New Hubitat C-7 and inclusion problems

Seeing some unknown nodes on my C7. Are these ghost nodes? They don’t show up under devices list. I suppose they are remnants of inclusion issues I was having with LZW30 switches. What would happen if I hit remove on them? Will they become even more of a ghost node O_O

I ran multiple zwave repairs but they aren’t going away

6 Likes

@EricM_Inovelli - I see Aug 5 Hubitat drivers were updated to support S2. All ready to push for production? I’d like to switch from Hubitat’s drivers.

I’ve only tested them in a limited capacity but they worked fine for me.

1 Like

In testing the Fan/Light Driver I am seeing and error in the Hubitat log…

Thanks, this should be fixed.

Over here, @bcopeland says that my LZW30-SN, LZW31-SN, and LZW36 switches are failing to SmartStart on the Hubitat platform because they are failing the S2 bootstrapping.

Can someone from dev please comment?

LZW31-SN failed bootstrapping in my testing on the reference Z-Wave platform with reference z-wave chipset firmware… Now I have heard some have gotten this to work… so this may be specific to certain dimmer firmware versions… What we have done is to handle the failure gracefully and allow discovery to happen… But what does not and will not work is smart start as this requires S2 bootstrapping.

My 2 initial test LZW31-SN units are running 1.47 beta firmware.

I am still curious why a reboot allowed for the discovery, but as I do want S2 I am becoming resigned to not using SmartStart unless there is a fix in the next day or so.

I should be explicit and say that I (and others on that thread) have not been able to get them to pair with S2. Running the Hubitat 2.2.3 software, when requesting S2 grants at inclusion time, they get included with no security. This is of course without SmartStart.

I have two new C7 Hubitat units in the unopened mail that are waiting for me too. I don’t want to even start working with them until I can join devices in whichever way I want. So, I too wait for a solution that allows me to use S2 if I prefer. I am not a fan of band-aids and prefer waiting instead. Hopefully things will resolve soon. We are very lucky to have @bcopeland on the staff of Hubitat now. He knows how to do things right and has many Inovelli products as well. He will be an advocate regardless and while he can program around certain issues that come up, he has always tried to maximize all features in his drivers etc. I just need an honest dialog between everyone. I am sure the Inovelli side is covered by staff here too so there will be a solution after the initial finger pointing is figured out. I believe everyone is ultimately on the same team in the end.

-Travis

2 Likes

Hey @bcopeland – what exactly does this mean for the non-techies (ie: me)? We don’t have these issues with SmartThings (to my knowledge – the devices show up as S2 Authenticated), so I’m curious what we can do to make it work correctly on Hubitat.

Tagging @EricM_Inovelli for visibility.

I know our products are certified SmartStart enabled by the Z-Wave Alliance, so hopefully we can figure out why it’s failing on Hubitat.

I agree – very lucky to have him!

I just installed a C7 in my house and am excited to get these up and running this weekend!

1 Like

2 hours ago I would have said “this means that none of the switches will get included with S2, and none of them will work with SmartStart.” But, for reasons I cannot comprehend, I was finally able to add one LZW30-SN and one LZW31-SN with S2, just now. But mostly S2 is still failing on Hubitat, and typically I don’t even get the DSK prompt (though sometimes I do and still don’t get S2).

Note the limited set of capabilities listed for the S2-authenticated switches. They seem to work anyway?

1 Like

I am having a similar experience. I got my red switch to pair with S2 (but not via smart start) but my Red Dimmers are not able to pair with S2.

@dterada @datavortex are you guys using the latest Hubitat firmware (2.2.3). They have fixed many of the Z-wave inclusion issues.

Make sure you follow the directions on installing the firmware because it is different this time. You need to go into the Z-wave settings and update the Z-wave radio firmware after the hub update is finished. Some instructions taken from the Hubitat community:

*** Important Please Read ***

C-7 hubs are receiving major Z-Wave updates with this release and require some user intervention to complete the process.

Part 1 of the update will happen automatically during startup. There may be an automatic reboot during first startup on 2.2.3.

Part 2 requires user intervention. Under settings and z-wave details you will see a new button “Firmware Update”. This will start the radio firmware update. FirmwareUpdateButtonCapture

FirmwareUpdate2Capture

Please note that the firmware update takes roughly 10 minutes to complete, please let this process complete fully before attempting to do anything. If you run into trouble please reach out on the community, we will be watching for people posting problems.

Once this is complete it is recommended to go through and remove any failed nodes from previous inclusion issues.

Yes I am using the new firmware and updated the z-wave firmware as well.

How are you initiating Smart Start from the C7?

I am not using smartstart. I was pairing from portal.hubitat

Hmmm, S2 inclusion with DSK seems to work on SmartThings. I’ll have our engineers check it out.

Edit: S2 inclusion also works with PC controller and the Ring hub. I’ll still bring it up with our team to see if there is something we can do on our side.