Instant Notifications All Switches Using Multicast on HA

I just tried mine, I didn’t get that parameter but it still worked. I did re-starts and re-interviews and the parameter is still not there.

So far, I have only played with the notifications on one dimmer and I know I have never sent a notification from HA to it. I did set some with OZW but have never done it with ZWJS yet. When you first posted this, I tried it and it worked. Then, I tried it again last night and it didn’t work so I tried the set partial parameters and that worked. Then I tried re-starts and re-interviews this morning without getting that parameter but tried the multicast again anyways and it worked. I’m finding this really odd and sketchy at the moment.

Did you setup the manual json files for the devices? I had to do this to be able to use multicast

No, only did what I wrote.

Check out post #29 above. #38 if you’ve got the fan/light combo.

I believe the difference between having to do this step or not comes down to when it was included to zwavejs but can’t say for certain. Regardless, adding these lines to the json file and rebooting zwavejs gets the multicast working for notifications.

As I posted in the initial post I made, it works without that parameter.

I definitely agree there is some weirdness. All of my testing has been from new installs (I think I’m on my 4th lol) who knows what weird environment differences we have. Glad its working though, hopefully it stays that way. I’ll have to look at the configs and see if the method I posted alters the configs similar to what what @MRobi posted, I’m guessing it does but I’ll check.

Does it though? Because based on your initial post you said it worked, then it didn’t, then partial parameters worked and then didn’t. And after restarts and reinterviews it worked again. I’m only trying to help by directing you to the solution that others have used that works 100% of the time, not 50%. If you’ve got it working 100% of the time, great! But your initial post you keep referring to when I tried to help doesn’t make that very clear.

1 Like

Currently it works without the parameter when it apparently shouldn’t be working. Why can’t I simply post that without being given a hard time about it?

Everybody chill! We all have the same goal here, get notifications working on our switches using multicast! It doesn’t work out of the box so we are all trying to help each other out :slight_smile:

Exactly!!!

That’s all I was trying to do. When I read “it worked and then didn’t but works with partials” I was simply trying to point to the solution that works and stays working. If people take offence to trying to help, I can’t control that.

As for the why it works for some out of the box and not for others, I’ve got absolutely no clue. I’m not a zwavejs expert so I’ll leave that one for the smarter people :slight_smile:

I’m just trying to share what happened this morning, nothing more. There was a reason I responded to flipontheradios post directly about using the partial parameters instead of the thread in general.

Then you go as far as posting that I posted partial parameters didn’t work when I never posted that?

1 Like

I’m bowing out of this thread. Was only trying to help. I appologize for upsetting anybody.

1 Like

I checked this on another install. Those steps do get it working and the parameter showed up on the dimmers I set the partial parameters only, not any others. It’s called param16(property) so it must get added to a config file in ZWJS. It wasn’t there on the dimmer this morning though which I find even more odd now.

I just got this working with my system, it seems really fast and convenient so far. However I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is possible to use a group as the target? Rather than needing to find every automation targeting “all red series dimmers” and updating them when I add a new switch.

1 Like

Regex expression to find all dimmers.
*I haven’t tried this myself yet but have it pinned to try.

1 Like

I’m using multicast with a group. The Visual Editor doesn’t seem to allow you to pick a group, but if you edit the YAML directly it works

I also have scripts that modifies all the configurations I want to change (from their defaults) and then fires the multicast command to all of my switches/dimmers so I can be sure they’re all setup the same without going through each one individually. Now when I add new switches, I just add them to my groups and run the scripts to configure them like the rest :slight_smile:

1 Like

After doing some more work with this, I think this works because entity_id accepts any list input. I wrote a template script that pulls any light device with a manufacturer of ‘Inovelli’ to send multicasts to, and using this result (converted to entity ids) in the entity_id option works fine. However it does not work with device_id for some reason. Not sure if this is an issue with zwavejs, but to anyone else working on this, just stick to doing it by entities, not devices.

Nice! Can you share the template script? I’d love to be able to use manufacturer/product code instead of manually maintaining lists of my switches/dimmers.

Absolutely!

action:
  - service: zwave_js.multicast_set_value
    target:
      entity_id: >
        {% set ns=namespace(entities=[]) %} 
        {% for entity in states.light|map(attribute='entity_id') %}
          {% if device_attr(entity, 'manufacturer') == 'Inovelli' %}
            {% set ns.entities = ns.entities + [entity] %}
          {% endif %}
        {% endfor %}
        {{ ns.entities|join(', ') }}
    data:
      value: 16976468
      command_class: '112'
      property: '16'

You could probably add a second condition for the device type so that it doesn’t try to run for bulbs, sensors, etc. But so far I only have switches, so I didn’t bother :slight_smile:

8 Likes