LZW36 Fan/Light Switch Canopy Module Disconnection Issues

My canopy that has been giving me trouble has been solid now for close to 72 hours with power monitoring off. I’m going to turn it back on and will report back if/when it disconnects.

2 Likes
  • What Fan (Make/Model) do you have? This is important.
    Hunter 28642 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hunter-60-in-Regalia-New-Bronze-Indoor-Ceiling-Fan-with-Light-Kit/3124925
  • Does your fan have pull-chains or is it remote operated? (If pull-chain, make sure to set it to high)
    Pull Chains in High Setting
  • What wiring schematic are you following? Schematics can be found here:
    Power Goes into Switch Box
  • How far from the canopy module is your switch?
    8’ (I also had the antenna hanging out not on purpose)
  • What is the estimated temperature in your house?
    We keep it at 72, but it is vaulted Ceiling, so might be a few degrees higher.
  • Can you give pics of the canopy installation (show how it’s sitting in the canopy and how it’s wired?
    Yes
  • Do you have any access points near the fan?
    Yes, almost directly below it in the basement in the rafters
  • Would you consider your 2.4 GHz network large or overworked?
    No, I only have eight devices on it, that will not connect to the 5GHz, because they don’t have an antenna for it.

I did install it late, because I was on vacation when it came, it was working great at first, but now it doesn’t want to respond, it is intermediate. Sometimes it responds, other times it doesn’t. I tried the Air Gap thing to get it to reconnect, and that did not work.

One thing I did notice, it was not working when I went to get this picture for you guys, and then all of a sudden with the canopy off I hit the switch and it started working again. I am going to try to keep the Canopy off somehow to see if that is really what is causing my issue. (It is a metal Canopy)

I will let you know in a few days if I am having any issues without the Canopy off it. (I will need to put it back on at some point…)

@Eric_Inovelli The canopy disconnected overnight. I had changed the switch to the default Power Metering setting at 8pm last night. It was still working when I went to bed around 11pm. However, when I woke up this morning it was disconnected. Pulling the air gap reconnected to the canopy.

Default Power Meter Settings:

I have now reverted back to 0 for all power metering.

Recap: Canopy stayed connected for 3 days with power metering disabled (set to 0). Changed the power metering back to default and it disconnected in less than 12 hours.

Happy to test anything else!

2 Likes

Very interesting – ok, and can you remind me what fan this was? The space one or the chandelier? I wanted to pick up the exact same model, but looks like they don’t sell the space one any more :frowning:

Thanks for reporting back – I guess it’s safe to say something is up with the energy monitoring. If you change the Active Power & Energy Reports to 20% (and work your way up until it stops freezing hopefully?), maybe that will help? One of our working theories is that maybe there are some fans that have a more active energy/power change which is causing things to overload.

Lucky for you it is a new one I installed last week that is cheaper than the other 2. :wink: I bought the Ceiling Fan Only version at $79.97

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Holly-Springs-52-in-LED-Indoor-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-Ceiling-Fan-with-Light-Kit-57261/300654346

I talk about the install process on this post from above about halfway through.

Good Idea on the slowly increasing the power reporting. I can give that a try.

This makes sense. Typically I have the fan set to Medium (66%) or High (100%) since the room is upstairs and a little stuffy in the summer. The fan is rarely off.

1 Like

YES!! Going to pick it up this morning. Thanks!

2 Likes

Awesome! It’s a pretty nice fan overall. This is actually my second. I have a second one installed in my Master Bedroom. That room actually has 12/3 wiring with the red wire for the ceiling fan. For that fan I have an Inovelli Red Dimmer for the lights and a GE Fan Control Switch for the fan. Let me know if you want me to beta test your Fan Switch in the future… :wink:

Ok. I restored the power monitoring defaults yesterday at 10:43a eastern. It’s 11:54a the next day and I just tested it and I’m still live. I gave it an above normal load of commands both from the physical switch and from the hub and it kept up. I will try to overload and really flood it later and report back. Again, I am trapping logs, but it isn’t showing anything of value.

1 Like

I’m now over 72 hours with power monitoring disabled and my switches are still connected. I did have a lengthy power outage (8+ hours) in the middle of this test due to some storm damage, but the switches have not exhibited one problem since deploying the power monitoring disabling.

1 Like

One more update … still haven’t changed any of the stock settings (power monitoring still enabled), still using raw line power, and haven’t shielded the switch from any 2.4Ghz signal… and the most recent link lasted roughly 52 hours before failing. :thinking:

1 Like

Curious…I have not installed mine yet…but since the issue leans towards the power reporting…does breeze-mode in-part create the issue because of the constantly varying power draw due to speed? How might one mitigate or disable power reporting only when in breeze mode of that were the case?

1 Like

I doubt breeze mode could be it because I have not used breeze mode on mine. It was having the problem often (every day) but I am now on day 3 with power monitoring off and it still works fine otherwise.

2 Likes

Same, I’ve never once used breeze mode and had connection issues until turning off all power monitoring.

2 Likes

I changed the power reporting to 20% and it has been connected for 24 hours. As stated before, my canopy typically disconnects within 2 to 12 hours (max).

I will next enable the Periodic Power & Energy Reports to default of 3600 seconds to send an update every hour and see if it still stays connected.

This could definitely make sense if the fan is crazy with power and flooding the switch with power messages. However, I have seen the canopy disconnect while the fan and light are both off. In that scenario, I would assume power consumption is near 0?

1 Like

This makes sense if it’s in the canopy’s logic to decide when to send updates and I’d like to try and test it, however, I never saw an answer to the question. …

1 Like

I have noticed most of my disconnections in the morning when I first come in to the room with the fan and attempt to turn on the fan, light, or both and nothing happened. So they had been off all night long with no activity and no power consumption (besides what the module and switch themselves use).

2 Likes

@Hoveeman – I’ve been running that Home Depot fan all day with no issues with Power Monitoring on (so about 6.5hrs so far – plus I had it going for 2hrs yesterday).

I’m honestly stumped at what could be happening here. It’s a weird data point that energy monitoring being turned off works great, but once it’s back on, it immediately acts up. There have been others that are reporting that turning energy monitoring off made no difference, or that it helped a bit, but still had freezing issues.

I’m wondering if we should just start collecting these units and put them through our own testing to see if we can replicate as none of us (testing at 5 different locations with over 30 different switches) are experiencing the disconnect issues :frowning:

@JasonL_Inovelli – do you know the answer to this?

Thanks for testing with my specific fan!

Let me know, and I can get it shipped out to you.

So after 3 days out of the three fans I had working, only one is still working. The second one disconnected today at some point. I have 1 fan that has never stopped working and two that are always disconnecting. Not to mention, two of the fans are identical and in the same room. One works, one doesnt. Im leaning towards bad hardware unfortunately.

I ordered 5 switches but was only able to install 3 so Im going to try and swap these two out today and see how I go.

And the new switch wasnt paired with the module out of the box. Nor will it pair. Lights keep flashing and the switch keeps turning red.

Edit: I cannot get this module to pair with the switch at all. Tried 4 different times, failed each time. Unfortunately I am going to have to uninstall all of these switches and send them back. Was really hoping this would fill the last gap in my home automation system.

I’ll check back in 6 months and see if the issues have been sorted out.

1 Like