LZW31-SN Lights Strobing

A few days ago my the single LED high hat connected to my Red Dimmer switch started flickering very fast like a strobe light. I have the dimmer wired without a neutral and an Aeotec bypass in place. It had been working without problem for over a month until this week. Any ideas?

Temporarily swap the bulb for an incandescent if you can. You didn’t specify which high hat you have, so if it’s one where the an adapter screws in to retrofit, that shouldn’t be a problem. If it works properly, that excludes the dimmer. If that’s the case, you will likely need a different LED bulb.

Did you upgrade firmware by any chance? This happened to me after I updated the 1.47 .bin (Target 1) firmware. Re-flashing it fixed it.

Will try that this weekend and report back.

I haven’t touched the firmware, using what came with it. The only think that’s changed is the power went out, and the house was running on a generator for two days. We are back to grid power, and the problem persists

1 Like

I wouldn’t think you blew out the bypass (surges?), but may be something to look at as well. If someone has a bypass lying around, may be worth checking and posting Ohms for comparison.

How could I check that? Would I need a multimeter?

@slamhead - Yes you would in order to check the ohms between the two wires.

Okay, I got a multimeter and the bypass is reading about 9 ohms, is that what should be?

Great question. I’m not sure as I don’t have one available to test. I was hoping someone had one available to test. The manual and spec sheet doesn’t appear to have the number.

@harjms Are you sure the bypass is a resistor? Aeotec’s manual describes it as a capacitive device.

@Bry Definitely not sure. It’s been awhile since I’ve done electronics class. I can only identify it in an electrical diagram. :man_shrugging:t2:

Well I changed the light, and it’s fixed. The bypass is working, either as a capacitor or resistor!

3 Likes

Easy enough! Glad it’s been restore for you. Weird…dang lights seem to cause all the problems.

1 Like