Parameter Settings for Master/Slave Switch in 3-Way with Two Inovellis?

Hello,

I’m wondering what the correct parameter settings (specifically for 21 and 22) for the gen 2 red series dimmer should be for a three-way with two innovelli switches. Additionally, I’m getting flickering during power up and power down with either switch. Tried a few iterations of max/min brightness but that didn’t help.

The lights are canless torchstar dimmable, confirmed they can dim properly in my other setups with innovelli dimmer switches. So I’m thinking it’s related to the current three-way setup.

Thanks!

Alex

21 is neutral or non-neutral depending on how the switch is wired. The one with the load could be either, but the one without a load pretty much has to be neutral.

22 should be single pole switch for both.

Did you associate groups 2, 3 and 4 between both of them? You need 3 and 4 at least for it to work but 2 is required if you set the dimming and ramp rates to different times and want that to work right.

1 Like

@jonesaphore you cannot wire two dimmers physically together. They must be associated together.

Thank you, I’ll give this a shot. I associated groups 2 and 4, I’ll add 3.

Yes, they are associated and not physically wired together. Thank you for posting that thread, lots of good info in there!

Thank you very much for updating the association setup as I knew the documentation hadn’t been updated for a while (originally was just 2 & 3 as I recall).

But I do have some questions (using 2 Inovelli Gen 2 Red Dimmers, i.e. LZW31-SN and a Hubitat C-7):

1. I know in the past that we were warned about trying to change the name while doing the initial association as that sometimes messed it up. Instead, I do the association, then go back into it to edit the name. Do you know if that has been fixed? (I know that is more on Hubitat’s end, but figured you or someone here would know that).

2. Why is param 12 for the non-load set to 11 (Timer & 3-way & Local) vs. the default of 15 (which I think is the same, but adds the z-wave hub)?

3. Should param 12 for the load be left at the default of 15 or set to 11 too? (And does it matter?)

4. For param 22 you say should be set to a “single pole switch” but in Hubitat, at least, that isn’t a choice for 22. The choices are: Load Only, 3-way Toggle or 3-way Momentary.

5. I understand we could not associate the Inovelli Red Dimmers with their Fan + Light.
    a. Is that still true?
    b. If so:
    1. Any idea if they can/will change that?
    2. What is the best way to sync up the light switch with a Red Dimmer?

6. Likewise, I have a Red Dimmer that controls a Phillips Hue bulb running with the Phillips hub. It works to turn the light on or off, but if I tell Alexa to turn the light on or off the LED on the Red Dimmer doesn’t change. How can I get the LED on the Red Dimmer to also go up or down when I’m controlling the light via Alexa?

Thanks,

If the load and non-load are 15 you end up with two dimmers fighting over the status of the light on the hub. You will see weird behaviors including the light turning on and off.

Set the load to 15 and non-load to 11.

Load dimmer should be "Load Only: Non-load dimmer I leave as “Load Only” but I don’t think it matters.

Just wanted to update this here. Adding the group 3 association has fixed the issue. Both switches work without flickering and LED status is updated on both.

Thanks,

Alex

Thanks for all the info and the fast reply.

I have been doing an association both ways on group 2 and I have been setting params 1-4 on both switches as 2, 2, 0, 0. That turns the load switch off virtually instantly, but when I turn the non-load switch off it fades out (due to the param being set to 2). I haven’t been able to find a way to get the non-load to switch off virtually instantly but also to get it to dim smoothly from the non-load switch.

Do you have any suggested settings?

Sorry but I’m a little confused. Are you trying to turn off instantly from one dimmer and fade from the other? Or are you trying to turn off instantly from both?

It’s the ramp rates that set how fast they turn on and off. I had it working the way you desire from both as long as group 2 was associated on both to the other. Without group 2 the one being physically switched would go off or on immediately but the one not being physically switched would ramp.

I’m trying to get them both to turn off as fast as possible, but still be able to do the dimmer from both physical switches. (I’m not setting 51 to disable the delay as I do want to do multi-taps in addition to on/of and the “favorite” (config) button.

What are your settings for params 1-4?

For my non-3 ways I set them as 0,3,0,0 but for the associated switches I find I need to set them 2,2,0,0.

I try to remember to check tonight. I pretty sure it was 1,1,0,0 and both would switch on and off immediately but would still have a delay when adjusting the dim level. I know setting the dimming speeds to 0 will cause it to jump from min to max when trying to adjust the dim level.

Someone posted that 2 of those parameters were swapped in older firmware that could explain your setting issue.

2, 2, 0, 0 almost works as expected for me. Red on 1.57 firmware with Black on 1.52 firmware. RED IS THE “master”. Both have a load. Both switch the other off immediately.

The Black one can’t control dimming right. Holding the paddle down continuously will cause it to dim a bit then stop. If I start at max brightness I almost can’t get it to dim to minimum no matter how many times or how long I hold the paddle.

Works great from the red. Both lights dim almost in time with each other. The black one tracks the red very well.

I’m beginning to think the Black dimmers have a firmware problem. I have another set of black-black also associated and they both act a little funny when being controlled by the other. The “slave” one has the same dimming problem as my red-black pair.

I’ve tried every combination of association and delays and nothing has fixed that dimming problem. The black slave won’t dim the master right.

I forgot. If I turn off zwave association on both then both devices can dim but the device not being locally controlled is jumpy. Well, red in control of the black is pretty smooth but black in control makes the other one jumpy.