Lag / Slow Switch or Bulb? We Did A Speed Test - SmartThings vs Hubitat vs IQ Panel 2

bulbMemory needs a default value in the DTH. Manually setting one let’s me control the bulb again.

What I am seeing with the Zwave bulb using this DTH is around 300ms running via the cloud.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/SmartThingsInovelli/master/devicetypes/inovelliusa/inovelli-bulb-multi-color-lzw42.src/inovelli-bulb-multi-color-lzw42.groovy

On the ones that are hanging make sure there aren’t any null values set on the DTH.

Typically the only thing I do when adding a new z-wave device to my SmartThings hub is to run a z-wave repair until it has no errors. (Z-wave repair is in the menu for the hub in the new app and you can view logs in the IDE under hub events). Even if you only have one z-wave device connected to your hub, I would do this. People have seen “ghost” devices pop-up here before that cause issues.

Based on what jody said, i’d be curious if you did a comparison on the switch in “normal” mode vs z-wave association mode. I’ve never used mine with z-wave association.

1 Like

I’ll take a look at my setup at home for sure to see. We unpaired all the bulbs at work, but I’ll keep that in mind! What do you put in the place of null?

Got it – so much confusing information out there, glad to hear this is something you do. We actually had this in our manuals (to run a repair every time a new device is added) but when we ran it through the Z-Wave Alliance for approval, they told us to take it out (redacted the name):

Subject line was: No, no, no, no, no

Lol.

Thanks for clarifying that you still do this.

Sorry for the confusion. We were not in Z-Wave Association mode – switches were all wired normally and no Z-Wave Associations were set up.

1 Like

Here is my RGB bulb running in the cloud. This is the kind of performance I would expect to see.

1 Like

I just opened the settings for the bulb and selected one of the enum values. This is the setting for memory on power failure.

Just to make sure I was getting the out of box experience, I removed the bulb my old dth, etc. I started clean by letting my hub discover the bulb and use the stock local DTH. I then added a fresh copy of the DTH, published, and assigned the dth to the device. I started having problems right out of the gate and needed to look at the logs. Once I set the bulbMemory value everything was working as you see in the video. I am getting some occasional network errors, but I have not run any repair or done anything that a normal user would not know how to do.

edit: I do have a fairly large z-wave network (60+) devices

Awesome, great to hear! We’ll take a look at the handler. There was some outside modifications to it, so who knows, but this is promising.

Can you try it without the DTH? The bulb is WWST Certified so we don’t recommend using the DTH anymore.

Appreciate you testing!

Oh with the stock DTH it works flawlessly, as do all of my other Inovelli products. I have been using them for quite sometime now.

1 Like

I’m gonna chime in here a little bit, one reason is primarily because Eric and the whole Inovelli team are amazing at reaching out and I think that is worth something these days.

I have been with ST for a LONG time…I was around back in the kickstarter days and have gone through many a painful days with them. I have gone through three hubs and currently have a V2. I have been devoted to ST and have told stories of wonderfulness to all who have listened and brought many a friend on the ST train. I have gone through the lengthy downtimes and been in and out of their beta program. I have over 75+ devices on ST with more that I have to add but have not for reasons to be discussed.

I have first gen motion and open/close sensors from ST as well as stuff from other brands including the Inovelli motion. I have GE switches and Inovelli switches as well as other types I have played with but don’t stay. Multiple bulbs, multiple integrations (you know - like the crazy people hahaa)

I write all this just to give you a little insight to the amount of time I have played with this stuff and lurked all over the place. Now for the painful truth…(at least FOR ME)

As of the last few months ST has become almost unusable due to the inconsistency. There was a point recently where I had no automation for almost 2 months (no control either) due to a firmware they pushed and then told me it was a problem on my end, until crazily enough a new update came and everything was fixed. Every update, my first gen sensors un-pair themselves and I have to get on a ladder. Just recently my GE switch flipped orientation…(was using the default DTH from ST). My Inovelli switches which were once rock solid…are pretty much useless except for manual control. Delay on ST has gotten so bad that some updates are coming in excess of minutes. Even recently, voice control via Google Home is spotty (which is a new occurrence YAH!)

