LZW36 LED Bulb does not turn off completely

I have a Fanimation AireDrop fan with an integrated light kit that stays very dimly lit when the switch is “off”. I noticed that there is still 1W of power being shown in the “off” state, is this expected? Anyone else with a light kit notice anything similar?

1 Like

Same issue here using a Hunter Regalia II.
It has 3 6.5w led E26 bulbs.

It’s very very dim, only noticable in a dark room (like when I’m trying to sleep)

I had this issue with my HomeDepot fan that had a 9w LED bulb (most likely not dimmable)

Swapped it out for a GE 8.5 watt Dimmable Relax bulb and the issue went away.

Yeah it seems it depends on the bulb, unfortunately my fan doesn’t use standard bulbs, but what is called a “light engine”. I seem to be more limited in my options.

Yeah I have the same issue with my Fanimation fan as well. and since its an integrated LED module theres no way to replace the bulb.

So I haven’t been able to find any other bulbs that might be able to fit, I ordered one from Amazon to try but I didn’t realize it had 4 screw holes and not 3.

I did buy these Aeotec bypasses and installed one, and it is working. Not sure if I can post a link:

The light is completely off now. Unfortunately it’s another ~15 per fan for this bypass, but I don’t see any other way.

You’ll need to strip both connections for the light, the one attached to the fan, and to the light itself and connect the bypass there. I bought these to make the connection easier but they are kinda annoying to use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KT91OEW
I’ll add a picture later.

I was thinking that a bypass might solve this issue. But for others, can you clarify how you wired it?

I believe it should go between the switched lead to the light and the neutral. You posted “the one attached to the fan” as one of the connections.

I knew when I wrote it, it was probably not clear. Here are some pictures, hope they make sense:
These are the wires coming from the fan housing for the light:

And here they are connected to the light kit itself:

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Yep, thanks. So for those trying the bypass it goes between the neutral and the switched hot lead for the light (which is typically but not always the BLUE lead).

I can draw a diagram up and put it in the KB for future reference – can you give me a quick sketch for reference?

Thanks @markruppel for posting!

@Eric_Inovelli Yep. I’ll PM it.

B.

1 Like

I’m having a ton of issues with my installation, but I’m trying to go after the low hanging fruit first. My bulb doesn’t stay on, but it flashes rapidly when I set it to off. I’m guessing it’s probably caused by the same thing (the control leaks a small amount of current when off).

The good news is that my fan uses a single standard bulb, so I probably have more options than some of you. So, has anyone found an LED bulb that works ok? I’m thinking a soft white in a 75w or 100w equivalent since with the dimmer I no longer have to worry about it being too bright.

I swapped out mine to GE Relax 4-Pack 60 W Equivalent… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HDJGFN2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Ok, I’m an idiot. I have two boxes of Ecosmart bulbs from HD. The 40w ones are dimmable but the 60w aren’t. I popped in one of the 40w ones now and it works fine. I don’t know why I bought non-dimmable since I have dimmers everywhere, but now I’m going to get some higher wattage dimmable ones and I expect they’ll be fine also.