LZW-35 Blue Fan Switch Behavior

I have just installed a LZW-35 Blue Fan switch on my fireplace fan, replacing the speed selection dimmer that was in place (Hot and load only on previous dimmer - Neutral connected for LZW-35.) I have it set up as a multi-speed/ceiling fan since I know it can be dimmed based on the previous wall switch.

I’m seeing some odd behavior. When I have the fan set to 34-66%, allegedly medium, it runs at full. When I go to 67% and higher, it gets slightly slower, but not enough that it would be considered a different speed. At 33% and below the fan barely, and I mean almost inaudibly, runs. I’m concerned the fan is not getting enough power in this setting.

Is there a way to customize the amount of power being provided for each setting since every fan will respond differently? Or is this fan incompatible?

Thanks!

1 Like

Verify the fan you’re connecting to can use a ceiling fan style speed selector. Especially if the old control was one of those “dial” style speed controllers then this switch can only work in exhaust mode, not as a speed controller. You can burn up a motor using the wrong kind of controller.

I’m having the same issue, but only in Zigbee2MQTT where the switch is recognized as a fan. I previously used the switch for my fan with ZHA, where it was recognized as a light, but dimming values controlled it as you would expect.

Any ideas here?

Quick edit: I put the switch into “exhaust” on/off mode, and the speeds are better, but “low” is still way too fast.

@morelup Any updates on this issue?

I’m not with inovelli, so I can’t give any kind of updates. I would be surprised if a fireplace fan can use this switch as a speed controller.

Ah! Thanks for your help in this thread. Im not OP, who was looking to use the switch with their fireplace. Mine is just a regular ceiling fan, but I’m having a similar issue.

@chack Any ideas on this behavior?

Just for clarity, this is the VZM35-SN and you’re using Z2M to control a ceiling fan (not fireplace fan as in OP)? Did it work fine with ZHA and it’s just with Z2M that you’re running into issues?

I’m not very familiar with the config in Z2M unfortunately, but you might want to try a separate post just to keep the details clear if someone with more knowledge there can take a look?

Just for clarity, this is the VZM35-SN and you’re using Z2M to control a ceiling fan (not fireplace fan as in OP)? Did it work fine with ZHA and it’s just with Z2M that you’re running into issues?

This is correct. I’ll start a new topic, thanks for the heads up!