Red Series Dimmer Bulb Compatiblity

Hello,

I am a bit confused with bulb compatibility with the Red Series dimmer switch. My specific bulbs in question are not in the compatibility app. I’d like to get a better understanding of things before I buy some dimmers where I intend to use them.

I have some specialty candelabra LED bulbs that are dimmable with CL or universal dimmers. If I understand things correctly, the Red Series dimmers are MLV? Does this mean my bulbs are incompatible or will things still work? What would happen if using the RED series switches with bulbs that aren’t compatible?

The red series dimmers are MOSFET Leading Edge dimmers. They will work with MLV low voltage transformers and will not work with ELV low voltage transformers. So if you want to get a good sense of whether or not your bulbs are compatible, you should research to see if they are compatible with MOSFET Leading Edge dimmers.

CL dimmers were developed by Lutron in efforts to be compatible with as many CFL and LED bulbs as possible. I know you stated your bulbs are compatible with CL dimmers, but I don’t know if it’s possible to determine if they would be compatible with a Red Series based on knowing that.

Bulb compatibility can be tough with LEDs. The only real way to know is to try them or to find someone that has. If you past back with the make/model of the bulbs, it’s possible someone here has had some experience with them.

There are many incompatibility side effects. Bulbs or dimmers buzzing, bulbs flashing, bulbs not turning off fully and bulbs not properly dimming are some of them.