Need help - Having trouble with switches and dimmers with Honeywell Vista Devices/Hubs

Has anyone been able to make Inovelli switches work with ADC-SEM210 or even the Honeywell Tuxedo Touch WiFi? I can get them to add, but they never really work right. They don’t report status back consistently, and if I connect them in concert with the SmartThings, they are terrible. I really need to get this to work.

With the Tuxedo they work for about an hour and then they stop working. I have two Zooz switches that continue to work though.

With the ADC-SEM210, they connect, but I have to pair each one twice. Then sometimes when you try to turn something on you need to turn it on twice. If it does turn on, it doesn’t always report back.

1 Like

I had never heard of the ADC-SEM210, but it looks like a home alarm system that uses Verizon’s network to connect to the internet and is capable of creating a zwave network for local devices to attach to? Is that correct? The Honeywell looks like another device that creates a zwave network as well that you can control zwave devices from? Any idea if either device accepts custom device handlers? You mention smartthings, do the inovelli devices connect directly to that hub, with the handlers code installed? Sorry, lots of questions just making sure I understand your setup/needs

Questions are good. I started to include information like this but then the post gets TL;DR, so I figured I would wait an answer what was needed. Your understanding is correct. The Tuxedo Touch WiFi is an interface/keypad for the Honeywell Vista 20p Alarm panel. It is used for arming and disarming of the alarm. But it also has a z-wave controller built in (standard, not z-wave plus). It can function like a tablet z-wave controller even when not connected to the Vista 20p alarm panel. When I tried to make it work, it gave me all sorts of problems, specifically with the Inovelli lights and the Kwikset locks (newer z-wave plus locks). However, the thermostat and the Zooz lights seemed to work fine. I could join it to the SmartThings but the two did not seem to play well together, and about an hour later, it would just stop controlling the Inovellis and locks altogether. So I decided to just use it as a keypad, and not use the z-wave functionality in it. I ordered the ADC SEM210 to use as my dual path communicator to Alarm.com. It has a z-wave+ controller built in although no local GUI. There is a program button that leads to a very un-intuitive LED (I can’t find documentation anywhere - I might try to ssh into the SEM210 later, but I doubt it will let me in). When you add devices to it, they show up on Alarm.com and are controllable. Although I could not easily join it to the SmartThings. I eventually figured it out by setting the join/leave existing network option on the Samsung IDE website. Of course if you have devices in SmartThings they disappear and do not show up on the SEM210. So you need to add the z-wave devices to the SEM210, and then they propagate to the SmartThings (It gets really tiresome when you have ~30 things that you create scenes for etc., and they keep deleting from your controller). However, adding the Inovelli lights to the SEM210 is challenging. It takes for ever and you have to add each one twice before they show up and work. Each light switch takes 10-15 minutes to install. The light show on the switches is strange when adding them to the SEM210 also. Not like SmartThings or Hubitat. My guess is it is because of the security built into the Inovelli switches. The door locks and Zooz switches seemed to add just fine. Unfortunately, AFAIK you can not put a device handler on either the Tuxedo Touch or the SEM210. This is going to have to be fixed on Inovelli’s side if it is going to work, I think. I don’t see Honeywell being real receptive to addressing this problem. I really need to be able to control my z-wave stuff from the alarm too. A lot of my best programming and automation is based on alarm states.

I can’t be the only person to try to connect Inovelli switches to Honeywell controllers, can I?

Thanks,
Josh

With regard to the Red Switches (not the dimmers), when I add them to the SEM210, they show up on Alarm.com, but they do not respond to commands. And an error pops up.

I completely understand the pain of switching all your devices to a new hub as I’m in the process myself right now going from Smartthings to Hubitat. As far as you being the only person to connect Inovelli to Honeywell, I haven’t read every post but I don’t recall seeing anyone else posting about a Honeywell controller (a quick search only turned up your post from November). I’ve seen Vera Plus users had issues and Inovelli staff has stated they are waiting for Vera to fix it on their end.

I wonder if you could disable the security protocol on the switch and that might work? I’m looking over the manual and not seeing any button presses to manually set the security to off though. Sadly I don’t think you will ever get any sort of notifications with that controller for the LED bar even if you do get it paired. The LED bar being as custom component that requires custom handlers is why Wink users are SOL.

I just stubbled across your post on the smartthings forum asking about pairing the SEM to smartthings, definitely doesn’t appear to be much in the way of support there. So does the Tuxedo and SEM play nice with each other? Also, is your end goal is to eliminate smartthings and convert over to the SEM?

