LZW30-SN turning off by itself

Ok So for the past 48 hours using the new FW for the red dimmer my LIFX bulb is still on at 5% which is a very good sign that this should fix the auto off. I am going to let it run until tomorrow night then switch to our bulbs and see if those also stay on for 72 hours.

BTW my testing has been neutral and 1 bulb.

If this fixes the red dimmers we will ask the mfg to work on the on/off switches next.

Have you had an opportunity to test a case with multiple lights on one switch? I am assuming the load being pulled when all smart lights are off must be different than when only one light is being controlled… or is it? i do not have any situation where I am controlling less than three lights with the relay disabled on a on/off only red switch.

If one bulb using less then 2W and on only 5% then I am pretty sure 10 bulbs on the same circuit will stay on.

Hi Scott,

How much power does your one led record when OFF on your test circuit. Not having the switch off, just the smart bulb turned off through ST or any other hub control.

How many led bulbs would it take to have the power draw be recorded above 2W when they are turned off through a hub control. Try getting to 4 or 5 W usage when all bulbs are off but the switch relay is bypassed and still on. This is most of my cases where I am having difficulty…

In another situation , In my own experience so far the switch will turn off if using above 2W but less than 6-7W. This scenario can and does occur for me when using coloured bulbs at a very dim setting. I have Globe led down lights that when on a colour setting about 10% brightness will only draw about 6W of power with 4 of them on one circuit. “Mood lighting”. These will spontaneously turn off using the Inovelli switch despite it being set to have the relay bypassed.

Everything will stay on and powered once the brightness is about 20% and the switch is recording a draw of 10W or so…

I figure I will try to add as much possible test cases for you cuz you probably do not have much else on your plate… right…

So when I first started testing this issue with auto on/off it was with a LIFX bulb and our 2 bulbs.

I tested with the bulbs at 5% on and the switch turned off after 24 hours. I tested with the bulb off and switch in bypass and the switch turned off in 48 hours.

New test with new FW was tested with same scenario and switch never turned off nor did the bulb.

How much power was being drawn I have no idea since the first test failed with the specs I quoted above and passed with the the new FW.

The rest is up to you to decide whether the logic I used was enough to pass the new FW.

Hi Scott,

I really appreciate all the time and effort you have put to this issue. And my birthday wish to myself is that the new firmware comes out for the on/off red series switch and fixes the issue once and for all.

The reason I am being so insistent about the testing being done Is that what you have revealed as your testing scenario MAY not encompass the actual issue I am having.

In my testing, it was the wattage being pulled that determined whether the switch stayed on or turned off.

This is all with relay bypassed. And your switch reporting W used within ST.

One light in off mode never triggered the switch.
Two lights in off mode never triggered switch.
Three lights in off mode never triggered switch.
<= 2W

Four lights and above in off mode would trigger switch.
Four lights in on mode drawing just a little more power as four lights in off mode. Also triggered the switch.
2W…6W range.

No amount of lights in off mode would draw more than 4W of power.

Your testing as interpreted by me.
One light in On mode at 5% may be equivalent to 4 lights in off mode. But it is power draw that differentiated my tests. Not the dimmer setting per se. It may be pedantic and irrelevant in the end. I hope so.

Sincerely,
An enthusiastic but a little gun shy Inovelli switch user.

-Richard

The same fix will be in the new FW for the on/off switches. I just don’t know when that will be just yet.

Any update? I just installed a new Red Dimmer today and it shuts off almost immediately after I turn off the Hue bulbs on the load line. I can hear the relay clicking. Note I am using a dumb switch 3-way scenario. Disable Local Control is enabled.

@ richthetech @ anon64478871 any ideas?

Hey @jeremykeen - when you mention the load side, are you talking at the dumb switch? Sorry, I’m a little confused here bc you mention the relay is clicking.

I just meant that the hue bulbs are the hard wired load on the switch. I followed the below wiring diagram. As I said, even with local and remote control disabled, when I power off the Hue bulbs via the Hue app, the lights turn off and then the red dimmer does as well. I can hear the click of the relay. I have a support ticket open as well.

https://desk.zoho.com/DocsDisplay?zgId=691830694&mode=inline&blockId=k4wwh08a2d8d608d24e718b6a6748c0d0b750

Are you sure you have a constant hot (line) to the box? I suppose it could be something weird with the switch, but it almost sounds like power is being cut to the switch because the Hue lights are off. It’s almost like the lights are somehow feeding the switch as in a non-neutral configuration. I wouldn’t think that would happen with a constant hot and neutral wired to the switch, but I suppose it’s possible.

I verified the wiring with a voltmeter. Line and neutral to the switch. Last night the switch remained on after I powered off the Hue lights but then today I looked and the switch is physically off again. To clarify, the switch has power and is operational but even though I have local and remote control disabled it is physically switching off the relay. This sounds a lot like the others in this thread.

I just discovered that my google assistant turned off the switch today. Will completely disable control both local and remote to see if this persists.

Hey everyone, is there confirmation that the firmware update worked? I have an LZW30-SN switch in a 3-way configuration with a GE add-on that is having the exact same issue. When the bulbs are off (pulling 4W), the switch will randomly turn off (I can hear the switch click), but not report it back to my SmartThings hub. Switch is currently at firmware v1.09.

I want to make sure the latest firmware actually fixes the issue, as I am running close to the end of my Amazon return window. I am disappointed it seems like I’ll have to buy a z-wave stick in order to get the Inovelli switch functional as advertised when I bought it.

My switch is on fw 1.35 and is still powering itself off

even with the disable local and remote enabled. @Eric_Inovelli or @Bry any suggestions? Note the screenshots. You can see in the smartthings recent activity that the power decreased as I dimmer the Hue lights that are fed by this switch. Then suddenly the switch turns off without any interaction with the switch itself.

I believe so. @EricM_Inovelli May have more reports of it working.

@EricM_Inovelli – you were testing with Hue, right? I haven’t seen this on my On/Off that I run 4 Hue’s on, but I never experienced it on 1.35 either :confused:

I was able to replicate it with firmware 1.35 but not with 1.43 & 1.44.

@EricM_Inovelli -This should be for the on/off series that @Derek was wondering. All my on/off switches were fixed with Aux switches so I’m unable to test that the single pole /3-way was fixed with the firmware upgrade. @Derek -I’m sure it works because it works great for the dimmers. It’s worth a shot for sure. If you do test the firmware, please relay it to Eric so that can add more data.