Possible to have three Red 2-1 switches sync up to control two loads with Zwave Associations?

General info: all switches are Red 2-1 VZW31-SN, I have neutrals and travelers and EMT connecting all boxes, so there is flexibility if that is needed to achieve my goals. I’m using Home Assistant and ZWave JS UI.

I have a setup that used to be a 4-way dumb switch - three switches controlling one set of lights.

Switch A controls light A.
Switch B controls light B.
A and B are not connected electrically (although there are capped off travelers between them if this is needed).
Switch C does not control any load directly/mechanically (but again, capped off travelers if needed).

I have Switch A/B turning on/off Lights A/B just as single pole switches. I have a scene in HA so a double tap up/down turns on/off both. This works great.

I want Switch C to act as a master control for A&B as well as reflect their states (this is important to me just for correctness in HA as well as making the LED bar dim when the lights A and B are off). So if Switch C is turned on/off, both A and B are turned on/off. I have this working with ZWave associations (but here is where I get confused, can’t really find much info on how these work online, or at least I don’t understand the info I can fine.) Here is what I have in ZWave JS UI.

The problem I’m having is when I turn Switch A off when Switch B is already off, Switch C still stays on. Or I turn on Switch A and then Switch B, Switch C stays off. And the physical controls at the switch have different outcomes than via the dashboard in HA. Turning on Switch C at a paddle turns on both lights, but turning it on via HA it turns them on but HA doesn’t realize that A and B are on, even though the lights are on.

I’m not sure if I’ve hit all the combinations, but I think you get the idea of what I want. It’s almost as if Switch C is a group of A & B.

Is there a way to do this with Zwave associations? Or do I need to do automations, either in Home Assistant or Node Red?

You want A and B to work independent but also be controlled by C or all 3 to work together?

Associate groups 2-4 between C and the other 2 then set parameter 52-2 on for C and off for the other 2 will get them all working together.

I don’t think you can get A and B to work independent as well as C matching either ones on state and controlling both. The associations can’t do that. If it’s setup so that C can control both then when C gets turned on to match say A’s state that would also turn on B.

I want them to work independently but then also be controlled by C. Originally it was a multiway setup.

I’ll probably need to do some scenes and automations to make it all work the way I want it.

This is probably the best way. Use if then statements to get what you want.