LED saturation (let's see white!)

So, I like that we get a nice selection of LED colors, but did anyone notice you can’t make set it to white? There’s no setting for saturation, which prevents us from setting the indicator to white. Is this a limitation in the firmware that can be addressed in future versions?

Edit: Talking about the Red Series switches here.

1 Like

I noticed this as well, my initial thought was maybe it was too difficult to tell the difference between yellow and white so they choose the colors that would be easiest to differentiate? No idea if that’s the case or not.

I don’t think it’s that. Hue (the color parameter we have today) is just one of the 3 parameters of the HSV/HSL color representation models. With hue alone, you can’t represent black or white. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSL_and_HSV
The LED brightness seems to be a decent proxy for lightness (by turning brightness down, we darker shades). But we don’t have a mechanism to control saturation, which would be required to represent white (or lighter tints of any color).

If I had my wish, I’d ask for an RGB setting for the LED - but I’m guessing there’s a good reason why Hue was chosen instead.

1 Like

Tagging to follow this. Would definitely like to see a white color option on the LEDs.

I wonder if it’s because survey says… white isn’t a “good” color for the LED. Interestingly (or not), i don’t think i’d pick white if (and when) it’s an available option.

I don’t think there’s any need to start classifying colors as “good” or “bad”. We all have our preferences. My guess is it’s an intentional omission based on firmware limitations. Or, maybe it’s just an oversight. I bet @Eric_Inovelli could find out.

I don’t think RGB can produce a nice clean white, I’m pretty sure it would have to be an RGBW array. My old Insteon devices use white LEDs and I will say I think that looks much more timeless than an other color I’ve tried so far. However, the RGB is amazing for notifications.

This is coming to at least the dimmers. I noticed the listing of “White” in the Excel calculator for the dimmer notifications, but couldn’t get it to work (Its not in the firmware yet). But here is the comment per @Eric_Inovelli:

3 Likes

Just adding my name in the hat. I was working on ST automating coloring of the LED bar and had my base color blue but changed it to white and it all went to heck.

I’d like to have my primary/normal working condition be white IF it’s a nice white :slight_smile:.

How did you change it to white?

Webcore/ST tried, but it didn’t work.