LED bar turned on in the middle of the night

I have a Blue series 2-1 switch controlling smart bulbs via Home Assistant (ZHA).

Last night, my wife and I were awoken by the LED bar on the switch blasting at full intensity white. This was unusual because the “Default all LED on intensity” and “Default all LED off intensity” entities in Home Assistant were both set to 0, and I have no automations that send notifications via the LED bar.

The history of the “Default all LED on intensity” and “Default all LED off intensity” entities shows no errant behavior around the time this happened, so I’m wondering: What else might be causing this issue and how can I fix it? I’d sure like to not have to sleep with electrical tape over my LED bar.

1 Like

The LED bar went from whatever default you have to solid white full brightness? Did it just stay like that or anything you do fix it? Can you confirm the switch firmware? Any other switches do the same, etc?

Do you see anything in the logbook for the device?

The LED bar went from whatever default you have to solid white full brightness? Did it just stay like that or anything you do fix it?

In the middle of the night, I couldn’t diagnose the issue, because both “Default all LED off intensity” and “Default all LED on intensity” were both set to 0, and I was half-asleep, so I didn’t have the brainpower to look further. I just covered it with electrical tape at the time. When I woke up this morning, it had returned to the expected default.

Can you confirm the switch firmware? Any other switches do the same, etc?

The device reports firmware version 0x0102020b. I have no other switches of this type.

Do you see anything in the logbook for the device?

Not seeing anything, but I also don’t know which of the 32 associated configuration entities to view logs for. As I mentioned, the two I thought would be relevant (“Default all LED on intensity” and “Default all LED off intensity”) show no changes, and same with their respective color entities.

I’m wondering if this might have something to do with the difference between dimmer/on-off output mode? When I set up the switch, I had not yet installed the smart bulbs, so it was in basic on-off switch mode, and my automations for controlling the LED bar therefore used the “all LED on” and “all LED off” entities. A week ago, on the 4th, I installed the smart bulbs and switched the device to Smart Bulb mode, which also changed its output mode to dimmer mode. Last night at bedtime, I changed the output mode back to On-Off because I was familiar with that and wasn’t using the dimming capabilities.

I’m not sure what this would have affected to result in the LED bar turning bright white in the middle of the night, but it’s the only significant change I can identify.

I know you said zha, but with z2m you can view the device as a whole and see all associated entities. Is that not possible with zha?

Any other users in the house, or smart assistants? The only thing I can think of is something like a ‘turn on lights’ that hit your LED bar too, but that seems unlikely.