Power outage appears to have bricked all my red dimmers

Yes, that is what I have been doing. Both the switch and the hub timeout with no changes.

Strange. It should exclude even if it’s not included. Does the led strip flash any colors when you press the config 3x?

Edit: Try pressing the config 8x. Maybe local control is disabled? If it flashes red local control is now disabled. Green means it is now enabled.

It pulses blue. But yes I believe the issue is that is simply isn’t communicating with the hub correctly.

Okay I will try that when I get home. That’s an interesting thought. I would think the factory reset should have taken care of that though.

Doesn’t a factory reset switch should go into inclusion mode when you click the config button 3 times?

I would think so. Grasping at straws at this point.

Yeah and it appears to do so (pulsing blue light), it just doesn’t ever include or exclude.

It may be worth digging out one of your in box dimmers and seeing if it can be included to rule out the hub.

I am able to include/exclude non inovelli products still. I would need to install one of my new inovelli dimmers which is unopened, but I’m cautious to do that until I have some confidence this won’t happen again.

I think I can safely rule out the hub though since I can exclude/include Zooz and GE devices.

Also I’m now learning that the failed devices still respond to pings interestingly. They just refuse to include/exclude properly.

That is curious, especially if they have been reset. I though you said above that you had manually removed the devices from your hub. In what way are you pinging them?

I manually removed 2, when you asked I checked remotely to be sure and two were failed but not removed. When I tried to remove them it said it couldn’t because they responded to a ping. I’m not home at the moment so can’t look further than that.

But those still won’t exclude, and they still respond to pings even after factory reset.

You do know that you have to put the hub into in/exclusion mode and then click the config button 3 times to do any inclusion or exclusion.

Yes, that is what I’ve been doing every time…

To be clear, I’ve done dozens of inclusions, exclusions, and factory resets on these devices and others many times. I can say with utmost confidence that I am doing these processes correctly and that there is something distinctly wrong with all of my dimmers. I’m just not sure what exactly is wrong and if it is repairable.

Update!!

I just got home and I was able to properly exclude and include one of the dimmers! All I did was not touch it for about 4 hours I guess.

The others are still having issues, but at least one has come back to life? I will have time to troubleshoot those more tomorrow.

2 Likes

Next morning update!

All of them appear to be working! It’s been around 32 hours since the outage, so they came back to life somewhere between 18 and 32 hours after the expected surge.

I’m still a little cautious, but I will monitor them for weird behavior over the coming weeks before installing anything new. I still find it very bizarre that only the inovelli dimmers were affected, so it might still be worth an investigation. But at least they returned to operation. Hopefully it’s not intermittent.

Also, does anyone have a good recommendation for a whole house surge protector? Type 1 or Type 2? My panel is a little full at the moment, but I think there is enough room.

Or should I just trust my electrician to take care of it?

1 Like

Are the other devices in your mesh Z-Wave or Z-Wave+? Could the problem have been caused by the Z-Wave mesh needing to rebuild itself after all devices lost power???

Everything in my network is Zwave+. I don’t believe that is the case, as it only takes my network around 20 minutes to completely heal. I have also had power outages before (usually less than a few minutes though), and I regularly power cycle my hub and/or devices.

Also zwavejs2mqtt indicates on the interface that it is healing the network. It specifically noted these devices as dead, not healing. If I attempted to heal, it would actually skip these devices as it considered them dead.

I think it is clear that something was compromised on the devices in this suspected surge, but somehow whatever happened to them was able to recover. I am just hoping it isn’t intermittent.

These are the ones I’ve installed in the last 3 houses. CHSPT2ULTRA | Eaton CHSPT2 surge protection device | Eaton

Check with your electricity provider as some of them will provide you with an entry SPD at the meter base.

1 Like

Nice, I just ordered the same one based on some quick research and what I can get fast. I will check with my service provider though too and return this if needed.

Thanks!

1 Like

I also wanted to mention that generator that is producing modified sine and not the pure sine, will eventually kill most of the sensitive electronics such as IOT devices, TVs ,computers, etc…
I ended up installing this surge protector and I got the inverter generator which produces cleaner power the any utility company would. The biggest one I could fine was this Champion geny. I do have about 50 Red dimmers plus some Red On/Off switches and some other brand IOT devices and last thing that I need is power outage/serge bricking them.