Hubitat Association - Fan/Light Switch

Hi everyone!

New user here still trying to figure out both Hubitat & my Inovelli switches. Before I buy more switches, I’m trying to get familiar with associations. (Especially because our house is full of 3-way & 4-way switches.)

I found the guide online for the Z Wave Association Tool, and it seemed easy enough, but I feel like I’m just hitting a wall.

I want to create an association between the the light portion of my Fan/Light switch and a red-series on/off switch. For the life of me, I can’t seem to get this to work.

When it set it up to the parent device instead of the child light device though, it worked with no issue.

I saw another forum post that indicated that it might not be possible, but that was for a red series dimmer. Is the the same issue for an on/off switch?

Thanks!

Currently, neither the dimmers nor switches support multi-channel association (the ability to control a single component of a multi-component device, such as the fan/light switch)

If you associate the dimmer or the switch with the fan/light switch, it will always control both the fan and the light at the same time.

You could set up automations though, either triggered by scenes (on the red series) or status changes. I am not familiar with hubitat though, so I am not sure how to do it.

If your intent is to use associations in a single direction (using the light buttons on the fan/light to control a an on/off switch, but not the other way around) you can, but with a few caveats:

• The ON/OFF switches only support the “Basic Set” command, which means you must use Association group 2 (not the multilevel association group 3)
  • The light toggle button on the fan/light unit only sends “Multilevel Set” commands, which means it wont work to control an ON/OFF switch
  • Once you set up group 2 association, you would need to use the light dim up/down buttons. A single press of the dimmer buttons on the light/fan unit will send on/off commands to association group 2

An alternative (and more customizable) approach would be to set up automations based on scenes

Thanks for the details, I appreciate it. I’ll have to do some more research on scenes/automations.

1 more question: Does that also mean that you couldn’t do an association between 2 light/fan switches either w/ the association controlling only 1 component or the other?

The fan/light device does support multi-channel association, to it is possible for you to choose which component to control (you can use the light button on one fan/light switch to control only the light on another fan/light switch)