NZW30S - No LED signal while attempting to pair

I have a NZW30S switch that is not pairing properly. I have not been able to have it pair since I purchased it. Standard on and off works and x10 UP changes the LED status. However 6x Up or Down does not seem to effect the switch, no LED blink and nothing on my SmartThings.

I attempted to do a factory reset the instructions were not very clear. However I was able to get it to blink. Power off, Hold Down, apply power. After a 5 second count the LED blinked 2 of 3 times.

Still unable to pair.

Anyone have any idea’s?

I assume its on firmware 1.03 since the rest of the switches from that batch are on the same. I have no way to update it even if I had a dongle since it wont pair to anything.

Hey Cody - one thing you can try is auto-inclusion or exclusion first if it still doesn’t include.

For SmartThings, can you let me know the app you’re using and I’ll type out specific instructions for you?

@Eric_Inovelli
Hey! thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately I am still unable to get the switch into a pairing mode.

So I have a SmartThings v2 Hub. I launched the new SmartThings App (Not Classic). Went to the + → Device → Scan Nearby.

Once it was scanning for new devices, I plugged in the switch and waited about 30-60 seconds. Nothing showed up.

I currently have it rigged up on a bench top setup for easy testing. I was getting tired of running to the breaker :slight_smile:.

Just tried an exclude and auto-inclusion. I was watching live-logging and did not see any z-wave “beacons”.

Yeah no worries! Happy to help :slight_smile:

Ok in the new app, can you try the following:

• Remove power to the NZW30-S
  • In the ST App, click on the menu and select, “Devices”
  • Search for your Hub and select it
  • Then click on the menu and select, “Z-Wave Utilities”
  • Then click on, “Z-Wave Exclusion” and start the process
  • Now power up the switch and it should exclude (hopefully) - if not, press up 6x

Then to include:

• Remove power to your switch
  • Go back to the main menu and click the plus sign to add a new device
  • Then click, “Scan Nearby” and let the process start
  • Then restore power to the switch and it should auto-include (if not, press 6x)

Hopefully this works?

Can you restart the hub?

Follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the power and ethernet cables from the Hub
  2. Remove the 4 AA batteries (if installed)
  3. Wait 2-3 minutes
  4. Reinstall the batteries (optional but recommended)
  5. Reconnect the power and ethernet cables
  6. When the Hub is back online, its LED will turn solid green

I did a similar process but I started the exclude from the IDE. I am going to try again using your steps, however when pressing x6 in either direction I do not get any feedback from the switch. Normally on a working switch when I press x6 the LED on the switch pulses. This one that is not working just stays on solid LED when x6 in either direction.

Oh my mistake, its a v3 hub. Your batteries process confused me. I have to look up what one I had again, I thought I saw v2 in the IDE.

Interesting, yeah that’s strange. So does it control the physical light ok?

Lol my bad on the instructions - here’s the steps for v3:

1. Disconnect the power and ethernet cables from the Hub
  2. Wait 2-3 minutes
  3. Reconnect the power and ethernet cables
  4. When the Hub is back online, its LED will turn solid green

Keep me posted!

Yeah I stuck it in the walk in closet since it still functions as a switch. Now I am doing some renovating and was hoping to get this fixed. Waiting on the new batch of the Black Series On/Off in Canada.

I just moved the Hub to the same room, and still no effect. I think this switch just won’t go into a Join mode. Kind of at a loss now.

I mean my other 19 work with no issues. :wink:

Ok so I made some progress here. I think is an issue with SmartThings. Wondering if anyone else has seen this. I was able to get the switch in question above to work with Z-Wave PC Controller using a Zooz USB Stick.

I can include and exclude the switch with out any issues.

When I exclude it from Z-Wave PC Controller, then attempt to include it into SmartThings using Auto-Include or Manual Include it does nothing. I even factory reset my SmartThings v3 to try starting all over again… now none of my Z-Wave devices will include. This is not just Inovelli but also some Leviton Receptacles…

Has anyone seen this behavior before?

It’s possible the devices weren’t really excluded. Sometimes brand new devices have to be excluded as they weren’t properly done at the factory. I’d run a General Zwave Exclusion and exclude your devices manually then see if they add.

I actually had to preform the factory reset on the devices before they would include into the PC Controller. Are you saying SmartThings might be holding the old codes in the background even though the devices are deleted from the IDE and a Factory Reset on the hub has been done?

Either way. I just put my hub into exclude mode. Tapped Down x6 and it said an unknown device has been excluded from your hub.

Went to try and include again… no detection.

Yep, that’s what I was suggesting, so that’s not it.

1 Like

I had the exact same problem with my ST (V2) and never could solve it (tried Z-Wave Refresh, reset the hub, reset the switches, etc). Happened with all Z-Wave switches (I had HomeSeer, GE, Inovelli). I ended up moving to Hubitat (devices in question paired immediately), but I’d be curious if there’s a solve for this as I was somewhat sad leaving ST which has run my house for 3+ years.

Curious, how many Z-Wave devices do you have? I think I was around 40ish, but that’s far below the max.

@Eric_Inovelli

Yeah that has been tumbling around my brain the last couple weeks… They finally have stock on Amazon.ca again for the Hubitat. However at the same time I am also really curious what ST is going to do with Apple as I have heard some rumblings…

I had the following connected to ST
5 ST ZigBee (Buttons and Outlets) - These are all reconnected after factory reset
1 WeMo WiFi Outlet connected to ST. - This is reconnected after factory reset

2x Leveton In-Wall Outlets DZR15 - Unable to reconnect to ST
20x NZW30-S
1x LZW36
4x LZW31 (only one was previously connected)

I have maybe tried to bring 5-10 of the NZW30-S back online with ST with no luck. I have not tried to bring the 2nd gen back online yet.

The 5-10 that will not connect to ST all connect to my Zooz PC Controller.

I am starting to wonder if its an issue between ST and earlier versions of Z-Wave since its effecting other brands.

So quick update on this. After about 5 hours of messing around, I was finally able to get all my Z-Wave devices back online.

Not really sure whats going on but these were the steps I had to take. Every device was pretty much in a different state, but I finally came up with a process that worked every time.

Step 1: Remove all Device Handlers
Step 2: Preform Factory Reset (NZW30-S Remove Power, Hold UP, Apply Power, Count to 5ish Release UP the LED should flash)
Step 3: Put ST into Exclusion and Exclude the Device (NZW30-S - 6x Down)
Step 4: Put ST into Exclusion and Exclude the Device a second time. (It will succeed twice, 3rd time fails)
Step 5: Put ST into Inclusion and Include your device. (NZW30-S - 6x Up)
Step 6: Repeat 2-5 for each device
Step 7: Place your ST in its final place and run a Network Repair
Step 8: Re Add your Device Handlers, and assign each device the proper handler in ST IDE

For what ever reason a single exclusion was not working I had to do it twice on all devices. I also found some devices were out of range and I had to move the ST Hub around to get everything to exclude and include, once they were included the mesh worked fine after a repair when I was done.

I was having about 1 in 5 work with Device Handlers published.

Unfortunately in the end, I now have two switches with blown LED’s. Not sure what caused it but they do not blink on a factory reset, inclusion, exclusion or 10x UP. Its fully functioning just no indicator led any more.