LZW30-SN can't control from SmartThings, status still shows ok

I have a LZW30-SN that has stopped working properly yesterday. I have probably around 10+ automations linked to this one switch so removing it from ST and re-adding is the very last resort that I want to take to troubleshoot this.

Yesterday, I updated the device handler for the switch. I suspect that the issues are related to that.

The switch works fine for turning on and off the main load. All the button automations associated with the switch seems to work fine. The switch shows its on/off state in the SmartThings app (classic and new) fine and updates as I manually toggle the switch.

What is not working, is remote control of the switch. I can’t turn the switch on and off in the SmartThings app, and none of the automations that turn the switch on and off, seem to work. Neither does the notification light. The notifications status updates correctly in the ST app, but the light does not change to reflect this.

It’s as if all remote control of the switch has been disabled. Interestingly enough, my other LZW30-SN switch seems fine, and it should also use the newly updated device handler.

I have pulled the air gap but that did not restore remote control of the switch. Both the working and non-working switch reports FW 1.09 in the ST app.

I did not see anything useful in the ST IDE logging.

Any suggestions? Is this a hardware failure (seems unlikely).

There are a number of variables that factor in here, to include which ST app you included the switch under, which app it’s under now (presumably the new one) and the versions of the DH that you went from and to.

Are you seeing the new features in the DH you upgraded to? Presumably you upgraded the DH to gain some functionality, so are you seeing that functionality working in either/all of the switches?

I’m asking because in my case, I had to exclude and re-add a switch to gain the new functionality of the updated DH. In my case, though, I made a big jump in DH versions AND I had added the switch under the Classic app and I’m now using the new app. So I’m not sure that a switch just starts using the new DH automatically. This may or may not be the case for you.

Maybe first try going into the IDE and switch the type to something incorrect and save. Then go back and reselect the proper type.

Hopefully someone who has upgraded DHs in ST can comment on what it takes to get a switch using the new DH.

Thanks for the reply. I added the switch in the classic ST app and I’ve just recently started looking into the new app, since the classic app deadline is approaching. I have not migrated my location yet.

I did not expect any new functionality with the new DH. I was trying to add an automation in the new app and couldn’t figure out how to do the associated buttons, So I updated the DH. I did not update the child device handler. And it seems that the child stuff has changed some since I last looked at it. When I first installed this, I had to install the switch device handler and a child device handler if I wanted to use the associated buttons. It seems now that there are two child pieces to install. Maybe that’s part of the problem.

In my experience with ST, the new DH takes effect the moment you hit publish.

I have literally every button (all thirteen!) mapped to smart lighting automations and some stuff I’m playing with. And I have two notifications that toggle the LED to show if a door is locked. Those notifications show up fine in the app, all the button presses work with the automations.

It’s as if the “disable remote control” flag is set (which I’ve cleared and set but no difference).

Are the previous drivers available somewhere?

Go into the device configuration on the new app. Make sure the make child device disable z-wave is off. Save go back into the configurarton and make sure the parameters disable z-wave is unchecked. I did an upgrade and couldn’t use the physical switch because of a similar. Child device. In the end, you may want to temporarily move your triggers to another switch, factory reset this one and move your triggers back.

That’s correct. There isn’t a child DH any longer. Just the one you publish.

I don’t have either of those settings in the app. There is a disable remote control, which is set to no. If you meant Create "Disable local Control’ and Create “Disable Remote Control” child devices - those are both false. I tried toggling them but still had no effect.

I guess things are going from bad to worse :frowning:

I excluded the device after nothing so far has worked. Now I can’t add it back to SmartThings in either the new or the classic app. Whenever I exclude the device, I get a green LED and immediately ST says a device has successfully been removed (classic app). When I then try to add a device in either the old or the new app, I get a green LED after a few seconds, but neither app completes the pairing such that the device is visible in the app or IDE. I’ve done this process many times, I tried to factory reset the switch and pulled the air gap.

Is the new SmartThings app compatible when I select the Inovelli Red switch series when adding?

