LZW36 periodically dropping off the zwave network

Hi all,
I have been having an issue for a while (I think since I put it in a few months ago TBH) where the one LZW36 switch I have seems to periodically drop off and reconnect to the network and I think it’s impacting the performance of the rest of the network. I don’t see any other devices with such slow responses, so I think the culprit must be this switch. In my openHAB log, I will see this:

2021-10-20 10:57:11.561 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'zwave:device:358c88aabd:node31' changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller
2021-10-20 10:57:12.748 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'zwave:device:358c88aabd:node31' changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller to ONLINE
2021-10-20 10:57:37.240 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'zwave:device:358c88aabd:node31' changed from ONLINE to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller
2021-10-20 10:57:44.534 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'zwave:device:358c88aabd:node31' changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller to ONLINE

and around for a full minute, i’ll see NO ACK messages like this in my zwave debug log from anywhere up to around 9300ms.

Does anyone know what could be going on and what I might do to fix it? I already excluded/re-included and power cycled it. I have a full debug log here ( LZW36 ZWave Log - Pastebin.com) if anyone wants to see it. It makes it easier to read if you plug it into the log viewer at Z-Wave Log Viewer (opensmarthouse.org)

Have you tried a network heal, and is it routing through other devices?

I have nightly heals still turned on so definitely that’s happening, but it is routing through a handful of other devices. None of those devices seem to be exhibiting any issues but I guess I need to see if I can move my setup closer and see if that can get it talking directly to eliminate that possibility

So I tried moving my setup to a few different areas including basically right next to the LZW36 and still have issues even after a heal, although maybe not quite as often. Looking at my topology map, it seems that only a few devices have direct communication with the zwave stick which doesn’t make sense to me since every switch in my house is zwave and almost all are within 20 feet of the stick so I don’t see any reason why they won’t talk direct - it’s just your standard wood stick and drywall single story with not a whole lot in the walls since all the ductwork is in the ceiling and plumbing is in the floor. Even when I had the LZW36 like 5 feet from my setup it still insisted it couldn’t connect directly on the topology map for some reason. There must be something else going on with this like I have another device that’s not playing right but damned if I know what it would be. I’ve already started over once and didn’t include any of my battery operated stuff to eliminate that. I did find a network health check in the silicon labs zwave pc controller software but that tells me everything should be working great so I don’t really know what to look at.

So I bit the bullet and did a hard reset on my zwave stick, put my openhab setup plugged in within about 6 feet of this switch and tried re-including just that one device and I’m getting timeouts like this.

There is literally nothing else on this network now so I don’t know what to think. Do I have a bad unit? I also tried to restart the switch via the air gap and this is a brand new Aeotec stick so I suspect that wouldn’t be the issue but maybe?

1 Like