Instant Notifications All Switches Using Multicast on HA

Exactly!!!

That’s all I was trying to do. When I read “it worked and then didn’t but works with partials” I was simply trying to point to the solution that works and stays working. If people take offence to trying to help, I can’t control that.

As for the why it works for some out of the box and not for others, I’ve got absolutely no clue. I’m not a zwavejs expert so I’ll leave that one for the smarter people :slight_smile:

I’m just trying to share what happened this morning, nothing more. There was a reason I responded to flipontheradios post directly about using the partial parameters instead of the thread in general.

Then you go as far as posting that I posted partial parameters didn’t work when I never posted that?

1 Like

I’m bowing out of this thread. Was only trying to help. I appologize for upsetting anybody.

1 Like

I checked this on another install. Those steps do get it working and the parameter showed up on the dimmers I set the partial parameters only, not any others. It’s called param16(property) so it must get added to a config file in ZWJS. It wasn’t there on the dimmer this morning though which I find even more odd now.

I just got this working with my system, it seems really fast and convenient so far. However I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to use a group as the target? Rather than needing to find every automation targeting “all red series dimmers” and updating them when I add a new switch.

1 Like

Regex expression to find all dimmers.
*I haven’t tried this myself yet but have it pinned to try.

1 Like

I’m using multicast with a group. The Visual Editor doesn’t seem to allow you to pick a group, but if you edit the YAML directly it works

I also have scripts that modifies all the configurations I want to change (from their defaults) and then fires the multicast command to all of my switches/dimmers so I can be sure they’re all setup the same without going through each one individually. Now when I add new switches, I just add them to my groups and run the scripts to configure them like the rest :slight_smile:

1 Like

After doing some more work with this, I think this works because entity_id accepts any list input. I wrote a template script that pulls any light device with a manufacturer of ‘Inovelli’ to send multicasts to, and using this result (converted to entity ids) in the entity_id option works fine. However it does not work with device_id for some reason. Not sure if this is an issue with zwavejs, but to anyone else working on this, just stick to doing it by entities, not devices.

Nice! Can you share the template script? I’d love to be able to use manufacturer/product code instead of manually maintaining lists of my switches/dimmers.

Absolutely!

action:
  - service: zwave_js.multicast_set_value
    target:
      entity_id: >
        {% set ns=namespace(entities=[]) %} 
        {% for entity in states.light|map(attribute='entity_id') %}
          {% if device_attr(entity, 'manufacturer') == 'Inovelli' %}
            {% set ns.entities = ns.entities + [entity] %}
          {% endif %}
        {% endfor %}
        {{ ns.entities|join(', ') }}
    data:
      value: 16976468
      command_class: '112'
      property: '16'

You could probably add a second condition for the device type so that it doesn’t try to run for bulbs, sensors, etc. But so far I only have switches, so I didn’t bother :slight_smile:

8 Likes

For anybody coming along trying to follow this and struggle with getting it to work even after adding the bulk set parameter, zwavejs does NOT support multicast with S2 joined devices (S0 does not support it period.) If you want multicast you have to re-join everything as unsecure.

3 Likes

From my limited testing it seems to work fine if you only target S2 devices, but not with a mixed set.

1 Like

Maybe someone can add something here that will help…with something SUPER ANNOYING about the Red Series On/Off switches (LZW30-SN) which use command class 37 to turn on and off via multicast:

I have 15 switches like this, and I also have a few GE/Enbrighten switches for a couple of fireplaces. When I want to turn on all the Red Series Switches using multicast…the Fireplaces turn on/off too because they ALSO USE COMMAND CLASS 37! How annoying is that!

The inovelli dimmers use command class 38, so they’re fine.

If anyone knows how to deal with this, let me know!

Is there any chance you have set “Broadcast” to true/on in the multicast settings? For me multicast only turns on devices I have selected unless broadcast is on then it turns everything with the same command on across all devices.

Hi Greg, you are correct, I forgot to mention that. Yes, broadcast is being used, and that causes the issue. There’s no issue with broadcasting on the dimmers because they’re using CC 38.

So when I turn broadcast off, then you get this cascading of lights turning on one by one…it’s not exactly instantaneous! The last few lights can take 20-30 seconds to finally respond.

If there’s a way around this, let me know.

Multicast sends one signal to all INCLUDED switches to perform an action at once, there should be no delay except for ms for further distances or hops.

Broadcast sends the same thing to everything on the network.

Use multicast with your switches identified in the service call.

1 Like

Thank you everyone. I love how this community responds to promptly!

Maybe I’m not explaining it well here’s a recap:

Using command class 37 for LZW30-SN:

1. Multicast ON + Broadcast ON → all red series switches turn on, as well as all other devices using command class 37 (happens to be my fireplaces which use GE…YIKES)

2. Multicast ON + Broadcast OFFonly the red series switches turn on, but hardly instantaneously.…they cascade until the last one eventually turns on as much as 20-30 seconds later.

So I’m sort of stuck with option #2 at the moment.

Yea broadcast is a substantially faster command on my network as well and I’m in a similar scenario but I can’t use it for “off” because it turns off switches I need to stay on.

Do you know if all your red switches are on the latest firmware? Also what zwave stick are using? Do you have any inovelli bulbs or led strips that are also the same command class? Are your switches added with security? Multicast is still fast for my inovelli switches, 24 of them and only takes a few seconds for all on or off.

Can you share the service call?