Red Series Dimming Speed Z-Wave

I did update both files. The second file did go much quicker!

I’m updating my other Inovelli dimmer with the firmware now. It failed on the first try. …Just restarted the firmware update.

I’ll check on which driver I’m using. I wasn’t aware that there were updates to the user built drivers. I’m sure mine are older. I installed them all years ago, set them up and then forgot about them. They all still work great, I just came across this dimming issue when I was trying to add something new. I probably should be checking all of my firmware and drivers more often to keep them all up to date. Sometimes I even get very behind on my hubitat updates… everything just works and I forget about it. Which is a good thing!

I have the buttons set with multi taps for scenes. From some of the posts over on the Hubitat forum I see that different drivers assign the numbers for the taps differently. Is this something I need to be concerned about? …breaking my scenes via the multi taps because of using a different driver?

I really appreciate all of the direction! Thanks so much!

I believe all the Inovellis should be the same except that the gen3 switches support more button taps so they have bigger numbers, but the lower numbers should be the same as far as I know. Can you give an example of where you think they are different?

I’ll have to look over on the Hubitat forum and find where someone mentioned that the tap numbering was set up differently based on the drivers you use. Maybe I was reading about a gen3 switch as you mention.

So, now I have a problem with my other Inovelli dimmer. I tried to update that switch to the new firmware. It looks like the first firmware file was successful, but the second file keeps failing. After two days of this I decided to just switch back from the Z-Wave update driver to the regular dimmer driver, but now my scene tap function doesn’t work on that switch. I assume that’s because it’s only partially updated?
Sometimes the second .bin file fails and sometimes it just stays at 8% or 10% for 12 hours.

Failed:

Failed:

Switched back to the user made switch driver and firmware is not updated:

So how do I fix this issue now?

Here is where I read about the different drivers affecting the buttons.

I had that problem. I put the older firmware back and did the bin file first and it finally worked. You could try the dimmer closer to the hub if that isn’t too hard to do.

So use the Z-Wave updater to load the 1.35 firmware again?

Whatever is the latest version otz to use the bin file on the device.

I tried to revert the firmware back to 1.35 but it’s failing every time.
The switch only works now as a dumb switch. Would love a solution to this! I don’t understand how one switch updated with no problem (took an extremely long time but it updated fine) but this one won’t. And this one is closer to the hub than the one that updated successfully.

I’m going to bump this thread.

I STILL have been unable to resolve my issue of updating the firmware on my second dimmer. I’ve submitted a support request on this as well.

At this point, I am trying to revert the firmware back to 1.35.
As it stands, the swich doesn’t work unless I operate it from the switch itself.

What I’m getting now when I try to do any kind of firmware update is a “please wake up your sleepy device” message. I don’t know how to get past this issue. Nothing I do gets me anywhere.

suggestions please!

Since you are having a considerable amount of trouble, it might be worth removing the device and adding it to SiLabs PC Controller and flash it there. You’ll need a spare Zwave stick and a PC.

1 Like

I’ll have to purchase a Zwave stick for that.

I was able to finally, successfully upgrade the firmware!

Here are the steps I took that finally worked:
I excluded the device
I then did a reset by holding the small button until the light turned green, then yellow and finally red
I also pulled the air gap on the device
I then re included the device
Everything worked as it should
I then switched to the new driver as linked by @mamber above
the new driver fixed the dimming issue that started all of my problems
I was still having issues trying to update to new firmware so I made one more try by reinstalling the “Z-Wave firmware updater” driver one more time and then I tried updating the firmware again.
This time it worked… and it only took about 45 minutes for both files to update which is a big improvement from the last switch I updated which took 3 hours!

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 12.57.56 AM