Red Series Dimmer not associating

I recently installed a 4-way Inovelli Red Series Dimmer (Gen 2) switches. I’m new to z-wave and smart switches, so please be patient with me.

For some reason, I can’t get one of the child switches to associate to the main switch, while the other switch associates just fine.
I’ve applied the association multiple times and it appears to be on the device if I look at the “data” section, it shows (this is the non-working child device):

• associationGroup1: [01]
  • associationGroup2: []
  • associationGroup3: [0A]
  • associationGroup4: [0A]

The other child dimmer is setup this exact same way, except for some reason it shows the association groups in a different order, but I don’t think that’s the issue (this is the working child device):

• associationGroup4: [0A]
  • associationGroup3: [0A]

And this is the parent device connected to the load:

• associationGroup3: [0B, 0C]
  • associationGroup4: [0B, 0C]

In the official guide it says to associate group 2 and 4, however after chatting with someone in another thread, they said to do groups 3 & 4.
However, even if I do groups 2 & 4, it still doesn’t associate.

I’ve factory reset the device and tried multiple times, and it still won’t work. Any ideas?

I got it working. I think the problem was something with the parent switch. I excluded and factory reset all 3 switches and started from scratch, and now its working.

1 Like

Since this is posted in the Hubitat sub-forum, I’ll assume you’re using a Hubitat Hub. While the hub isn’t needed for z-wave associations, Hubitat does have a nice “Association Tool” app which makes it really easy to create and setup associations. If you’re not using it already, I highly recommend it :+1:

If all the switches in the 4-way are multiLevel switches (dimmers) then groups 3 and 4 should cover it. But if you have any On/Off (smart) switches in the 4-way then you need group 2 also.

Yeah I was using the association tool.
I’m not sure if anyone else has been having issues with it, but I setup 1 4-way switch and 3 3-way switches. Each one took multiple attempts of resetting to factory and doing the associations until they finally took.