NZW31 unreliable - new firmware?

I’ve several original (gen 1) dimmers. Most are still working perfectly. However I have one, which is on the edge of my zwave network, that periodically loses connection. The firmware on it is 1.03. Would a firmware upgrade provide any improvements? I cannot find the gen 1 firmware on the site. No release notes to research.

Thanks in advance!

dan

I don’t believe it’s possible for users to upgrade the gen 1 firmware (going off here). When you say edge of your zwave network, just the furthest device away? Possible to add something to the mesh in between maybe?

Interesting question on topology. It is the furthest device from the hub. With the current route, it traverses around the perimeter of my set of z-wave switches to get to the hub. The hub is actually in the center and is less than 10 feet from [dining] (also a NZW31). The other two devices in the route are gen 2 switches.

Raw Description zw:L type:1101 mfr:0312 prod:1F01 model:1F01 ver:1.03 zwv:4.61 lib:03 cc:5E,26,27,70,75,22,85,8E,59,55,86,72,5A,73,6C,7A

Current hub is ST, picked up a HE and am playing with migrating everything over. Not sure if my inconsistencies are devices, ST or apps. Google home will sometimes work where the ST app won’t even recognize the device as being online.

That unknown device is likely a ghost device, so the switch is trying to communicate through a device that doesn’t exist.

Do a Zwave repair and see what you get. Then remove the ghost devices you don’t recognize and repeat the Zwave repair.

1 Like

We do have firmware updates for Gen 1 but it will depend on the date code on the switch. No guarantee it will fix the problem with connectivity though, but you are welcome to give it a shot!

Can you let me know the 4 digit date code on the switch? It’s under the face plate on the bottom right I believe.

Hey Courtney,

The date code is 0418. It was exactly where you said.

I’ve been chasing the ghost devices. Unsure why they continue to pop up as I haven’t made any adds/removes or relocation changes for some time.

Yep. They just seem to show up. You’re not alone . . .

@Courtney_Inovelli - bump on this thread. Is there a firmware update for the switch?

Thanks
dan

Sorry! It’s hectic around here! I checked with Eric and unfortuantely there is no update after the 0418 version for the dimmer switch!

Yeah thought I’d pop in too – the ghost issue is likely one of the culprits that’s causing this.

The Gen 1’s also did not have as strong of an antenna design as Gen 2’s, which may be causing some of the issues. If you can get another Z-Wave device (non-battery) by it, that would probably help.

Thanks…

I will see about adding another device - or perhaps swap out this switch with a gen 2.

dan