LZW36 and compatible fans

Hi,

I am looking to purchase these switches for some new fans I need to put up. I have verified with my electirican that neutral exists.

That said, what do I look for on a fan so that the LZW36 switch can manage both the fan and light

Thanks

Sal

Mainly look for a fan with pull strings (dumb fan). Do not buy a fan that has a built-in wireless option. Also, you may want to look for a fan without a built-in LED as there are compatibility issues with certain brands of LEDs. Look for a fan that you can switch out the bulbs if needed.

3 Likes

Also make sure it doesn’t have a DC motor, although that should be the case if it doesn’t have a remote and has a pull string for speed.

2 Likes

Hi Sal!
The key is that the fan and light both can be driven by 120v without any built in intelligent stuff or remote control.
On a purely technical side, that means a. the motor must be 120v, not DC, b. the motor must support 3 speed control, and c. the light must be 120v, not DC.

On an easier to read side- that means the light should use a standard screw-in light bulb or bulbs and have two wires (hot/load and neutral); the motor should have two wires (hot/load and neutral), plus some ground wire(s) maybe.

A fan that includes a remote control often is acceptable, the key is in the wiring diagram in the manual. It should have a section for how to wire to an existing 120v switch, or show connections from a built in controller module to the motor/light itself.

As @harjms said, a fan with dumb switches or pull strings is the best way to go.

1 Like

Ok thanks!

I have no clue what this means but I will call the fan vendors to ask them this. Its a good start.

Thanks

Sal

You can always post links to potential fans here. Particularly if you are buying from a big box store, there is a good possibility that someone may have the same fan and can comment.

Thanks Bry, I will do that

Sal

This was one product I was looking at:

If anyone has some manufacturer that is likely to have compatible fans I would start looking there as well

Thanks

Sal

That one doesn’t look promising. Notice on Page 5 it shows all the wiring going into a box with DIP switches (the fan’s built in controller). It says nothing about the wiring from the controller to the fan.

@sal.occhipinti - Out of the box, no this fan will not work. It has an integrated controller already.

Thank you

Yep, that one pretty much has everything @harjms and @Chris said it shouldn’t have and doesn’t have anything they said it should have. :thinking:

While there are some fans with remotes that MAY be compatible with some user engineering, it’s probably best for you to disregard any fan that has a remote control.

Thanks

what about this, it has wiring for dual switches, is that what I am looking for?

Sal

https://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/HunterFan/3640-01pdf

Thanks

Having a hard time finding something without a remote, looks like most fans today now have them.

I’ll go visit a local store but I think I may give up on this project.

Thanks

It’s possible to rewire it, but it’ll be much easier finding a fan with pull chains. If you find one with an integrated light, you may just need to install a bypass to keep it from being dim when off.

I wouldn’t give up. Plenty of fan stores online.

Try something like this:

It has a remote. But look on Page 6 of the manual- it talks about wiring a remote receiver in to the top of the fan.
That means if you take the included remote and receiver and set them aside, and instead use your Inovelli kit, you should be good to go.

You can also use any fan with a pull chain.

1 Like

Thanks Chris. I see, so basically instead of using the receiver that comes with the fan I would use the innvollli canope receiver instead?

Thanks

Sal

1 Like

Correct. If you can find a fan that has a kit like this then you’d replace their remote kit with Inovellis kit.

Correct. You would simply use the Inovelli receiver in place of the one that came with the fan:

Keep in mind that the fan speeds are determined by the canopy module though. This model is listed as a 4-speed, but it would become a 3-speed if you install the Inovelli canopy module.