Power Reporting Is Now Inaccurate

So I have a Red Series Dimmer (one from the presale shipments) that recently started reporting about 2 watts when it’s been reporting about 26 watts pretty consistently. I am using the n-1 Inovelli driver. Loading has not changed: 4x 8.5w dimmable LEDs at 85% brightness. All power reporting parameters are set to the default values.

I have 2 other dimmers using the same driver and default power reporting parameters, but with different loads. They are still reporting, consistently, about what I would expect to see for their loads.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there any known fixes?

Edit: So the actual power being reported is 1.7W and does not seem to change whether the dimmer is set to 10% or 100%.

1 Like

@EricM_Inovelli quick search brought this up for my issue on 1.52. Not sure if related or not…

I had one do this several months ago and Inovelli replaced it under warranty. I now have another one that started doing this (which I reported in the other thread) and still waiting to hear back from Inovelli.

Can you see if you are getting power reports every 30 seconds? That was the other symptom I’m seeing when the incorrect power reporting happens

Might I ask how I check in HA? I thought it was set for 3600 seconds (every hour) or 10% change, but I can tweak those and look at what might be up.

I guess you didn’t read my last post in the other thread I linked?

I’m not talking about the driver settings . What I’m seeing is that when the switch starts reporting these incorrect 1.6W power readings, it ALSO sends a power report every 30 seconds … regardless of the Power Reporting Interval settings. They can be seen in the logs (if you have info logging enable).

In other words, what I’m seeing is that the power is always showing 1.6W regardless of the actual power load, AND the device is sending zwave power status reports back to the hub every 30 seconds regardless of the reporting interval settings (default 3600 seconds or 10% change)

09:15:10.409 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:14:39.504 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:14:07.697 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:13:35.012 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:13:03.187 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:12:32.472 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:12:00.637 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:11:28.936 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:10:58.139 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:10:26.259 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:09:56.584 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:09:24.884 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:08:52.986 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:08:21.192 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:07:52.521 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:07:20.577 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:06:49.884 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W
09:06:21.013 am infoSink light: Power report received with value of 1.6 W

Hmmm? That’s really strange. At that time, on my hubitat, I would only see the power reports when I first turned on the switch (>10% change) and then every hour (or however I set the reporting interval) thereafter.

So I’m guessing this may be a St thing and not an LZW-31 FW issue.

But then again, at that time I was using different LZW-31 FW, a different driver, and a different hub (C-3). So I could be wrong.

If by “St” you mean SmartThings, then no its not an ST thing. I’m using Hubitat. And I don’t believe its a FW issues because they are all running the same firmware and only one device is doing it.

You have to enable Info logging in the device settings to see these in the log. And it only happens on the switch that has the power sensing problem. The other switches report correctly based on the interval (3600 seconds default) or %change (10% default)

Do you have info logging enabled in the device settings? Also it only sends them when the switch is ON.

This is the 2nd switch I’ve had that started with the incorrect power reporting always stuck at 1.6W. The first one I didn’t check to see if it was sending reports every 30 seconds. So I don’t know if these two bugs go together or just a coincidence on this one switch I have doing it now.

At that time, I had both debug and info logging enabled for debug purposes. So something else must be going on… However, as I stated, that was a while back (March 2020). Sooooo many variables have changed since then…

But to answer your other questions, yes, when the switch was on, No matter what the dimmer level was set to, it reported 1.7W. It should have been reading about 25-30 at full load.

LOL ooops I didn’t notice the date on your original posts :blush:

Yeah, the first switch I had do this was back in Sep 2020 and I didn’t notice if it was doing the excessive reporting back then. I was focused on the 1.6w error at that time. It wasn’t until I got a 2nd one doing it now that I noticed this additional bug and not sure if they are linked or not. Would be very curious if @kreene1987 sees these frequent power reports also (not sure the process to see it on HA though :thinking: )

LOL! We’re updating our updates to the updates at the same time…

I took my issue offline, but I no longer think this is related to 1.52 firmware. Now that I threw together a dashboard in HA, MANY more devices are exhibiting the same behavior. I’m not sure what is up but I’ll report back if/when I get to a resolution with the Eric’s.

I’ll create a private message with the PM of our manufacturer. It’s hard to say what may be causing this.

@kreene1987 – do you mind if I either add ppl to your message or start a new one using your information?

2 Likes

Please include me as I have talked with @EricM_Inovelli about this same issue a lot and have been able to recreate the issue with at least one method consistently.

Add people is fine. I don’t see any private info that can’t be shared.

1 Like

Need a little clarification here.

I believe 1.6W is the lowest number that it can report (other than 0w when off). I have other fully functional dimmers that will report 1.6w when the dimmer is set to its lowest setting. But they will report higher power usage when the dimmer level is set higher. I don’t see that as a bug or issue.

The issue here is there are some dimmers that fail in a way where the power is always 1.6w when the switch is on, regardles of the dimming level on the load (it still reports 0w when off). And also I’m seeing excessive frequency of power reports (every 30 secs) when this happens but still not confirmed if other people have this 2nd symptom or if its a totally separate bug.

I can confirm, for me anyway, that this 30-second power reading interval is (still) not happening. I have a relatively new dimmer (purchased September '20) that I just noticed has failed. Number 4 for me. I’m not sure if you tried factory resetting the dimmer or not? But that has not worked for me.

So with the (current) HW set up, below, and both informational & debug logging enabled. I am only seeing power reports when I turn the dimmer on/off and based on the intervals entered for the power and energy reporting registers.

Not having the test equipment to prove it, I believe this is a HW failure. But I think we should wait to hear what @Eric_Inovelli and @EricM_Inovelli hear from the design team. I hope they find out soon, as there is a couple of hubitat, RM rules, that I’m afraid to run as I believe I’d have more of these…

Hubitat C-7:
FW: 2.2.5.131

Inovelli LZW31-SN:
FW: 1.48
Driver date: 2020-10-01

Behavior for me is similar. 0 when off (not ~1.5 ish for the switch itself like the working ones, literally 0 W). 1.6 (or 1.7) W when on. That’s all I get. I need to dive into my z-wave logs to see if I am getting the 30s power reports:

I am also interesting in discussing with the manufacturer. I have tried deleting node/resetting switch/adding node and the behavior is unchanged.

Is that report a native feature HomeAssistant or are you using some other app to generate that? Anybody know how to get a similar report from Hubitat?

I’ve been eyeing Hubigraphs on the Hubitat website. I love data… So I can see myself getting into a lot of trouble :wink:

Hopefully work will begin to slow down soon (I can dream) so that I’ll have some time to play with this later this spring.

1 Like

100% stock baked in feature for components with numeric states in Home Asssistant. It’s really nice!

No idea on Hubitat, never used it.