I had a SmartThings v2 in our previous house, and when we moved into this house I made sure to only get Z-wave + devices, and started with the Hubitat. Unfortunately, it just has too many incompatibilities. I am back on the SmartThings now. Honestly, I kind of think home automation is going to die, because nothing follows standards.

My end goal is to have the z-wave devices available to and controlled by both the alarm system and the SmartThings. I have routines in each that are important. For example, when my living room TV is on, SmartThings turns off my bar lights that create glare on my TV. It is also the controller that interacts with Alexa for voice control.

The alarm only controls z-wave and offers integration between alarm components and z-wave devices (but not wifi or zigbee devices). When I use the Keyfob to disarm the alarm and open the front door, it unlocks the front door, and turns on the appropriate lights for entry to the house. A different button on the Keyfob also disarms the alarm, but it opens one of the garage doors and turns on those lights instead of the front door. A third button on the keyfob does the same but opens the second garage door instead. And so on. So, the two different controllers serve similar purposes but with completely different functions.

I agree the current state of most smart homes is chaos when it comes to full compatibility for all devices. I’ve bounced between Smartthings, Hubitat, and Home Assistant over the last 12 months. Each has pros and cons for meeting my personal needs. I also feel like I’ve spent the last 12 months waiting for different pieces of technology to be released, these switches included.

It sucks that you need two different controllers to accomplish your desired setup. Inovelli is working a firmware update for their switches. Scott mentioned he is testing it currently but hopefully once done it will resolve some of the connection issues Vera user and you are having (assuming there is an issue on the switch). Sadly updating the firmware may be another complication since Smartthings doesn’t support firmware updates from what I’ve read.

Can you do a firmware update with the Hubitat? How can you check what firmware you are on with either ST or HE?

I “think” I read that firmware can be upgraded with Hubitat. I have usb z-wave stick from my HA setup that I’m planning to use to upgrade, hopefully. Inovelli has firmware upgrade instructions here https://support.inovelli.com/portal/kb/articles/how-to-s-general-how-to-update-firmware-z-stick-z-wave-pc-controller. I haven’t done a ton of research as I’m waiting for the new firmware to be released and to see what changes it includes.

How do I get someone from Inovelli to read this post?

@Eric_Inovelli @anon64478871

Hey @gijosh28 - what can I help with? I’m having a tough time following this thread tbh.

We haven’t texted our switches on Honeywell Tuxedo, so I’m afraid I can’t offer too much assistance here.

Hi @Eric_Inovelli,

I am currently using a SmartThings. I have a Hubitat that I can plug in if it is the only way to see firmware versions or update firmware versions.

List of questions:

1. How do I see what firmware version I am running?
  2. How do I upload a new firmware version? Can I do it with SmartThings? If not can I do it with a Hubitat? If not can I do it with a super old original Aeon Labs Z-stick?
  3. How do I join a light switch to a controller without using S2?
  4. Has anyone made a Red Dimmer or a Red Switch work with one of the ADC SEM210 (or SEM110)?
    • I really think this is a problem with the switch because once I join it to the either of these Honeywell Devices, and the Honeywell device is joined to a secondary controller like the SmartThings, things work sporadically. For example, they stop reporting statuses, they take forever to turn on or off, and in some cases they just stop working altogether.
  5. Is there a new firmware version on the horizon that addresses a similar issue in controllers like the Vera?
  6. Any chance you’re going to buy an ADC SEM210 to test with your switches? Tuxedo WiFi? I really like your switches, but I absolutely need this to work. The switches work well enough when I connect them to the Hubitat or the Smartthings alone. Is there something I can do with my equipment that can give you data to help me troubleshoot the problem?

