. I believe all updates have been done but I’m not sure where to check. Dimmers all had a date of 07/20 on them. Drivers were the latest from 2020-09-16.

I’m an electrician and they are wired as follows:
Source dimmer - 120 volt constant power, no load wire
Destination dimmer - 120 volt constant power, lights connected to load wire.

I rewired all the switches in my house (about 50) to be constant 120v with a neutral. I figured that had to be the best way. I doubt that makes a difference in this situation though.

I wonder if there is some difference between the security level of the devices. Can you check the source and destination devices to make sure they match?

So down at the bottom under “device details” one is showing up with the “S2: 131” and one doesn’t. Neither show “zwaveSecurePairingCom”. I’m not sure were to get to the same spot you are at.

the one on the right shows zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true. You can check Z-Wave Details to see if it’s S0 or S2 for the devices (middle or right column). These two will have problems communicating unless they’re both set for None, S0 or S2. I would recommend excluding the device on the right, and pairing with no security. Then try your associations again.

Ok, so I just went through my devices and it seems to be a 50/50 chance that they registered with S2 somehow. All were added with the default setting that came up that had all check boxes except S2 class 2. How would some be added differently that others?

So when I add a switch should I remove all the security?

Would it be in my best interest to go around and make sure they are all showing up the same way and exclude/include them again until they are all the same? I currently am just starting out with my house and the first thing I have done is switches. Next week is Inovelli RGBW A19 bulbs once they arrive. I will have a mix of them and regular LED bulbs.

With the newer C7 firmware, it should be somewhat stable, but I noticed some of my further devices were still adding with no security vs. S2. I went ahead and made most (still need to run through some) set to no security. I was deselecting all the checkboxes when it prompted me for security associations.

The bulbs don’t support S2, so IF you plan on using associations to control the bulbs, you’ll need to set those switches as no security or S0 (assuming your bulbs join as S0). If the bulbs and switches are not set the same, it won’t control the smart bulbs as intended.

That’s just my recommendation.

1 Like

So I went around and excluded and included my switches to all be connected without S2 and now some bulbs are adding themselves as S2: 128 and some are adding themselves without any S2. Any tips on how to adjust the bulbs?

I don’t think the S2: 128 means they were securely paired. I’m a little confused about that on non-secure or S0 devices (to be honest). The maximum security level supported by Inovelli bulbs is S0.

Our dimmers do have a problem sometimes pairing with S2 so there is a firmware update for those. You would need to include them as S0 to control the bulbs, but the S2 bug sometimes makes Hubitat downgrade the security to non-secure regardless of whether you choose S0 or S2 which is why I mention it.

https://community.inovelli.com/t/firmware-v1-48-beta-lzw31-sn-dimmer-red-series-gen-2
https://community.inovelli.com/t/firmware-v1-48-beta-lzw31-dimmer-black-series-gen-2

I have a question about Z-Wave Association and how to use it between different model inovelli switches. The primary switch will be the Red Dimmer, the other 2 will be Red On/Off in a 3 way wiring config. Unfortunately the LED light are Zigbee. However, I can create a Z-wave association between the master Red Dimmer and the 2 Red On/Off auxiliary switches. With that, I don’t have to create any additional scene’s, groups, etc to turn the lights on and off. With the Z-wave associate the auxiliary switches will solely communicate the master switch, which in turn will fire the button events against Hubitat?

Is this correct a understanding of how to use Z-wave Association?

If I am understanding you correctly, if you associate the Red ON/OFF to the dimmer, the dimmer will not send button events when you control it from the ON/OFF. The button events from the dimmer are only sent when you physically control the dimmer.

You could create rules in rule machine to respond to the button presses on all the switches. So all of them could control the Zigbee bulbs.

1 Like