Red Series 2-in-1 Dimmer LED Notifications

I am having trouble getting the ledEffectAll() custom command to work in Hubitat for two LED notifications I have. The device is the VZW31-SN and is running FW v1.0

I have two older Inovelli switches whose drivers supported separate notification configurations and are working on the same rule with no issues.

I followed the steps in the “Setting up Animated Notifications” help article, noticing that it was developed with an older version of the VWZ31-SN driver.

I have also read various Hubitat and Inovelli forum pages and tried several things mentioned.

Lastly, I tested the LedEffectAll command on the Hubitat device page itself and was able to see that my parameters were all correct. In the event log, there is an entry when I went through the device page that says: “ledEffect” with a value of “Solid All”.

For my notification command through my rule definition the event log has “ledEffect” with a value of “unknown(‘3’, ‘0’, ‘50’, ‘255’) All”

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

BTW: I have tried string as ‘3’, ‘0’, ‘50’, ‘255’ as well as 3, 0, 50, 255 with no difference.

Have you tried the LED Mini-Dashboard?

That is what I use now for all my notifications as it is simple to use and works very, very well.

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply. I had actually never heard of the LED Mini-Dashboard.

If I have three separate light switches (1 VZW31, 1 LZW31 & 1 LWZ30) do I create three separate topics?

I would start with one topic that has all the devices that can be added to it, then if some devices couldn’t be added to it, you can create other topics for the other switch(es).

Make sure you add each parameter of the ledeffectall command as an individual.

1 Like

For the LZW switches, you’ll need to make sure they’re the -SN in order for notifications to work.

Thanks @harjms! I didn’t notice the fact they were separate parameters and not one string with commas. Feel kinda dumb there. :man_facepalming:
All the switches I have are the -SN version, but that was a good thing to mention for sure.

@SViel: I played around with the mini-dashboard and got things to work across all three switches. It has some pretty good features too. Thanks again for the tip.

2 Likes

Nah don’t. I did it that way too at first, and I was wondering why my notification was always red. @mamber pointed me in the right direction and I got it sorted out.

I did download the mini-dashboard tool too, but I haven’t gone through it to see if it would be easier than RM.

1 Like

I am really confused here.

I am trying to get this to work, everything that shows in this thread has 4 sets of numbers, but this shows only two … the 99 and the 123823359

what I have below does not work… the instructions here → Setting Up Animated Notifications • Hubitat | Inovelli Help Center

basically says put 99 in and then done. since I have a VZW31-SN Red?

what am I doing wrong here. what I am I not understanding?

I can’t remember if the Reds use LEDEFFECTALL. I don’t have any reds, but @mamber may know off the top his head.

99 is correct. I use it to set one of my red 2-1. I’m using HA but it will apply to Hubitat too. Just to clarify this is the new zwave (Red Series) 2-1?

It’s a VZW31-SN

But the instructions are horrible, I was able to get it to work, but I ended up using the same that I did for my two-in-one blue switch.

I’m confused. But it works in guess. Just randomly cause tried because inhabe that blue swith

Can someone show an example on what it should look like with the 99 perimeter?

Instead of selecting LEDeffectall, select startnotification (assuming reds have it, I don’t have a red to verify). That may be your ticket.

Instead of selecting ledEffectAll, select setParameter

Dang it that’s what I had before I edited but second guessed it.

Can you show me an example on how that works? is it 99, and then the number, are they tow diffect numbers? IDK

you can do it with either the ledEffectAll or setParameter. Whichever you prefer.

ledEffectAll requires 4 separate numeric parameters. First is the effect#, second is the color, 3rd is level, 4th is duration.

setParameter requires 2 separate numeric parameters. The first is 99, second is the configuration value you get from the calculator.

The choice is up to you. You don’t need the calculator for ledEffectAll, but its a little more work to enter the 4 separate values in Rule Machine. setParameter is easier to enter in Rule Machine, but you need the calculator to encode/decode the configured value.

1 Like

Thank you, that makes sence. The document that Inovelli should just say that I suppose, it really does not give any examples or details. It was weird. cause I followed the 4 parameters because that is what I did for the Blue switch and it just worked. but for giggles, I will try the setParameter.

thanks again. seems to work