Power Reporting Is Now Inaccurate

Oh yeah I’m a data-hound too! I saw Hubigraphs a while back but forgot about it :blush: Thanks for the memory jog :+1: Looks like it should work, although initial setup seems a bit daunting. Time to roll up my sleeves and dive in…

I kinda figured :wink: That is a nice feature to have baked in. Hubigraphs looks like a powerful add-on to Hubitat so I think I’ll start heading down that rabbit hole and see how it goes :grin:

I set up something similar in Hubitat and discovered I have another switch (3rd one for me) that is doing this. @Eric_Inovelli @EricM_Inovelli is there anything more we can do to help you get to the root of this?

Please add me to the private discussion. I do use this feature and would like to help get it resolved if possible.

I have not yet been put in touch with the manufacturer, but 1.53 does have some provisions that might help us (or so I’m told).

I’ll see if I can get you into our message.

My dimmer was working just fine (for a couple weeks), but now it is essentially stuck on 2.0 watts or 0 if it’s off. My other no dimming red switch is still working fine on another circuit.

@Eric_Inovelli @kreene1987 Can you add me to the discussion?

I’m now seeing the behavior of reporting 1.6W at any dim level on one of my LZW31-SN’s. Seems like this must be a hardware issue rather than anything related to the firmware version.

I just found this thread after searching for “1.6 W”. My new inovelli red dimmer switch only reports 1.6W no matter what load I have on it. I tried submitting a ticket to support. I also excluded it from my network then re-added it with the config button and put it back in. Same thing. What are my options to get power reporting working? Should I return this to Amazon? Seems a shame because everything else about the switch is so great.

@Eric_Inovelli at some point we should probably publish the manufacturers solution, but could you add @lordmundi to our PM string?

1 Like

I have the same issue with one of my red series dimmers reporting 1.6W regardless of actual load. If there is a solution, please publish. Thanks

1 Like

I’m not sure what the manufacturers solution is that is alluded to above by @kreene1987 but I do have one thing to add in case it is helpful to others: when I was removing my switch to box it up and send it back to Inovelli, I noticed that my neutral wire was run into the red screw for the “Traveler” wire, and not into the neutral wire. I can’t believe I made a bozo error like that. But… I did. And now I can confirm it is working correctly. So, this data point means that when the power monitoring isn’t working, it could be some issue with the neutral wire connection that causes it to read 1.6W. At least that was the failure mode in my case. So for folks like @john, be sure to check your neutral wire connection is good everywhere.

1 Like

Thank you for the hint on what to check. My neutrals look good. I have three Red Series Dimmers in a 3-gang box and all neutrals look good. Two out of the three switches report the erroneous 1.6W. In the beginning, all three were working fine. After a week or two of operation is when I noticed the erroneous power reporting. The dimmers are controlling dumb, dimmable LED bulbs. Everything else works properly.

@john Can you look under the wall plate to see the date code on the device?

Would like to add that I have one Red dimmer exhibiting the same functionality. 2w shown when it should be closer to 27w.
Screenshot_20220120-113632

This switch is in a three-way configuration with a neutral and regular three-way toggle switch on the other side. I believe the date code is 09/20.

My date code is 0121 (upper left corner of metal face/heatsink). I just checked and one dimmer switch with this date code is showing expected load and another switch with the same date code is showing 1.7W when I expect about around 60 or 75 W.

I should have added to my previous reply-- My loads are all LED lights and I have neutral wiring in a house around 15 y.o.

@Eric_Inovelli - Is there a published solution for this? I’m experiencing this on three out of my four Red series switches. I filed a ticket in January 2021, but (understandably based on this thread) there was no resolve.

I am now at 2 out of 7 red switches with this same issue. I would love a resolution even if it means a little soldering work. This was a big selling feature for me to buy the red over the black. Fairly disappointed it’s stopped working.

A little worried the blue will have the same issue

I’m not sure there’s a published version – @EricM_Inovelli do we have instructions anywhere internally?

What hub are you using?

I’m currently using Home Assistant; however, this issue began while I was using Hubitat.

Tagging @kreene1987 as earlier posts indicate involved so may know more.