To be clear, let me outline my current issues (I am going to disregard other equipment, because frankly if I can get any combination of this working, I will be fine). I have a SmartThings and an ADC SEM210. The instructions on the SEM210 say to press the z-wave button, and the LED will start blinking 4 times. This means it is ready to join a z-wave device to it’s network. If I add the Zooz, the Kwikset, or the Thermostat, they usually join without an issue. If I click the button on an Inovelli Dimmer three times, the LED begins to pulse. A minute later it goes solid blue for about 2 seconds, then goes back to pulsing. Meanwhile the SEM210 switches to 1 or 3 blinks (no idea what that means) and eventually stops blinking. Back at the Inovelli, it evetually flashes red on the led, and then stops. Now, the SEM210 will not respond to pressing the z-wave button for about 3 minutes. When it does finally start responding to the button, it flashes the LED 6 times. Then if I press the button on the Inovelli three times again, it pulses for about 3 seconds, and then goes green. Back on the SEM210 the LED flashes 1 or 3 blinks for a few minutes and eventually stops. 1 to 5 minutes later, the Inovelli dimmer shows up on Alarm.com and it can be named and controlled.
If you do all of this with a non-dimming red switch, everything is the same, except that pushing on or off on the alarm.com website does nothing. The switch looks like it was added, but it simply can not be controlled. The dimmer statuses are somewhat accurate on the Alarm.com website (though not nearly as accurate and lightning fast as on the SmartThings or the Hubitat alone).
If you then share the devices from the SEM210 to the SmartThings (Click Leave/Join existing Z-wave network on the Samsung IDE page, then click the z-wave button on the SEM210), the devices show up on the SmartThings. Dimmers mostly work, although sometimes it takes minutes for a light to respond, and status just are not updated. Non-dimming switches still do not work despite being shared from the SEM to the SmartThings.
All of this trouble is only with the Inovelli switches. The rest of my devices seem to work normally. What troubleshooting can I do, or data can I provide to you?

If you think it will help I can video tape this.

Thanks,
Josh

Whew, putting me to work! Let me answer some of these now and then come back and edit as I think some is above my technical expertise.

As luck would have it, I just wrote about this in our Knowledge Base for SmartThings:

https://support.inovelli.com/portal/kb/articles/how-to-find-your-device-info-for-troubleshooting-smartthings#Finding_Your_Device_Information

On that screenshot, you’ll see a section that says, “Raw Data”. Look for where it says, “Ver” and there’s where you’ll find your Firmware Version.

You cannot do this with ST. I’ve heard thru the grapevine that @bcopeland created something for Hubitat that allows Z-Wave OTA, but I may have been dreaming.

You should be able to do it via your Aeon Stick tho. I just uploaded these instructions too:
https://support.inovelli.com/portal/kb/articles/how-to-s-general-how-to-update-firmware-z-stick-z-wave-pc-controller

This I’m not 100% sure on. There’s no way to do this via the switch itself, so it’ll have to be done via your Hub. ST does not support S2 (yet), so it will automatically join without it.

Hubitat, I’m not sure on, but I’m sure @EricM_Inovelli or @anon64478871 can help here as they’re more familiar with the platform.

I had to Google what ADC SEM210/110 was as I’ve never heard of it :sleepy:

Full transparency, you’re talking to a marketing guy who enjoys tech. I really don’t know what I’m looking at here. I went through a few pages and still have no clue what this is lol.

@EricM_Inovelli bail me out here!

What issue are you referencing? We are finalizing Dimmer Firmware right now (just received a modified version and we’re testing). On/Off will be completed shortly after.

Vera’s issue was more on their platform. We’re waiting on Ezlo to fix the issue. Hopefully soon.

In all honestly, likely not. There’s only 7 of us here and there are a million of other priorities at this point. Sorry to be blunt, as I really wish we could help, but we’re a smaller startup that doesn’t have the bandwidth right now.

For my understanding (again, I’m not super technical, so bear with me) is there something wrong with just using ST or Hubitat?

I know @anon14959390 has been working with Alarm.com to get our devices certified so maybe that’s the issue here, I’m not entirely sure.

A couple of questions for you:

• What Zooz model(s) are you using?
  • What’s the relation between the SEM models and Honeywell Tuxedo? This is where I’m getting confused.
  • What all are you trying to accomplish with this setup vs just using ST or Hubitat?

Hang in there, we’ll figure it out!

This answer provides a modicum of hope. The SEM210 is a communicator for use with Alarm.com and Alarm.com’s ability to use z-wave devices. So if @anon14959390 is working on getting certified, part of this process will be making your devices work with the SEM210. I need this as soon as possible. @anon14959390, I have a SEM210, an Alarm.com account, and 15 of your devices. What can I do to help?

@Eric_Inovelli, Answers to your questions:

• What Zooz model(s) are you using?

Zen24 Toggle Dimmer

• What’s the relation between the SEM models and Honeywell Tuxedo? This is where I’m getting confused.

There is no relationship between them. If you think about Z-wave from the controller perspective, there is a back-end and a front-end. The back-end is the hardware and the communication between the devices. The front-end is the software that controls the devices (on, off, etc.) and the scenes, routines, automations, etc. (On the OSI model the backend would be layers 4 and below, and the front end would be layers 5 and above).

