Inovelli Blue series flooding Zigbee network

I used this python script to disable most of the entities in HA

I posted an example config for this script on this gist that disables all of the extra entities except for light, update, action, energy, and power.

3 Likes

Mind if I ask, what all do you have adjusted to keep things moving? Do you have just the power turned off in Z2M (the 3 exposes settings and the 2 on the reporting tab set to 1800), and do you have any/all the entities turned off in MQTT?

I have 18 switches and my system is very much not happy. I have the Z2M power settings adjusted, and most but not all entities turned off in MQTT. I plugged in 3 switches a week ago ago and everything zigbee related quit working. I had to airgap half my switches to get Z2M to be responsive and even allow me to open the z2m GUI to adjust the power stuff. I turned all the power settings off, but Z2M still goes unresponsive at times (wont open the gui but automations are still happening, occasionally it quits talking to MQTT and I have to restart)…

@mbrink on the reporting tab, change the min value to 1800 and max to 3600. I haven’t been able to mess with the entities yet. I’m not sure how the software/hardware stack works to know if removing entities works, and I haven’t been able to test it yet. I do know increasing the reporting length on every switch in the reporting tab and on the expose tab disable power reporting and setting high values for everything else in the exposes tab for power/reporting helps.

Not sure if this is related, however, I have Hubitat and it seems binding works and then sometimes in a 4-way switch scenario one of the switches drops out of the binding until it’s air gap is pulled. Happens almost daily.

Zigbee network appears slow. The more switches added, the slower the network appears.

Also when adding new switches, pairing fails many times before finally getting it paired. The network is definitely much less usable the more switches are installed. So either it’s because the switches are flooding the network (maybe like a loop), or routing is still failing on the switches.

I’m thinking this is a firmware issue, maybe its multicasting too much stuff. No idea.

I prefer to alter the min W and kWh change to reduce the amount of messages sent. I’ve seen fluctuations as much as 2.2W on a constant load. I have found 2.5W and 0.1kWh works for me so far.

2 Likes

@Eric_Inovelli @EricM_Inovelli is there going to be some sort of firmware change which modifies these default behaviors? It doesn’t seem prudent to have people need to manually fix all of their switches to stop them from flooding the Zigbee network with aggressive reporting.

1 Like

Which version of z2m are you using? We submitted a PR to fix the issue but maybe it hasn’t hit your system yet?

1 Like

Ran into same problem with the flooding the network. For HA using Z2M, I created a home assistant script Home Assistant Configure Inovelli Blue Script · GitHub to configure all my dimmers.

3 Likes

Nice script!
Need to get better at things like that so I can do it for ZHA…
Thanks for the insight @ajeun !

-Jonathan

After some experimenting, I prefer disabling the values in Z2M rather that in HA. Example Z2M config for disabling all the extra entities: Zigbee2Mqtt Inovelli Config · GitHub

I have 28 switches installed now and am starting to see a slowdown. Going to try to this and see if it helps.

Is there a place we can go to see what each of these mean?

Also, is there a faster way to do this than one by one?

For your code, is it just a matter of copying it and putting it in the z2m configuration.yaml file that I’m currently using in my instance?

You will need to restart Z2M after copying and if you have an existing device_options: section in your configuration.yaml then you will need to merge it.

1 Like

OK so I did this for the 28 switches I’ve installed and I’ve noticed significantly less zigbee network traffic in logs. Also, my devices to seem more responsive.

So the winning combination seems to be disabled most entities (like I showed above) and setting these under the Reporting tab for each switch (wish it wasn’t a one by one process).

Hi group,
Any progress or updates from anyone experiencing this?

I’m trying to build a mesh with ~46 blue switches and about 75 Juno Connect Tunable wafers.
First 30 devices, things go fine. Then slowly I see more and more issues trying to add devices. By the time I’m at 70 devices, I can’t seem to add any additional devices reliably and I get severe network instability through home assistant).

I will say that groups and binding set up as the network is built work flawlessly (leading me to believe a coordinator/traffic issue).

I was having issues with the Sonnoff itead ZBDongle-E version. So I swapped it to the skyconnect usb dongle I have on hand (and tried to rebuild the mesh from scratch). This seems better, but I still have:

1. Severe issues adding devices as the device count goes up.
  2. Black Box messages in Home assistant that my network has issues. Transmission tried 3x, failed, Network busy

Any input or thoughts. I realize it’s a big mesh, but I would think this should all work.

You could create a Hubitat app to update multiple switches at once based on parameter ID. The app would send a zigbee ‘SetPrivateCluster’ command. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m running Home Assistant :confused:

I’m not as familiar with HA, but I would assume they have a similar way to build an “extension / app” to do the same thing.

1 Like

I don’t run a large network of Zigbee devices, but I saw this new firmware update for coordinators mentioned performance improvements on large networks: Release Z-Stack_3.x.0_coordinator_20221226 · Koenkk/Z-Stack-firmware · GitHub

Thanks to @nathanfiscus who posted the recommendation in another thread.

This will remove the duplicate attribrutes in all the entities. Just uncheck the box for “Home Assistant legacy entity attributes” then submit. After you must do a complete Home Assistant restart. Only restarting Z2M will not work.

1 Like