Inovelli Blue Series 2-1 Switch Review - Unboxing & Installation

I put together a video review of the Blue Series, with an unboxing and installation:

Really happy with the switch and I’ll be ordering more!

7 Likes

Hey thanks for taking the time out to video and review the switch. I’m glad you like it!

Now that you installed it and played with it a bit, what, if anything, would you improve about the overall experience and hardware/software?

I know you mentioned UI in HA, maybe we can work with those guys to improve it.

Would love any constructive feedback to make this even better!

1 Like

Great question, Eric!

First, I just want to say I hope you guys are proud: this switch is awesome. You’ve really built an impressive piece of technology here!

Hardware wise, I think the only negative I can think of is the button action. For my preference, I wish it was just a slightly softer feel to it. I would also prefer a slightly less loud click sound when pressing the button.

Software wise, I have no complaint on the features. You’ve got literally every feature I can think of jam packed into this thing. Amazing! My only suggested change would be about defaults. I know everyone’s preferences are different, but keep in mind that many people will never change settings from the defaults, so having good defaults is really important.

As you saw in the video, I strongly prefer instant on: it’s so important for making the switch feel more like a regular switch, especially for guests who are unfamiliar with smart switches. I really think that anyone who is going to use the double click configure the delay to enable it. If I were to guess, I’d suspect most people don’t use the double click gesture and would prefer instant on, though of course I have a bias.

That relay click! I’m not sure I understand why you added it in. Noises like that drive me nuts, so I can’t imagine why someone would want a loud click every time the relay goes on or off. Maybe there’s a use case I’m missing, but I would strongly suggest turning that off by default.

Lastly, the default color of the LED bar. I’m curious how you picked cyan? To me, the cyan is really rough on the eyes, especially at night. I much prefer a medium or warm white or even a yellow. Very subjective though, so it’s hard to pick a good default. Might be interesting to do a user study to find the most common color people like.

But again, I’m able to configure it the way I like it, which is the most important part! The UI in home assistant is a little difficult to use, but I was able to figure it out, and luckily, you really only have to do it once when you first install it.