Any suggestions on what else to try before we have to revert to apes pawing at the wall to get the light on? :slight_smile:

How are you trying to add it in the new app? Are you scanning the barcode? Then what happens?

In the new app, I do the following under my Home:

Hit the + to get the Add screen
Select Device
Select Switch/dimmer
Select Inovelli
Click Supported Devices and choose Switch Red Series
Hit Start
Select Hub and Room
Press Config button 3x on switch - switch starts pulsing blue light, and almost immediately turns green (which tells me it is paired to the hub).
But then the pairing process never completes in the app and eventually gives an error to retry.

At this point I need to exclude the switch before I can try again. I haven’t found how to exclude in the new app, so I use the classic. The exclusion happens almost immediately so I know the communication between the hub and the switch is good.

The error code I get in the app is 34-302, if that means anything.

Exclude is under z-wave utilities under the 3 dot menu in the hub device for the new app. Confusing, yes.

Please exclude, RESET the switch (20s hold config until red), then pair using QR code, snap a shot of the QR on the switch (or paper that came with it), type in the 5-digit code, and see if that allows control. Seems like a parameter got borked and it’s not allowing z-wave commands.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I have a V1 hub, so not sure if it supports secure Z-Wave. I also don’t see any three-dot menu on my Home hub device. The screen is not loading properly (spinner for Connected devices just keeps spinning).

For what it’s worth, I have already tried resetting the switch several times today (holding the config button until I get a red light). I guess I’ll just have to keep trying. Or just bin ST and start moving everything over to my Hubitat that I’m planning to move to when ST deprecates the V1 hub.

I still have the device handler code loaded in the IDE for my other switch, which is still working 100%. Don’t know why this particular switch decided to act up.

Unfortunately this particular switch is the central switch in the kitchen that basically controls everything we use all day long, so if I move it over to Hubitat, I have to move half of my stuff over.

I tried adding the switch via the barcode using your suggestions, but the behavior was the same - almost immediate green light on the switch as it paired with the hub, but the app pairing timed out with an error after a few minutes. I have to use the classic app to exclude (should not make any difference, I would think). I was also never prompted for a code (not unexpected).

For what it’s worth, the switch paired right up to the Hubitat. However I seem to be having some issues controlling it using the dashboard in HE. I did not install the device code as Hubitat lists the Inovelli switch as compatible.

Do you have another switch to swap it out with? If you are having problems with it in two hubs, particularly after a factory reset, that suggests that switch may be failing.

I do not have a spare switch. Maybe time to contact Inovelli for a swap. I’ve spent more than enough time trying to figure this out.

Currently I am trying to figure out how to update the firmware using Hubitat. I can’t figure out what URL to paste into the Hubitat firmwareUrl field. The documentation does not really seem to match up with reality very well.

FYI Hubitat seems to control it from the device page but not from the dashboard. So maybe the switch is ok…

So I finally got the device working properly in Hubitat. It paired first time and worked except for using a button on the dashboard. The button would turn the device on or off, but never update its status (stuck on sending…). If I then sent a Refresh() command from the device page, the button would immediately update.

This got me looking at the parameters and it finally started working when I changed the “Association Behavior When” to 15. It was blank but I assumed that meant that it used the default of 15.

This is what all my dimmers look like for associated.

I have a switch at firmware 1.09. I’ve never messed with that parameter before, but empirically that is what got the switch reporting its state.

Before the param change I would only get a MeterReport when I toggled the switch. After the param change I would get an additional SwitchBinaryReport, which seems to be what the dashboard was waiting for to update the state.

Before the change, when I sent a Refresh command, it caused the switch to send a BasicReport, which was enough to cause the dashboard to update.

Just curious . . I’m don’t know Hubitat well so I might be misunderstanding. Are you controlling the lights via Direct Association or via a load on the switch? I understood from your first post that there was a load on the switch. We might have been barking up the wrong tree with ST. Glad you got it going though.

Yes, load on the switch for the main light. But also using all the buttons (multi-tap) to trigger various other automations, as well as using the light for notifications.

1 Like