On/Off Switch (Red Series) | Project Lights Out (v2.0)

@EricM_Inovelli thank you very much. I will try this once I’m home

+1 I have the similar Leviton paddle dimmers in some rooms and I, as well as others, have clicked the top of the light to turn them off or the bottom trying to turn them on. I now know which is which, but for guests in rooms that don’t have motion sensors, it can be confusing. I sort of see it as, why disregard an invalid press? If it’s on, it should go off and vice-versa.

Hey @Eric_Inovelli any word on when we might see a rev of the firmware that fixes the relay bug and introduces instant on (single-scene)? Love everything else about the switches, but these two things have me hesitating buying more just yet.

2 Likes

I have Home Assistant. How difficult will it be to update my switch firmware when a new version comes out?

1 Like

Man you guys are ruthless lol – we just got Dimmers out!

Kidding, the manufacturer just hired three more Z-Wave engineers so we’re letting them get their feet wet a bit before modifying the firmware.

Completely understand!

Shouldn’t be too hard, but I’ve actually never used HA, so hopefully someone can jump in here and explain. Basically, here’s how we do it at the office (although not with HA)

If you don’t have a HUB that supports OTA, you’ll have to buy a Z-Stick (zwave.me , Aeotec , etc), have a computer that runs Windows or Linux, and then download the Z-Wave Controller Software (free - but you have to register an account).

I’d love to be able to execute scenes from the aux switch. I know this obviously wouldn’t be possible with a dumb switch, but with an aux switch, if it’s possible to detect a tap and treat it the same way you would on the primary paddle, it’d be great to have an option to have the aux switch also be scene-capable.

I would really appreciate this feature too. I have it on my Homeseer switches and it’s really helpful. I was hoping to use your switches with an Aux switch for some stairway lights, but I don’t think I’m going to be able to now without that feature.
Since it sounds like a possibility to add this via firmware update, might it also be possible on the dimmers as well?

I recently received my first Red Series Dimmer (great switch, love not needing a neutral for places where I don’t have a neutral), but I can’t get the notification to work. I created a test event in Homeseer which I trigger manually. I’ve configured the event to send a value on Parameter 8. I used the web page which provides a value to use. So, I wanted to have the switch show red solid (33491457), but all I see is the blue showing me the currently lighting level. I configured the event to send the parameter to the switch and used the 4 byte size since the numeric value is too big for 2 bytes. Am I overlooking something?

Thanks!

Of course after posting this I decided to actually look at the documentation. :slight_smile: For the switch I just purchased, the notification parameter is 16, not 8. When I used parameter 16, the notification worked as designed. :slight_smile:

So, here is a related question that I didn’t find an answer to in the documentation. Is there a programatic way to turn off the notification? I know how to turn off the notification at the switch, but what if the condition that caused the notification ceases to be a problem? For example, I’m using the notification to indicate that the garage door is open after dark. If I close the garage door, I would like to clear the notification and let the status bar return to its normal operation.

Thanks again.

I set up the notification to mirror the state of my garage door switch. On if the door is open, off if the door is closed. This is an option in Smart Lighting Smartapp under “what do you want to do” select “Mirror Behavior” instead of “On” or “Off”.

1 Like

@kreene1987 I am assuming that this is for the Hubitat hub correct? I think I need to check into this as I am basically trying to do the same thing but setting each one individually, in RM.

If you send another notification, but with the duration set to 0 seconds, it will clear the existing notification and return to normal status bar.

Mine is Smartthings (v3 hub).

I’d like to place a request: Individual RGB LED access within the dimmer bar. I am assuming this is possible due to the chase/strobe/fade functionality of the dimmer switch.

My desired feature set would be like the homeseer switches where the top LED is for garage status (red/green), second for front door (red green), back door, all windows as a single status, etc.In addition, notifications should be able to be mapped to individual LED’s on the bar. I believe this would only add to the power of this switch.

This along with making some number of config button presses swapping between normal function (blue dimmer/notifications) and I’ll call it “Home Status Check”, and an additional preference to select one or the other permanently in switch settings. That way the master bedroom can basically be the master panel for the status of the house, whereas the garage switch can function normally.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I’m using Homeseer to control my lights and switches. Right now if the garage door is open and other conditions are true, I set the status of another switch to ‘red’. When the garage door is closed, I set the status back to ‘normal’. With the Inovelli I see how I could set a notification ‘on’, but I didn’t see how to turn it off. I just tried doing the simplest thing that might possibly work by sending 0 as the value to parameter 16 and lo and behold, the notification turned off and the status bar returned to whatever it was showing before I turned on the notification. Sometimes it pays to just do the obvious thing, particularly by looking at the documentation and seeing what the default setting is. :slight_smile:

I’d love a way to adjust the debounce configuration on the switches, it seems that often they detect a double tap when Im going for a single tap.
Also on the turning on faster I would like the option to configure it to always turn on/off on the first touch but also send a scene command if that followed (ie I want it to always act like a dumb switch but also allow me to send scene commands)

I’d like to see an on/off switch with a large indicator bar like the dimmers. While it wouldn’t provide any useful dimming animation, it would make color notifications more noticiable, and also make people happy if they are anal about things matching (like me!)

2 Likes

I would also like this. It’s the only reason I got the dimmer in some cases, but I’m using them with smart bulbs with local control disabled and don’t even need the dimmer (and would really prefer for them not to be connected to one, but I haven’t seen any problems with them permanently at level 99 yet in this setup).

In fact, I’d be OK with a “switchless switch” too, basically a powered scene/button device with an LED bar — similar in concept to a Lutron seeTouch, but similar in design to the Inovelli dimmer (though I wouldn’t complain if it were also somewhere between the two). That might be a bit of a niche market, but the advantage I’m thinking is that it could be a bit smaller without the actual switch/dimmer (and cheaper?).

I seem to recall a comment that the relay is much of the depth. So eliminating that I would think would allow a much shallower install.

Line/load could just pass through, allowing load to disconnect when pulling the air-gap tab.

I kind of like this idea? But I prefer the way it is. In our house the number of On/Off’s vs Dimmers are going to be about 50/50 when I’m completed. Maybe more dimmers than that. So the visual cue of the larger LED bar, for the dimmer, sets the expectations for the switches capabilities.

I can just hear the angry questions now… Why isn’t this dimmer changing the brightness of the lights?

1 Like