I have run z-wave repair more times than I can count, I have troubleshot my mesh a few times. I have 500mbs internet with low latency (I have a grafana dashboard monitoring it), and ST still hasn’t gotten better.

Now, I’m not going to spear ST and say it is absolutely their fault. Maybe my hub is old (it is). Maybe it’s the close to 100 networked devices on my internal network…I don’t know. All I know is that the local device control GE switches are acceptable in response, anything else is painful. I’m not sure what has changed but this has been a slow deterioration of ST. I am assuming I could wait a couple months and it will miraculously get better as it has done over the years…but I’m sort of done. If Hubitat hubs weren’t sold out, I would already have it and be in the process of migrating.

I hate to say goodbye to ST as it was as somebody said, my first girlfriend. It started me down an insanely cool path of home control that to this day still astonishes friends and family. The reality is, for the masses and for low volume automation, ST seems to be great. Now, anything more and it doesn’t feel like it’s geared towards that anymore which is fine. But I have to move on.

6 Likes

I should’ve bought a second one during their last sale.

1 Like

I guess I’ll chime in with my mixed experience.

When ST is working “optimally”, it works great. I see delays under 1 second all the time, most delays are under 200ms.

Recently, ST has been working “sub-optimally”. Sometimes commands just plain don’t work (Hello new Alexa integration?), sometimes it takes MINUTES to control (which is brutal when you leave the house THEN the garage door opens, thanks MyQ notifications!). Sometimes it takes 1-2 seconds to execute, which is just annoying.

I’m frankly “stuck” with ST because of all of the WebCore pistons, device count (it would SUCK to convert them all to another platform), etc.

So here I am, trying to make the best of a crap situation, wondering when someone from ST will own up to their new app being trash, Smartapps working about 10% of the time, integrations being half-baked, and monthly fix 1 thing/break 2 things.

What to do…

1 Like

I’m on Hubitat but I came from ST. I would think the fact that the ST hub doesn’t give you a way to restrict certain devices from pairing securely or not might have something to do with the performance differences too. Hubitat by default only lets locks and garage door openers pair securely. That can be changed if desired but it adds overhead so on devices where security isn’t needed it seems to make sense to join them non-secure.

1 Like

I don’t know much about Hubitat, but this doesn’t make sense. Z-wave S2 actually has less overhead than S0
https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/z-wave/controller-sdk/previous-versions

S2 uses far less overhead than S0 for over the air firmware updates however many ST users still use the old app which I believe is limited to S0 pairing and both S0 and S2 use more bandwidth than non-secure Z-Wave which is what Inovelli’s switches and bulbs would be using on most people’s Hubitat hubs due to the default of secure pairing being limited to locks and garage door controllers.

Maybe I was mistaken on the everyday use bandwifth, I thought it was lower too. I’ll udpate if I find something suggesting this.

This may be another good point to compare, though. My red series dimmer is paired to SmartThings via S2. (networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S2_AUTHENTICATED listed in the Groovy IDE). @jody what security level are your inovelli devices paired with?

For this test they were not paired with secure inclusion.

Edit: There is no DSK included for the bulb I tested with and it always pairs in ZWAVE_S0_LEGACY

If anyone wants to assist with narrowing down these issues on SmartThings here is what you can try

1. Test with only stock DTH using mobile app
  2. Test with custom DTH using mobile app
  3. Test with stock DTH but make a copy to force it to run in the cloud
  4. Test with voice using the stock and custom DTH
  5. Create an automation with a contact sensor and open and close it

Note any errors or lag with each step
Preform these actions and post the results here.

I have found that pretty much anything I’ve paired to the ST hub in S2 works intermittently and slow if it even completes at all. Z wave associations and some parameter changes I also found just hang and never get completed on S2 security. Multiple Z wave repairs didn’t seem to help. After excluding and adding in the Classic app w/out S2 everything seemed to get back to normal. I understand some issues with the sudden migration of a lot of wink users maybe that affecting things recently with increased traffic.

1 Like

Are you using the custom DTH?