So on the SEM210, the backend exists in the SEM210 (connect to devices, develop mesh network, send the on/off commands, etc.), however, the front end exists on Alarm.com. It is an aaS (As a Service - would that make it AaaS - Automation as a Service?).

The Honeywell Alarms were not originally designed to work with Alarm.com. Honeywell wants you to use their portal (Total Connect 2.0). Their system puts the z-wave controller local to the Alarm (built into the Tuxedo Touch Wifi). The Tuxedo Touch Wifi is both the backend connecting all the hardware, and the front end, where you command the devices, and built them into scenes and routines. The Tuxedo serves two functions. It is a keypad to arm/disarm the alarm, and a z-wave controller. You still need to add a separate communicator to the Alarm so it can communicate to Total Connect 2.0 (the web interface).

I originally just wanted to use the Tuxedo, and Total Connect. Unfortunately, the Tuxedo gave me a bunch of problems (similar to what I am seeing with the SEM210). I thought it was because the Tuxedo was not a Z-wave plus controller, and it was an older controller. So, I decided take the z-wave devices out of the Tuxedo (just use the Tuxedo as a keypad) and replace the standard Total Connect communicator with the SEM210. The SEM210 is a communicator with z-wave plus hardware built in.

• What all are you trying to accomplish with this setup vs just using ST or Hubitat?

The Alarm can manipulate z-wave devices, but not wifi devices or zigbee devices or RF devices, etc. This is ok, because most of what I want to run with arms and disarms are z-wave devices. I will give some examples in a minute. The SmartThings/Hubitat can control everything else (RF gets controlled with a Logitech Harmony, but that is controlled by the SmartThings/Hubitat) (The SmartThings/Hubitat also allow for voice control of everything through Echos).

The alarm is controlled using key fobs that look very similar to your car’s key fob.
Alarm%20FOB%20-%20Big%20Labels%203%20-%20Cropped
My z-wave routines look a little something like this:

Arm Away Button: Sets the alarm to away, turns off all the lights, locks all the doors, ensures the garage doors are closed, sets the thermostat to 60-80.

Arm Stay Button: Sets the alarm to arm stay, makes sure the garage doors are closed and locks the doors.

Disarm: Disarms the alarm, unlocks the front door, turns on front porch lights and some inside lights, sets the thermostat to 70-74.

Arm Away + Arm Stay: Disarms the alarm, opens Garage Door 1, unlocks Garage Access Door Lock, turns on garage lights and interior lights, sets thermostat to 70-74

Disarm + Emergency: Disarms the alarm, opens Garage Door 2, unlocks Garage Access Door Lock, turns on garage lights and interior lights, sets thermostat to 70-74

Arm Away + Disarm: Sets the alarm to arm stay, closes garage doors, locks door locks, and turns off all the lights.

When the Alarm controls the z-wave devices it can control the devices (for automation) based on conditions of the alarm equipment. Each button of that keyfob is a different “zone” that triggers a routine, and with the combination buttons that makes for a total of 8 buttons per keyfob.

Here is where the gap exists. There IS a device called an Envisalink that can inform SmartThings/Hubitat when the alarm is “Armed Stay, Armed Away, or Disarmed.” However, it is limited to those conditions. It does not report the zones of the key fobs. So, using the SmartThings/Hubitat to exclusively handle automation, I could write automation for Arm Stay, Arm Away, and Disarm. However, because I can’t inform the SmartThings/Hubitat about which button was pressed, there is no way to disarm the alarm, with Garage Door 1 access, or Garage Door 2 access, using the different keyfob buttons.

I know that was a long answer, but now you have the complete picture (and can see why I NEED this to work).

I’ll jump in to see if I can add anything. Based on what you have reported with the odd pairing behavior it seems like there may be some security (S2 or S0) failure that is occurring. It looks like the Zooz doesn’t support S2 so my bet is on that being the problem.

The way you disable S2 is usually done through the hub. Most hubs have a way to do a non-secure inclusion, but SmartThings doesn’t. Hubitat, by default, is not supposed to add switches securely. You can make sure by going into the Z-Wave settings and choosing “Secure Join: Locks / Garage Doors”.

I would suggest that you use Hubitat as your secondary controller if possible and do the device inclusion from it. It should notify the Alarm.com panel of the inclusion so it will show up in its list of devices. Also, the device will not be included securely. Of course this is speculation based on my experience in the past and with other setups.

To get status updates on both controllers, you will need to make sure that the nodeId of both controllers is in association group 1 for the switch. Usually the main controller’s id gets added but not the secondary so you will have to do that manually.

1 Like