Hubitat driver question

Hey… just noticed the latest hubitat firmware update has the inovelli drivers built it. I had installed them off GitHub when I first got my dimmers. Is it recommended, for ease of updating, that users now switch to the built it drivers?

The Hubitat in-built drivers are limited to more closely match the other Hubitat switches. So, rather than support eight “buttons” for the paddle multi-tap, it supports only two buttons for paddle up/down single and double-tap, and held and released; plus single tap on the “favorite” button. There is a writable attribute for the notification LED; it does not use the child device scheme for the notifications LED.

This, of course only applies to the scene switches (red series). I have not tried, but I would expect there is little difference in what the black series drivers supply. In that case, there may be some benefit for ease of update using the in-built; plus they will more closely match the behavior of other inbuilt drivers.

Again, for the scene switches, if you use more than double taps, or use the notification child devices, you will need to stay with the Inovelli drivers on github.

Update: thinking about what I said, the hold/release would be for the red switches only; for dimmers, hold is local dimming control.

Hrmm… Weird… It’s not a generic switch… They just added, in a pretty recent update, inovelli specific drivers and “inovelli smart dimmer” is a different driver from “inovelli smart scene dimmer”… If it was a generic driver why would they separate those two?

The “smart dimmer” is the non-scene black dimmer. It does not support multi-tap. The “smart scene dimmer” supports one or two taps, and sends those events similar to other scene dimmers/switches in Hubitat.

This is opposed to the Inovelli model, which supports up to eight taps, generating a button push; the button number being the number of pushes, and as “pressed/held” for “up/down”. I.e., tapping up three times generates a “button 3 pressed”, and down four times, a “button 4 held” event. (This is from recollection; the exact numbers may be different, but that’s the gist of it anyway).

Hrmm… Well thanks for the info. Super confusing that hubitat but it in there along with the brand name if it doesn’t actually support the brand fully, would have been clearer if they just called it generic. Thanks - I’ll just stick with inovelii’s GitHub driver then!

It does several things the generics don’t: It supports the “favorites” button and LED color+mode on the scene switches. For both the scene and non-scene switches: the LED on and off colors, and auto-off feature.

I both the Red Series Dimmers, V2 just a few weeks ago, but I can’t figure out how to assign anything to a 3X, 4X, 5X or favorite button. I installed the Inovelli Dimmer Red Series LZW31-SN driver (and only that Inovelli driver) and did and exclude then discover for my LZW31-SN switches but they always come in as a generic light bulb. I go into the child driver and change the type to Inovelli Smart Scene Dimmer S2. When I save that the commands change to a switch, but it only has a double tap. I don’t see where all the other taps or favorite button are.

1. Why does it always come in as a bulb?
  2. Where are the other taps and how do I associate something to them?

Thanks,

Stuart

Button controller is your friend. All of the multiple taps are presented as pushbutton press/hold combinations, and there’s maps of the various combinations in other posts here…

Rule Machine (what I use) or Button Controller to assign taps for scenes.

Wow! I went into Rule Machine and created my first quick rule. I have your Red Dimmers on my kitchen and dinning room lights. We often want them both turned on or off, so I programed a double click push of either to turn them both on and a double click hold to turn them both off. Way cool!

However, we’ve been spoiled and use Alexa for a lot of things, like turning these lights on/off and/or setting their dimming level. But, I’m thinking that there is no good way to control this particular rule set from Alexa. Am I correct that the “better”/necessary way to do this is to create 2 rules: One to turn on both lights and one to turn them both off (instead of having combined them in the same rule)? I think I would then create 2 virtual devices for each.

Is that the best approach? I haven’t done any scenes or groups yet, so I don’t know if it would be better, easier to do it that way. That is, would I create a group or scene with both lights and then a virtual device to hold the group or scene so I could tell Alexa to turn the virtual device on or off?

Thanks again for all the help,

Stuart

Light groups are your friend here. Both Alexa and Rule Machine can be set up to trigger turning on/off, setting brightness or color.

Then you can add the light group to a “room” or “group” in Alexa, and then say turn off the lights,

AND, you can add a routine that commands both groups on or off, one routine per Alexa command.

I’m a fan of virtual switches in Hubitat, because the lights can still be individually controlled but flipping the virtual switch turns multiple lights on with one flip…

1 Like